HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

The LP2475w has quite low input lag (about 25-30ms) relative to other IPS panels and MVA/PVA panels. You shouldn't notice lag gaming on this monitor.

From my point of view, the quality is rather good. Although this may spark wide-gamut vs non-wide-gamut standard sRGB arguments. We have plenty of those on this forum. I would advise AGAINST purchasing monitors from Newegg because they have a strict 8-dead-pixel policy. If you receive a monitor with 7 dead/stuck pixels, you'll have a hard time RMAing it. The monitor can be found for cheaper on many other websites.

Any good starters on where to look for the monitor cheap? And I don't mean to spark more debates or go over already trodden ground. I read parts of this thread and I gather the quality is quite good, save some issues with text.

Would you recommend also investing in something to test & calibrate the color settings, or should I just read a review and use the same setting they did and tweak from there to account for slight differences between each manufactured unit?

Thanks for the reply!

Any good starters on where to look for the monitor cheap? And I don't mean to spark more debates or go over already trodden ground. I read parts of this thread and I gather the quality is quite good, save some issues with text.

eBay

Amazon

Buy.com

Provantage

Would you recommend also investing in something to test & calibrate the color settings, or should I just read a review and use the same setting they did and tweak from there to account for slight differences between each manufactured unit?
Thanks for the reply!

The out-of-box settings for this monitor are not too good and I think it DOES need to be calibrated. If you have a hardware colorimeter, that is best. If not, you can get pretty close to optimal results using a pre-configured ICC profile (from TFTCentral) and the corresponding settings.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Thanks for the reply!

I used the ICC profile and setting from TFTCentral and tested it with my colorimeter and it was very, very good. Even after I did a full calibration myself, the settings from TFTCentral were almost as good. If you don't already have a colorimeter, I'd say use the TFTCentral settings and call it good.

If you are not doing color critical work, the TFT Central settings and profile work perfectly.

I’ve been following this thread and it looks like the HP LP2475w just might be the most ideal LCD monitors to date. I’m about to purchase this monitor but I’m wondering if anyone here has also used the LP2475w with XBOX 360 and or a PS3?

I’m interested in this monitor because of its excellent picture quality but it will be mainly used as a PC gaming and XBOX 360/PS3 monitor.

This also brings up the question, would I be better off just going for say a 32” HDTV (Samsung LN32A650) instead.

I’ve been following this thread and it looks like the HP LP2475w just might be the most ideal LCD monitors to date. I’m about to purchase this monitor but I’m wondering if anyone here has also used the LP2475w with XBOX 360 and or a PS3?

I’m interested in this monitor because of its excellent picture quality but it will be mainly used as a PC gaming and XBOX 360/PS3 monitor.

This also brings up the question, would I be better off just going for say a 32” HDTV (Samsung LN32A650) instead.
You would be better off with the 32" Samsung, without a doubt.

I just playing around with my main work LP2475W and noticed the backlight hours are at 1931 hours allready.. I'm pretty surprised by the high number. I guess I'm using WAY too much time in front of the computer :D

Does anyone has any idear how many hours will this baby be serving me before the light dims and will color accuracy suffer (even with continued calibration) from the loss in light?

Hi guys. Just reporting in after having my monitor for a while now. I have generally been very happy with it. No duff pixels (Yet) and no percieved uniformity problems except on pure colour backgrounds and I am not even sure it's just me seeing things. I do not notice that when in general use. Also image retention seems pretty much next to zero which makes me very happy as I use it for long hours (Too many).

I have one thing I want to query however (Well two actually).

I used the TFTCentral profile and settings and am generally pleased with them. However I was looking at one of the test images on TFTCentral (The one with the grey shaded boxes within bigger boxes) and noticed that on two of the boxes I could not make out the smaller boxes inside.

I went into the Nvidia control panel and had to up the gamma level to 65-70 in order to barely see them (As it should be). This however made the screen somewhat brighter so I knocked it down from the previous 12 to about 8.

I was wondering how others have found the profile in regards to that. Link here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/calibrating.htm and scroll down to the squares.

