HP OfficeJet 5610 prints black box instead of picture when printing from MS Word?

oDii

Limp Gawd
Having a curious problem with a printer I picked up (an HP OfficeJet 5610) recently for the odd print jobs around here. Installed drivers from the CD (kinda wish I hadn't and used the corporates, but oh well...) and have found a really strange problem - when printing from a word document, all the pictures in it are replaced by black boxes. When printing from a .PDF or printing the picture directly (via the right click -> print function in Windows) there isn't a problem; only seems to happen when printing via Word 2003.

I've tried all the basics like installing the printer on another computer (same drivers), trying the "Low Memory Mode" and various quality options. Anyone have any suggestions or have any experience with OfficeJets doing the same thing? I'd be the first to admit my printer knowledge isn't up there, so any help would be appreciated.

Any ideas, guys? I'd prefer to avoid HP's support after previous experiences with their consumer level zombies.

i would remove the drivers and install the drivers from the hp website

The drivers are the same version - apparently the printer was very recently produced and included an up to date driver.

I've noticed something else funny: the HP drivers have their own "print preview" option (separate from the Word 2003 function) which simply doesn't display the image(s) at all - just the equivilent of blank paper where the image(s) should be. Printing after previewing in this manner still results in the solid black box where the image(s) should be on the actual printed sheet, however.

I'll have a try with HP's corporate drivers to ensure nothing funny is happening regarding conflicts next time I need to print, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them.

Back