HP Showing Off The Slate

Don't get me wrong... windows 7 is a great product, and HP makes great tablet PC's running windows 7 already. Heatless can confirm it... but windows 7 on a $500 device running Atom? If you want productivity get the TM2, if you want a consumer internet device there are better options. I just don't know how HP is going to leverage the slate as? It's too inefficient to be the killer internet device and too weak to be truly productive. That's what I mean by square peg round hole. I think that may be the biggest problem, hardware/UI aside... how do you fit the slate in the current market. People questioned the need for the iPad and still do but you can make a business case for masses of people purchasing it. What I can see is HP marketing professions in medical, military, and corporations as a business tool. Where you can write applications that don't require heavy power but seamless integration in a windows infrastructure. But still it would be inefficient compared to something like courier designed ground up for atom/tegra type processors that can seamlessly integrate in a windows network.

Yeah it's the Atom I'm not too thrilled about, but it can be forgiven if it was running on ION or ION2 and with 2gb of RAM.

When HP launches that, I'll give it another look. I'm guessing this model probably uses GMA 4500MHD

Yeah but HP is in bed with Intel so I don't see them using non intel based IGP's anytime soon. Hopefully Intel can work on improving the quality of it's GPU's. Nvidia's tegra and Ion platforms do look promising

I really like the slate, but I hope HP releases some sort of easy API for devs to create slate specific devices. Yes, I know it runs Win 7 and can do everything, but I'd actually rather have it run a limited amount of things very very well. One of the reasons I actually like the iPad. When using a slate I dont want digsby running in the background, I want a very specific and tuned Digsby application made for the device running that looks and runs great.

Heres to hoping theres some sort of API or some such for that.

same

I'd be much more interested in one if it had a large library of touch specific applications to go along with it.

Multitasking? Flash? USB ports and SD slots? A Camera? $500 handheld tablet…right?

Taken in order: iPhone OS 4.0; Dongle accessory; second release of iPad.

I understand and agree with the complaint that the iPad lacks a camera, but it is not news to anyone who knows anything about Apple: they will release new features in new revisions of their devices. That is part of their business model. They hold things back so they have something to sell later.

A couple of comments on the HP Slate:

That keyboard looks a terrible experience to type on. I'm not going to pre-judge it and say that I'd already rather shit through my mouth and have my eyes pulled out with a spork than type on it... but I'd rather shit through my mouth and have my eyes pulled out with a spork than type on it. Oops.

I'm confused as to putting a full operating system on a tablet device. The form factor and usefulness of this style of device seems to lend itself more to a walled garden experience; something closer to Zune HD or Win Phone 7, which can integrate into a marketplace that provides revenue for developers and thus spurs content creation.

I think you guys are trying to make all tablet machines in the image of the iPad. I'll say it again, decent performance, full Windows 7, Wacom dual mode digitizer with pen and touch, OneNote, hit product. These things serve a powerful purpose and are unique.

No not the fastest or flashiest, it doesn't need to be because that's not what this device is for.

HP has been making Tablet PCs for some time and in looking at the progression of their models over the years they look like they get it. The leap from the tx2 to the tm2 was huge.

Releasing a device that runs like crap I'm pretty sure they are keenly aware of as the landcape is littered with the like of the Archos 9.

But if they could have fit a C2D CULV into this this we would not be having this conversation about performance but I guess that's too much heat and power. They could probably do it but the device would probably cost a lot more and be much heavier.

But when Intel hits their next die shrink in Sandy Bridge, watch out.

that's not what this device is for.

That's the debate that's really being had, and is about to explode: what exactly are these for? Is there room for vastly different types of devices in a new market?

I think the question answers itself, personally: of course there is. Microsoft's Courier, if it ever escapes Vaporware status, would be a powerful daily planner and professional tool. There's no reason, however, that an HP Slate with a full OS couldn't do everything the Courier can do, but do it in software. The iPad is a tablet device but it's poised more as an extension of the ipod/iphone/mobileme concept of "my content" being delivered through a familiar interface, than what Courier and Slate are offering right now.

