HP wireless bridges only work with autonomous AP? not lightweight?

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this. We have some mobile devices that we need to communicate with and they are all connected to some HP wireless bridges. Changing out the bridges is not an option since this is a vendor supplied solution.
Normally they try and sell an HP access point with the solution but we told the vendor we already have our own Cisco AP's.
The Cisco AP we are using is a 1242N controlled through a 5508 WLC. The AP has only 1 SSID on it (for this vendors solution) and it is configured as follows.
The AP's local IP address is on a separate vlan than the SSID it uses to connect to the clients. The AP is setup in local mode on the WLC. And the switch port the AP is connected to is configured like this:
FastEthernet 0/46
description Outdoor AP
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast

The problem we are having is that when we are using our Cisco AP we are having a huge problem communicating with the clients behind the bridges. We have gotten 1 to work, but there are 3 more that we just can't talk to. (ping fails 100% of the time)
The vendor sent us their HP access point to test and we hooked it up and as soon as we got it configured we could talk to every mobile device all at the same time and were having zero problems. The HP access point's wireless configuration is setup the exact same, IE same encryption type, same pre-shared key, etc.
The only difference is that the HP access point is operating in autonomous mode with a port configuration as follows:
FastEthernet 0/48
description HP AP
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 11
spanning-tree portfast

I'm not a huge wireless guy and I have narrowed down the problem to be something to do with either the fact the AP's are lightweight versus autonomous, or the fact 1 is on a trunk port while the other is in access mode.

Back