HP Touchpad 16GB $99, 32GB $149, Active for .edu

From HP SMB 6-8 week delay:

HP Small and Medium Business Customer,

Thank you for your interest in webOS and the HP TouchPad – the response to our price reduction has been overwhelming – both in terms of volume and in the energy and enthusiasm it has generated in our customers.

It has taken us longer than anticipated to work through the high volume of orders that were received. We apologize for any uncertainty this caused, but we are now in a position to understand our ability to fulfill your order.

Your order will be fulfilled at the discounted price. However, we do not have enough stock to satisfy your order at this time. It will take 6-8 weeks to build enough HP TouchPads to meet our current commitments, during which time your order will then ship from this stock with free ground shipping. You will receive a shipping notification with tracking number once your order has shipped. We apologize that these timelines are longer than indicated on the website at time of purchase.

At the significantly reduced price, the HP TouchPad does not qualify for our standard 30 day return policy and is not returnable.

If this delay is not acceptable, please send an email to [email protected] with your instructions for cancellation within a week. Be sure to include your HP order number and the name and ship-to address on the order. Also please indicate clearly if this is the only order requiring cancellation or if you wish all orders in your name to be canceled. You will receive an automated cancel notification when your order cancellation request has been processed. Please be aware, however, that cancellations cannot be reversed, and our US SMB store has sold out of HP TouchPad and will not make any further available for sale.

We are pleased that we will be able to fulfill your order and look forward to you joining the exciting community of webOS!

Sincerely,
Your HP Small and Medium Business Team
www.hp.com/go/touchpadFAQ

Ouch, 6-8 weeks is brutal. My email (back a few pages) from late last week was 2 weeks. Of course my order has been allocated the entire time, but today it updated to backordered. I've been pretty patient so far knowing that I am getting one, but it's getting old. I can understand the rush totally caught them off guard. I can also understand flaws in the billing system that allow for things to occur that shouldn't (the cart link for example). Flaws may not show up until exploited after all. What I don't understand is the utter lack of communication directly to the customer about their specific orders. It's been 18 days and the best answer they have is "should receive this stock within 2 weeks, at which time your order will then ship with free ground shipping" to me. That was almost a week ago and the first communication received since my order confirmation on 8/21 about my order the day before. I guess I'll just sit here impatiently now.

I received the same email Llama. 6-8 weeks. *Sigh*

Did you order the 16 or 32 gig model? I ordered the 32 and am wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Those that got the 6 - 8 week delay, what is your order date?

I have not gotten that email yet, mine is supposed to ship tomorrow, My order date is 8/21 7:40ish AM (Their time zone I assume? Mine is eastern, it was probably 2 - 3 am when I ordered)

LOL at all the guys whining about being on backorder with "a few touchpads" when a lot of us had all of our orders cancelled outright from various vendors and will end up with zero touchpads unless we want to get gouged on eBay.

LOL at all the guys whining about being on backorder with "a few touchpads" when a lot of us had all of our orders cancelled outright from various vendors and will end up with zero touchpads unless we want to get gouged on eBay.

i placed 5 orders and currently have ~$500 tied up on my credit card. i have received one. the people who have multiple possible orders were the ones who got in early, placed multiple orders, and got their money tied up. MANY people hesitated, or cancelled their orders because their money was tied up, or only placed one order because they thought they would get that one and didnt want more, etc. i took a risk, and so far its payed off. i may get as many as 4 touchpads if my office depot double-charge (yes $350 is tied up for one touchpad from them) on my bank account is to be believed, but most likely i will end up with 3. and the second 2 wont be for weeks or months. the other 2 will be gifts. next time take a chance, and be patient. it pays off. and yes people whining is lame, but its no big deal. if you were in their shoes youd be whining about the wait instead of whining about not having one.

also, the prices will for sure go down in a few weeks or months, so unless you are in some big hurry just grab one later.

Those that got the 6 - 8 week delay, what is your order date?

I have not gotten that email yet, mine is supposed to ship tomorrow, My order date is 8/21 7:40ish AM (Their time zone I assume? Mine is eastern, it was probably 2 - 3 am when I ordered)

I ordered one 32GB model from HP SMB sometime between 22:30 and 23:00 CST on the 21st.

