HP P6140F, Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM, Wi-Fi N at Staples - $550

Not too bad. A quick look at the specs shows that the 1TB drive spins at 5400rpm. So it might be a good idea to drop in something faster for a boot drive. Also, it uses crappy Intel onboard graphics, but it has a x16 slot for dropping in a graphics card.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12454-12454-3329740-64546-64546-3942799-3975009.html

With the upgrades needed to make it useable, I'd say the overall price is closer to $680 or so (assuming you buy an entry-level graphics card like a Geforce 9400/9500 or something).

Not that great of a deal, but good for people that need something for a family member or just something that's already done.

Does it have a Windows 7 upgrade option?

this is not a hot deal at all, and its not even warm...and its overprice....... :s

Not that great of a deal, but good for people that need something for a family member or just something that's already done.

Does it have a Windows 7 upgrade option?

I believe any machine purchased in June till release gets a free 7 upgrade.

not a bad deal especially if you can OC the processor to 3ghz

I'm tempted to jump on this deal....any thoughts?

Yeah shows how cheap RAM is these days. Your grand ma's email box has more gigs than she has years to live.

not a bad deal especially if you can OC the processor to 3ghz

I'm tempted to jump on this deal....any thoughts?

Even though it is using an asus g33 chipset motherboard, the oc options are locked out by HP with a custom oem bios.

-----

I rather get this. Sure it has less memory you will never use 8gb of memory on the HP

http://www.frys.com/product/5933044?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Other stores also have it and the price is MSRP

Gateway vs HP
Pros
DDR3 Memory instead of DDR2. Having the faster memory will be more noticable than more memory for grandma.
Small Form Factor
640gb Western Digital Blu 7200rpm hard drive (instead of 5400 rpm on HP)
HDMI output as well as VGA output (still uses intel onboard crapfest)
9 usb instead of 6 (kinda amazing having 9 usb on a small form factor)

Cons
Doesn't have 8gb of ram though that doesn't matter much
Doesn't have the built in dual band a/b/g/n atheros pci e x1 wifi card.
----

The gateway also has a native unused pci express x16 slot (though it has to be lowprofile). So you can always buy a 4350 for about 33 bucks shipped on newegg. If you do MIR the ASUS is 23 After Rebate. Though modifying the hardware does void the 1 year manufactures warranty.

wow that is a better deal. What's the best low profile GPU someone could put in that gateway?

wow that is a better deal. What's the best low profile GPU someone could put in that gateway?
The fastest cards I seen low profile have been 9600gt and 9800gt.

The downside of these cards are they are power hungry and will overwhelm the 220w power supply
Are made by brands such as zotac (semi good) for the 9600gt or sparkle (scary) for the 9800gt instead of better known manufactures (and remember these companies are not using standard reference design)

For a small form system, it is best to get ATI for they are much more power efficient than nvidia.
A 4350 will be fast enough for blu ray and photoshop, a 4550 if you need PiP If you want to play games you should probably be looking for a regular size system. The fastest card I would trust in a small form factor system will be a 4650/4670 such as this card from powercolor
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=36547&vpn=AX4650 512MD2-LH&manufacture=PowerColor

------------------

And if you aren't in any hurry the gateway I linked to above is currently MSRP it will go on sale or cheaper sometime in the future.

DDR3 Memory instead of DDR2. Having the faster memory will be more noticable than more memory for grandma.

Too bad DDR3 is basically useless on the socket 775 platform because of the placement of the memory controller.

Back