But if they could have fit a C2D CULV into this this we would not be having this conversation about performance but I guess that's too much heat and power. They could probably do it but the device would probably cost a lot more and be much heavier.

But when Intel hits their next die shrink in Sandy Bridge, watch out.

Yeah, they're getting there now. It will be interesting to see how Intel and NV compete in this market, seeing that NV actually has a couple of competitive products now. There could be great competition between at least three different hardware makers which can only be good for us.

I think Battery life of iPod 10 hours is the killer feature. I like slate features but 5 hours? Are you kidding?

The 600 resolution kind of hurts since most websites now are made for at least 800 x 600 since thats kind of the standard minimum resolution now. I really can't believe how long it is taking companies to make a tablet netbook, it should be super easy. I'm really going to have to see this in person because viewing angle makes all the difference in the world, it has to look good in two different modes (portrait and landscape). They should really give a setting that sets your browser to say that you are a mobile device, but with my droids resolution I find a lot of sites are made "too mobile". I really hope that HP goes back to making slate/tablets that look like a normal laptop but the screen (slate) part can unattach.

I didn't know the 3G iPad was that much heavier, .1 pounds might not seem like a lot but for something you are supposed to hold with one hand for a long time I'm sure it can make a difference. Almost makes me wonder if they delayed those so everyone will feel the lighter one first. When I first ordered my wife a Dell XT we got the Day Light Viewable screen instead of the LED based one and Dell business outlet was awesome and let me swap it with a different Dell outlet model for no charge. I couldn't believe how much better the small decrease in weight and thickness made the device feel. It was really like two different devices. When you grip the side of a device you can really notice the difference in the thickness of a device.

I'm confused as to putting a full operating system on a tablet device. The form factor and usefulness of this style of device seems to lend itself more to a walled garden experience; something closer to Zune HD or Win Phone 7, which can integrate into a marketplace that provides revenue for developers and thus spurs content creation.

The simple reason is that no one gets all the free hype,publicity that Apple does. No one else has such a large group of people locked into their device with DRM either. Google is the only company that seems to have a chance of changing that. Well I take that back, there is one other company and I am amazed that they don't get more attention in this arena and that is Adobe. Adobe air applications already exist for a lot of the coolest features that people will want a slate for such as Flickr, Pandora, Hulu, Meebo, Youtube. I believe that Air also has the ability to charge for an application.

If Microsoft was really serious about being competitive they would have to put on a Xbox level campaign and take a loss on devices, media sales, and the entire campaign for awhile. This doesn't seem likely since they don't like putting all of their eggs into a few baskets, they have a lot more problems with the DOJ/EU than competitors, and while the Xbox is becoming a huge success the core of MS is still business sales and licensing.

I think Battery life of iPod 10 hours is the killer feature. I like slate features but 5 hours? Are you kidding?

The iPad could have 100 hours of battery life but if it dosen't do what you need so what.

5 hours for this device isn't great but 5 hours of note taking in OneNote for a device this size would be unlike anything else.

I just consider these products trying to make a market of hype, where none of usefulness exists.

Maybe its just me, but I'm still comfortable with a laptop. I'd prefer power over portability, and maybe thats where I'm falling short on this concept.

I own a Zune HD, let's not get started on how dumb some of the crap MS does is. The most recent update basically busted the Zune services or something (More stupid DRM bullshit).

Do they do some incredible things? Yes, Windows 7 is awesome. Do they do stupid things to cover up their good things, yes, read DRM Zune Pass service that fails every few months because of license revocation.

Will this product help HP? Probably not, cause soon to follow will be others like it, made cheaper, and HP's product will fail to exist in due time. Going from $500 to $399 for example will put the heat on HP.