The other thing is I am still looking into getting a hardware colorimeter but being me I would prefer the best I can get. The Lacie Blue Eye Pro seems to be the benchmark everyone measures against. Didn't someone mention you can get a cut down version of this for sale and then just get the Pro software to make it the full thing? Or is that another brand I am thinking of?

You would be better off with the 32" Samsung, without a doubt.

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if the extra real estate with the 32” HDTV might be a better way to go versus better image quality with the HP LP2475w if the LCD is primarily going be used as a gaming display.

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if the extra real estate with the 32” HDTV might be a better way to go versus better image quality with the HP LP2475w if the LCD is primarily going be used as a gaming display.

For gaming, go 32".

I just got my HP LP2475w yesterday from UPS and now I can safely say that I will never buy a TN ever again. This monitor made me a convert. I used the settings from TFT Central and now I see colors that I've never seen before. Love it.

Hi guys. Just reporting in after having my monitor for a while now. I have generally been very happy with it. No duff pixels (Yet) and no percieved uniformity problems except on pure colour backgrounds and I am not even sure it's just me seeing things. I do not notice that when in general use. Also image retention seems pretty much next to zero which makes me very happy as I use it for long hours (Too many).

I have one thing I want to query however (Well two actually).

I used the TFTCentral profile and settings and am generally pleased with them. However I was looking at one of the test images on TFTCentral (The one with the grey shaded boxes within bigger boxes) and noticed that on two of the boxes I could not make out the smaller boxes inside.

I went into the Nvidia control panel and had to up the gamma level to 65-70 in order to barely see them (As it should be). This however made the screen somewhat brighter so I knocked it down from the previous 12 to about 8.

I was wondering how others have found the profile in regards to that. Link here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/calibrating.htm and scroll down to the squares.

The other thing is I am still looking into getting a hardware colorimeter but being me I would prefer the best I can get. The Lacie Blue Eye Pro seems to be the benchmark everyone measures against. Didn't someone mention you can get a cut down version of this for sale and then just get the Pro software to make it the full thing? Or is that another brand I am thinking of?

I can see all the squares except the bottom two on the left, but my brightness is down to 15 and gamma is default in the nVidia control panel. But that image is really testing contrast not gamma. Here is a better way to check gamma,,,

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

...mine is 2.2 across the board.

Deadman3000:

Eye One Display 2 is the same colorimeter as the Lacie and a heck of a lot cheaper. It also comes with Eye One Match which does the job unless you are a pro.

For anyone interested, eBay has one more LP2475W for $500 (free shipping and brand new). There were two, but I bought one. :)

The next lowest price is $550 (also free shipping). Still a pretty good deal, considering PriceGrabber reports the lowest online price to be ~$600.

Will there be a problem with HP if you need to rma or use the warranty on those ebay purchases? Just curious, can't be too careful during this recession.

Most of these eBay auctions state "factory warranty" for 3 years. But who knows? From experience, most hardware manufacturers rely on serial numbers and production date to determine the warranty period, and extends it when a dated receipt is available. Nonetheless, I will register the monitor with HP.

I also paid with my American Express card (via PayPal), which extends the warranty by another year. :) Incidentally, the seller's email address is "at hp.com". Interesting...

I received my LP2475w yesterday. It has rev GIG111 with fabrication date januari 2009 and is made in the Czech Republic and has F/W GIG 045. So it seems that GIG111 is not necessarily on older revision. From what I have read in this thread is that GIG122 seems to made in China and GIG111 is made in the Czech Republic. I live in the Netherland by the way.

First impression, a green tint from center to left. I calibrated the display using an i1 display 2. I wear glasses +5d and +6d which is quite strong and the thing I noticed that this panel has strong color convergence in comparison with my 2 year old Acer 2423 with a S-PVA panel. This color convergence is only noticable to people wearing glasses. I have read in this thread that some complained about text readability and difficulty with focus. In comparison to the S-PVA panel this S-IPS panel is much more difficult for me to read and I see a lot of color shifting (due to my glasses).

I called HP and complaint about the green tint, they immediately wanted to send a replacement, great service! But after a couple of hours operating time the green tint diminished to a level where it only can be noticed on a white or light gray background. It is still there and annoys me but it is questionable if the monitor is faulty and a replacement would be better.