It's interesting that your order date is still the actual date and time you ordered. Are you sure that is the case? What I mean is, where are you quoting those numbers from? If you log in to the HP SMB site to check the status of your order, does it still say you ordered on the 21st? If so, I would think that is a good sign because many (most?) of us had our order dates changed a couple days after we ordered. For instance, mine now says I ordered on the 23rd.

i placed 5 orders and currently have ~$500 tied up on my credit card. i have received one. the people who have multiple possible orders were the ones who got in early, placed multiple orders, and got their money tied up. MANY people hesitated, or cancelled their orders because their money was tied up, or only placed one order because they thought they would get that one and didnt want more, etc. i took a risk, and so far its payed off. i may get as many as 4 touchpads if my office depot double-charge (yes $350 is tied up for one touchpad from them) on my bank account is to be believed, but most likely i will end up with 3. and the second 2 wont be for weeks or months. the other 2 will be gifts. next time take a chance, and be patient. it pays off. and yes people whining is lame, but its no big deal. if you were in their shoes youd be whining about the wait instead of whining about not having one.

also, the prices will for sure go down in a few weeks or months, so unless you are in some big hurry just grab one later.

What risk did you take? That they would cancel your order?

You didn't take a risk at the time and you certainly aren't taking any now. If people really thought supply would outpace demand again, they'd be canceling orders, and the're not. Given the 150% resale price markup at this point, it would take a radical change in HP's output to make it a bad investment.

TL:DR don't bitch if you clearly got the best deal available. Many people spent hours trying to spend hundreds (or in some cases, thousands) of dollars and still haven't seen anything.

Wow, that's seems like something BB would do, not TD. Shame on them.
It's still a good deal and you can sell the accessories on craigslist to bring the cost back down. I bought one and got confirmation but I'll wait until it ships before being excited.

Me too.. I got the 32GB bundle..... until it ships I am going to hold all excitement/planning...

TD just sent out a mass email stating that they might be cancelling people's orders because they don't have enough product for fulfillment.

I decided to keep my defective touch pad and send it in to get the center button fixed.

The one that I ordered today from TD was cancelled.. but then I just got a tracking number from them... weird.

Ordered from HP SMB the weekend of the fire sale and just got my tracking number Friday. Scheduled to be delivered Tuesday. :)

Seems that is the stock that HP has right now. Thanks. I was hoping you'd say 32gb.

Ok so...I have a book open in the Kindle app, how the hell do I close that specific book and open another one?! :mad: There doesn't appear to be a core menu for the kindle app itself, just the book you're in, and restarting the app just takes you right back into the book...

Ok so...I have a book open in the Kindle app, how the hell do I close that specific book and open another one?! :mad: There doesn't appear to be a core menu for the kindle app itself, just the book you're in, and restarting the app just takes you right back into the book...

Going off kindle for ipad, tap the center of the screen and a menu will pop up at the top. Then tap Library. I don't have a TP to tell you if it's the same way.

Going off kindle for ipad, tap the center of the screen and a menu will pop up at the top. Then tap Library. I don't have a TP to tell you if it's the same way.

Thanks! It was doing that earlier, however for some reason the title of the book was overlapping the small library icon; trying it now it properly centered it, allowing me to select it (and properly see what it was).

Couldn't figure this out on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 either until I just hit the back button. That takes you to your library no matter were you are in the book. Seeing as how the TP doesn't have a dedicated back button, just try tapping the screen like suggested above. That brings up options usually.

Couldn't figure this out on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 either until I just hit the back button. That takes you to your library no matter were you are in the book. Seeing as how the TP doesn't have a dedicated back button, just try tapping the screen like suggested above. That brings up options usually.

i wish the TP had a back button. i am constantly having to click around to try and find how to get back to where i just was. stupid "sleek" designs sacrificing usefulness for the pretty.

i wish the TP had a back button. i am constantly having to click around to try and find how to get back to where i just was. stupid "sleek" designs sacrificing usefulness for the pretty.

How about the back button being on the top in the browser and on the bottom in the App catalog? Wish there was Opera for the Touchpad, it at least has the back button at the bottom...as well as being awesome in most other ways too.

I guess I'm in the opposite camp. I love that you can use WebOS without even touching the hardware button with "Advanced Gestures" activated in the options. I only use the "home" button to wake my device from sleep.

How about the back button being on the top in the browser and on the bottom in the App catalog? Wish there was Opera for the Touchpad, it at least has the back button at the bottom...as well as being awesome in most other ways too.

May want to give the patch in Preware called Thumbnav a try. IMO, it is great.

Back