Apple doesn't have competition, the people that buy Apple products are mind numbed robots. That believe putting a pretty UI on Unix makes it not Unix, but AppleOS. They're also scared of the command line, they generally date within their own gender, and they're overly fat and smell like patchouli oil. There did I get all the Apple hate into one delicious paragraph? Oh wait, and its overpriced crap on top of that, phew, almost forgot one.

Kudo's to HP, I hope the product does well, but sadly its gonna see competition from Acer and other low dollar knockoffs soon enough.

Apple doesn't have competition, the people that buy Apple products are mind numbed robots. That believe putting a pretty UI on Unix makes it not Unix, but AppleOS. They're also scared of the command line, they generally date within their own gender, and they're overly fat and smell like patchouli oil. There did I get all the Apple hate into one delicious paragraph? Oh wait, and its overpriced crap on top of that, phew, almost forgot one.

Yep... you got most of it out? Do you feel any better now?

For those of you saying that the Atom is going to be an issue with handwriting recognition, I doubt it.

My tc1100 running Windows 7 has a 1GHz Pentium-M and 1.5GB RAM. Neither of those are the limiting factor in performance. The HDD is very slow (looks to be solved in this, by having an SSD), and the GeForce4Go graphics mean that there's no Aero support whatsoever, so it's stuck in basic mode.

But regardless, it's still a very capable device. While I don't use the audio/video capture features of OneNote, handwriting recognition in it and the Tablet Input Panel work great.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer 2GB of RAM, and CULV or at the very least Ion2, but this device looks to be very capable.

Engadget also seems to think that maybe it'll have the Broadcom Crystal HD accelerator card, and I hope that'll be the case. It's my understanding that along with the 10.1 betas, that helps quite a bit for Hulu / Youtube HD video.

As mentioned though, 1024x600 resolution is a pretty big issue. Widescreen displays sort of suck already in portrait mode for tablets, because there's more narrow of a surface to write in, and only 600 pixels in that direction will only exaggerate the issue. I was hoping for at least 1024x768 like the iPad and like the tc1100.

For those of you saying that the Atom is going to be an issue with handwriting recognition, I doubt it.

Cool! I really hope you're right because a digital pen is THE killer feature of this device.

To me the 1024x600 is an issue but not that big of a deal since its used in books. Your not going to use this device in portrait mode much however. Even the iPad at 1024x768 has a number of issues in portrait mode with web browsing, it works best in landscape.

If the performance of this device is solid and has a Wacom dual mode digitizer it really will sell itself I think. Those are the keys.

+1 for the Slate

iPad -1

The Slate has all the things I care about...

Both are over priced... :eek:

not bad for a v1, but I think i'll hold off for the v2 with at least 4gb of RAM and at least 8 hour runtime...

still tho, if I had to buy a tablet today, it would be this (since there is no decent android tablet out unfortunately :()

+1 for the Slate

iPad -1

The Slate has all the things I care about...

Both are over priced... :eek:

You are very right here sir, both are over priced, they shouldn't be priced higher then a netbook...

Hardware in both fall short of what a netbook is and none give us greater advantages over said netbook other then touch capabilities.

Also for those using the Atom in the JooJoo as a base for the performance on flash and HD video, make sure to note that the JooJoo is a mess and probably won't even hit the market...

so who really needs an app store when all existing windows apps can already run on it?

the only way the slate will beat the ipad is if it's priced at 350-400

$300.00 is android territory (And how much the ipad is actually worth). Legacy netbooks are around $350-400 but the touchscreen is the most expensive component which brought the price back up to $500.00

7" generic android/WindowsCE models go for $100.00
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/22/ensos-zenpad-is-the-cheap-android-tablet-youve-always-wanted/

A bit more refined 7" android for $179
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4f2CrAezM

5" models go for around $200.00+ but they're loaded. 3G, Wifi, GPS, Compass, etc.
http://www.enso-now.com/specifications

Honestly tho, i'm gonna wait for acer to bring something to the table.