What I would like to know if there is anybody with a GIG122 revision in the Netherlands and would like to hear his or her impression. I don't think the GIG122 is available in Europe.

My Soyo had a brutal accident(nose dive from flimsy stand and reckless friend :( ) so I guess i'll be joining the HP LP2475w club. Praying to the no dead pixel/defects panel gods aside, i'm sure i'll love this monitor.

Hey guys, I need your help. I'm considering getting this screen for some graphics work at home so I am doing my research reading forums and reviews etc.. However, I'm a bit confused about something, PRAD (link) calibrated and tested the monitor to sRGB standard with a maximum dE of 10 and average being 3.7. TFTcentral(link) on the other hand seems to have completely different results with maximum dE being 0.5 and average dE being 0.3.

Why the big difference in results, am I reading the information wrong or something?

I think that is because PRAD was trying to get it to replicate sRGB, which it does poorly, being wide-gamut. The TFTCentral results weren't comparing it to the sRGB colorspace. At least that's how I read it - I know mine calibrated to something less than 1 across the board.

I think that is because PRAD was trying to get it to replicate sRGB, which it does poorly, being wide-gamut. The TFTCentral results weren't comparing it to the sRGB colorspace. At least that's how I read it - I know mine calibrated to something less than 1 across the board.

ok, I have to admit, I am a little confused now.. so what do the TFTcentral results represent? I thought the dE value for a given color was a measurement of the deviation that was being presented on the screen as compared to whatever standard it is being tested against? In the section where TFTcentral calibrate their monitor they have this graph:
calibrated.jpg

the button labeled "sRGB" is checked so that's why I thought it meant you can calibrate the monitor to show sRGB colors accurately to that degree.. or does it mean that "color aware" programs will show sRGB source images accurate to the degree TFTcentral results show and non managed programs will deviate to about what PRAD results show?

Or am I still completely wrong?

Sorry for being dumb, but after reading so much info from different sources on the subject it seems I'm as lost as ever when I thought I was making progress :p

As I understand it, the OSD settings could affect calibration. PRAD and TFTCentral used different OSD settings:

PRAD: Brightness 13, contrast 80, RGB values 255, 236, and 255.

TFTCentral: Brightness 17, contrast 65, RGB values 251, 235 and 242.

ok, I have to admit, I am a little confused now.. so what do the TFTcentral results represent? I thought the dE value for a given color was a measurement of the deviation that was being presented on the screen as compared to whatever standard it is being tested against? In the section where TFTcentral calibrate their monitor they have this graph:
calibrated.jpg

the button labeled "sRGB" is checked so that's why I thought it meant you can calibrate the monitor to show sRGB colors accurately to that degree.. or does it mean that "color aware" programs will show sRGB source images accurate to the degree TFTcentral results show and non managed programs will deviate to about what PRAD results show?

Or am I still completely wrong?

Sorry for being dumb, but after reading so much info from different sources on the subject it seems I'm as lost as ever when I thought I was making progress :p

The sRGB in that screenshot is just selecting what the reference triangle is (the orange triangle in the chart). If they had selected Adobe RGB the triangle would be bigger, since the Adobe RGB color space is larger than the sRGB one. The black triangle is what the monitor can display, by comparison.

PRAD was trying, I guess, to show how well the monitor compared to sRGB standards - I'm not sure why they compare it that way, but I guess some people want to know how well the monitor can emulate sRGB (via an OSD setting). A native sRGB monitor, like the 2490WUXI would do very well on that test, as would a monitor with a good sRGB emulation (I guess) - but the 2475W's sRGB emulation is not very good, TFTCentral's review also addresses that and says it isn't very good in sRGB mode.

This link explains it better than I can, and the linked articles from Xbit Labs are also good.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/speccontent.htm#gamut

PRAD was trying, I guess, to show how well the monitor compared to sRGB standards - I'm not sure why they compare it that way, but I guess some people want to know how well the monitor can emulate sRGB (via an OSD setting). A native sRGB monitor, like the 2490WUXI would do very well on that test, as would a monitor with a good sRGB emulation (I guess) - but the 2475W's sRGB emulation is not very good, TFTCentral's review also addresses that and says it isn't very good in sRGB mode.

That's what they were doing in the "Comparison of sRGB mode with sRGB standard" section on Part 10 of PRAD LP2475W Review. On the next page though (Part 11), they showed calibrated result as compared to sRGB, which is significantly different than TFTCentral. Hence jid's post.

That's what they were doing in the "Comparison of sRGB mode with sRGB standard" section on Part 10 of PRAD LP2475W Review. On the next page though (Part 11), they showed calibrated result as compared to sRGB, which is significantly different than TFTCentral. Hence jid's post.

Yeah, that's what I don't get, in that TFTcentral graphic they have the monitor's gamut triangle and the sRGB triangle, obviously the monitor can display a wider gamut and has a bigger triangle so that part's pretty straight forward even for me.. but with the dE graph being right next to it I figured the deviation values after calibrating (via OSD and at the graphics card level) were compared against sRGB standard.

On page 11 of the PRAD review from the wording I thought they did the same thing, also after that they calibrated their monitor to AdobeRGB and got much better results in that space obviously with the monitor being wide gamut, but dE values are still worse than what TFTcentral show. It's a bit confusing, if TFTcentral isn't calibrating to sRGB standard then I don't get the point of what they did.

I'm going to read around a bit more, TFT has some kind of forum maybe I'll just ask over there what the deal is and hopefully learn how to read all this stuff properly. And if that fails I'm just getting a NEC :D

I have had the 2475 for a couple of weeks and am noticing a couple of things...
1. A buzzing noise from the back that is not noticeable at 100% brightness, but from 80% down it is.

2. Pinkish tones on the right half of the monitor. It's quite noticeable when I have gmail open and the extend the window across the whole screen.

I have a rev 122 and Firmware GIG 045. Are both of these normal? I am wondering if I should go through HP for a replacement or Amazon. I know people have had similar issues, but it's unclear to me if there are some that don't have both of these issues.

Thanks.

1. A buzzing noise from the back that is not noticeable at 100% brightness, but from 80% down it is.

2. Pinkish tones on the right half of the monitor. It's quite noticeable when I have gmail open and the extend the window across the whole screen.

I have a rev 122 and Firmware GIG 045. Are both of these normal? I am wondering if I should go through HP for a replacement or Amazon. I know people have had similar issues, but it's unclear to me if there are some that don't have both of these issues.

Thanks.

Some people have complained about both issues, others have not.

The buzzing does occur with many IPS panels but you should have brightness below 80 anyway. As far as the pink tones, that has been occurring with many monitors. For some people, it goes away with time. Others have replaced their monitors through HP and have received defect-free models. I guess it's about luck at this point.

My first monitor had the green-->pink color tint so I replaced it and this one does not have that issue. If you decide to replace, you can go through HP and they will have a field tech bring the new panel directly to your house.

Thanks.

I'm on my 3rd replacement from HP.

1. Two of the four I've used had very prominent buzzing (or high frequency hissing), especially at lower brightness settings and became somewhat quieter after the monitor warmed up for a while (30 minutes). The other two still made the dreadful noise but not nearly as bad and can be drowned out by other ambient noise.

2. Three of the four (including the one I have now) have the green to pink tinting. It can be alleviated somewhat by messing with the custom RGB values, but it's very hard to do while still keeping the colors accurate. It's not noticeable while watching videos or playing games. But it is noticeable when reading text on brighter backgrounds. I'm just trying to live with it for fear of getting another replacement that's worse than the one I have now.

He noticed the buzzing while brightness is below 80.

I misread. I sit about 2 feet away from my monitor and notice no buzzing. Only when I put my ear on top of the panel do I notice a very faint hum. My computer isn't exactly a vacuum so the fans are louder than the buzz.

Thanks for you responses. I might risk a replacement, but it sounds doubtful it will be much better than what I have. It's just for the price I want it to be near perfect. Crazy I know...