You are very right here sir, both are over priced, they
shouldn't be priced higher then a netbook...

What exactly does that mean? they "shouldn't be priced higher than a netbook"? I didn't realize you were involved in setting pricing for HP and Apple.

$300.00 is android territory (And how much the ipad is actually worth).

Products are worth what people pay for them. If you meant that the components tally up to that number, that's another story altogether.

What exactly does that mean? they "shouldn't be priced higher than a netbook"? I didn't realize you were involved in setting pricing for HP and Apple.

I think hes talking about for himself to so simmer down guy. This is a thread for discussion and there are probably people interested in these devices that would like to hear about competing products. Do you jump down and attack anyone who says that XY chip from AMD/ATI/Nvidia/Intel is overpriced? When older cards or chips start becoming hard to find so they go up in price are they still a good value for everyone? Because some guy is willing to pay 1000 dollars for an optical cable does it suddenly become a decent value? Prices are set for consumers and a little thing called a "dollar vote" does give him some say on pricing.

I think hes talking about for himself to so simmer down guy.

That would look like "I wouldn't pay more than ____" or "I don't think they're worth more than ____" or some sort of sentence constructed to refer to himself, and not a blanket statement about the value of the device or how it "should" be priced.

What was said was completely ignorant, and ignorance deserves more scorn than politeness allows for.

If you wish to put on your Carnac turban and attempt to divine what the poster really meant, instead of what he actually wrote, then the resulting bewilderment you face at reading posts like mine is your own fault.

But the ipad is "the best browsing experience you've ever had"
Except for that blue icon thingy in that blank white box. Or the lack of a USB port that you could have plugged your cellular data card into but now have to buy a separate account. Or that there's no SD card slot to use the media you already own. Or that it could multitask but it's purposely disabled.
But the 10 hours of battery time is perfect because it will give you 7 hours to stare at the screen and think of something you can do with it.
And, you'll like it.

For all of you hoping the Slate would be the next iPad killer.... well it may kill itself before it even gets started. I hate being right in saying that current hardware limitations and pricepoints make it virtually impossible to make a competing windows 7 product against the iPad. Hope is in the droid for an alternative open platform for slate/tablet devices. Meanwhile let me enjoy my iPad :)

Techcrunch is reporting HP may be killing it off.
http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/29/hewlett-packard-to-kill-windows-7-tablet-project/

That and maybe HP recent acquisition of Palm and WebOS might have something to do with it. Regardless... Windows 7 on a Slate... no more.

For all of you hoping the Slate would be the next iPad killer.... well it may kill itself before it even gets started. I hate being right in saying that current hardware limitations and pricepoints make it virtually impossible to make a competing windows 7 product against the iPad. Hope is in the droid for an alternative open platform for slate/tablet devices. Meanwhile let me enjoy my iPad :)

Techcrunch is reporting HP may be killing it off.
http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/29/hewlett-packard-to-kill-windows-7-tablet-project/

Meh, it was quite underpowered for many people to be that interested in it anyways. When they announced it, I was really excited about it until I read it only had an Atom and 1gb of RAM. Yeah Windows 7 can handle it fine, but I still would much prefer a CULV and at least 2GB of RAM for elbow room. I don't care about battery life. If it can handle 4 or 5+ hours, it's still good enough for me. My 12" HP EliteBook 2530p can do over 5+ hours easily and it has a Core2Duo L9600 2.13Ghz with 4GB of RAM. I'm sure heatlesssun would say the same of his TM2T.

I would rather get a TM2T than the Slate as you can do much more with it.

My 12" HP EliteBook 2530p can do over 5+ hours easily and it has a Core2Duo L9600 2.13Ghz with 4GB of RAM. I'm sure heatlesssun would say the same of his TM2T.

You were reading my mind! Windows 7 slates on the right hardware will work but that platform really is the C2D CULV. That really is the lowest powered and best performing x86 platform right now. It just kicks the crap out of the Atom and its not that much more power hungry. But it is a lot more exspensive. Intel needs to ditch the Atom and get the Core cheaper, less power needy and smaller.

I guess the HP Slate became the first causality of the HP Palm deal.

I do think there is a market for slates beyond low power ones as a lot of people simply want a seemless environment and pens!

Hitler is REALLY going to be pissed!:p

And Heatless would say that we're discussing two separate products. Tablets vs. Slates. Tablets, faster, heavier, less battery life. Slates, slower, cheaper, lighter. It's all about business models and Tablet PC's have been around for awhile but haven't sold because it's a niche product. Slates on the other hand compete with "netbooks" but instead of giving you full productivity, designed to browse the web, email, chat, skype, simple gaming i.ei 99% of what 99% of people do on computers when they're not working hence the big market for netbooks and hopefully the same for slate/tablet computing.

The iPad is competing with your Elitebook or the TM2T but hopefully it'll spur Microsoft to put more work into developing a better platform for touch devices in their future iterations of windows 7 learning from Windows 7 mobile.

Tablet PC's have been around for awhile but haven't sold because it's a niche product.

This might be overstating a bit. TPCs haven't been mainstream sure but totally niche and not sold? HP, Fujitsu, Lenovo, and Toshiba have been making them for a LONG time with new models every year for almost a decade. Someone is buying them.

I do think that they have often not been the best devices, to hot, slow, etc. However the C2D CULV has changed that. That platform is PERFECT for Windows TPCs. The best combination of battery life, performance and heat dissipation ever in a TPC.

The biggest issue has been Microsoft's commitment to the platform. Yes they are committed on one level as I've seen the work in what they've done coming from XP to Vista to 7. Pretty major steps in TPC technology in each new release. Indeed Microsoft made some MAJOR leaps in 7 just for the sake of touch screens and digital ink.

The handwriting recognition in 7 is utterly mind blowing. They even added anew math recognizer that while not on the same level as the textual one isn't half bad, it's actually practical. The new Task Bar design was CLEARLY influenced by the need to improve its finger friendliness.

But then of course they kill Courier and now the Slate is dead. So the commitment is definitely thereto at least some extend on the technical and R&D side but almost non-existent on the business side.

Meh, it was quite underpowered for many people to be that interested in it anyways. When they announced it, I was really excited about it until I read it only had an Atom and 1gb of RAM. Yeah Windows 7 can handle it fine, but I still would much prefer a CULV and at least 2GB of RAM for elbow room. I don't care about battery life. If it can handle 4 or 5+ hours, it's still good enough for me. My 12" HP EliteBook 2530p can do over 5+ hours easily and it has a Core2Duo L9600 2.13Ghz with 4GB of RAM. I'm sure heatlesssun would say the same of his TM2T.

Right now i'm actually saving up for an S10-3T ;)

Its good that HP killed it, they would have opened a red hole in their balance sheet.

Other than the 2 people in this forum that want a tablet device the rest of the market wants something that runs fast and easy. A WebOS tablet with an app store and Cortex A9 processor will will be far, far, far more competitive this this turd would have been.

I really hate people say "its underpowered" with no basis for that argument. It is getting to the point of asinine. Underpowered means it can't reasonably accomplish the typical set of tasks presented to it. If it took 50 seconds to load a webpage versus 5...that is underpowered. If it take 7 or 8 versus the 5, that is not. Sorry...a 10" slate type device does not NEED 2GB of RAM. It does not NEED a CULV processor. That isn't what its intent is. If you NEED that kind of power that is portable, you get a laptop. *facepalm

Its good that HP killed it, they would have opened a red hole in their balance sheet.

They've got like $25 billion is cash reserves, minus whatever they're spending on the Palm acquisition. Designing this Slate was barely a drop in the bucket, damned shame they're going to walk away from it - at least potentially with Windows on it. WebOS looks to be a prime candidate and probably the main reason they're snatching Palm in the first place.

Back