Yes, the buzzing is most noticeable at very low brightness. The thing is normally I don't notice it during the day, but at night when it's quiet and I've got the brightness down, that's when I noticed it.

I wonder if HP does a replacement (or three) whether Amazon will take a return for a refund if I ultimately decided it's not what I want. That said I really like the overall visual of the IPS vs TN, so not sure what else I would do. Not to totally go off topic, but did any of you think about picking up a used Apple Cinema Display? I have a Macs at home and have found people selling them for about the same as the new HP. I preferred the larger size and 3 year warranty though.

If you request a replacement from HP, they will send a field technician to your home (or wherever the monitor is) and he/she will bring you a new panel (without the stand). You can connect it and check it out to see if you want to keep the replacement panel or your original monitor.

If you get the new panel and then decide to return it to Amazon, I don't know if you'll be able to because the serial number on the new panel will be different from the serial on the box.

Just bought a new, factory sealed LP2475W from eBay. Before I bought it I asked the seller if there were any dates or rev/fw numbers printed on the box. He came back with GIG122, which at least according to some accounts have had good batches.

Great price too. BIN was $515 (lowered from $525 since I started watching it yesterday), shipping was free, and I just happened to have had an 8% discount coupon that eBay so kindly dropped on me out of the blue, bringing my total purchase price down to $476! Now here's hoping that this one won't have a terribly noticeable hue shift, and that HP will still honor the warranty should I need it (the seller is a business and I've asked for a "non-eBay" invoice if possible).

Does anybody know what HP uk are like for returns.

Don't want any hassle getting a refund if it's not up to scratch.

Just bought a new, factory sealed LP2475W from eBay. Before I bought it I asked the seller if there were any dates or rev/fw numbers printed on the box. He came back with GIG122, which at least according to some accounts have had good batches.

Great price too. BIN was $515 (lowered from $525 since I started watching it yesterday), shipping was free, and I just happened to have had an 8% discount coupon that eBay so kindly dropped on me out of the blue, bringing my total purchase price down to $476! Now here's hoping that this one won't have a terribly noticeable hue shift, and that HP will still honor the warranty should I need it (the seller is a business and I've asked for a "non-eBay" invoice if possible).
You got an amazing price on it. Makes me very jealous. And I think the October 2008 batches manufactured from China have been reported to be the best so far. You've got the good firmware afaik. Good luck.

You got an amazing price on it. Makes me very jealous. And I think the October 2008 batches manufactured from China have been reported to be the best so far. You've got the good firmware afaik. Good luck.
Just got back to work from the house. I saw where FedEx left it on my porch, and since it was sprinkling rain I took a long lunch and ran home to get it. And set it up, of course. :)

It's a November 2008 build, rev GIG122. Forgot to double-check the country of origin, but I expect China based on the revision.

IT LOOKS GREAT!!! There is NO hue shift across the panel. However at first it did seem ever so slightly darker/dimmer on the far right side compared to the left side. It wasn't intolerable like a different color would be, but because I was looking hard for flaws, it bugged me a little. But then I shifted its position around on my desk (I had to do a lot of shifting to make room for it and the 2407), and then I couldn't notice it anymore -- must have been a weird angle or light thing.

The wide-gamut saturation doesn't bother me at all. It did point out how dingy and yellowish the image on the 2407wfp beside it looks, though, but it's long overdue for re-calibration anyway. I manually tuned the 2475W a bit and will try to borrow a friend's Spyder over the weekend to get them both properly calibrated.

I must say I got a helluva deal. Brand new, factory sealed as promised, no dead pixels that I found in my 15 minutes or so looking at it. I'm quite pleased. The seller is 'tbsincorporated' -- he sells a lot of monitors on eBay and has 106 feedback, 100% positive, so if you keep an eye out for his auctions you might find another at this price.

Bonus is that I brought my former secondary monitor, a 2001FP, into the office to replace my crappy Viewsonic 22" CRT. It's huge, hot, heavy, power-hungry, and I've never been able to tune a decent image with it since I've had it. We have an IS policy against buying LCD's larger than 19" and I didn't want to give up the 1600x1200 res. Now my 2001FP will step in and I can finally get rid of that behemoth.

Back