HP ZR24w

Both of them seem to have lower left uniformity issues
I wonder why like 80% of all the screens (if not more) have uniformity issues on that spot, lower left corner.
I have had 2 ZR24w's so far and both have had uniformity issues there, either tint or lower brightness.

now showing as £344+VAT :eek: looks like you ordered just in time

£344 + vat was the web price yesterday but I rang to check there was only one model number as Lambda Tek were showing 2 different manufacturer numbers.

The guy just quoted me £313.73 (Incl. VAT) without me asking so I just jumped on it

And its just arrived now...... 3 pm next day (free delivery)

And I'm pleased I'll now have manufacturer support direct for three years by buying direct!

The guy just quoted me £313.73 (Incl. VAT) without me asking so I just jumped on it!
Thanks for the info, I'm waiting for more solid info on a couple of alternatives but it's interesting to see - I guess HP don't want to publicly undercut other retailers.

I noticed mine has a very faint vertical bar that is ever so slightly darker near the 2/3 of the screen from the left. But it's only noticeable if it is on a white screen and if I looked at it very carefully at different angles. I also noticed a couple of forum members - Blackbird in particular - that has this same faint bar at the same place as I do.

Guess I should keep mine since everything else is perfect and I don't seem to get bottom left uniformity issue nor dead/stuck pixels.

dL

Last edited:
I wonder why like 80% of all the screens (if not more) have uniformity issues on that spot, lower left corner.
I have had 2 ZR24w's so far and both have had uniformity issues there, either tint or lower brightness.

Blackbird

Good remark/question but you kinda answered it yourself already.

I'm in no way enough informed to give a technical answer but if you can trust tftcentral.co.uk it seems that every single panel they review (cheaper or more expensive) seems to be troubled by this "issue". Lower luminance in the lower half of the screen, especially near the edges, the left corner always being the bad spot of the panel.

So it seems to be an overall design flaw. Maybe someone who knows more about this stuff can answer why that is, exactly.

Also, tftcentral almost never mentions it as a flaw in the conclusion (unless it's in the middle of the panel) & they always say something in the line of: "good uniformity overall, nothing to worry about."

Doing some basic research it seems that NEC panels, especially the more expensive models don't seem to suffer from this issue as much as LG panels do (which are used in HP & Dell models).

For example, the hp dreamcolor lp2480zx, a monitor with a recommended price of $2,499.00 even seems to suffer from this issue. I found a thread of a guy who replaced his model 3 times because of uneven uniformity without getting any improvement.

Last edited:
NEC monitors do suffer from the same uniformity issues, but the more expensive models have a feature called ColorComp that's designed to digitally correct uniformity issues. EIZO also does uniformity correction at the factory. The HP DreamColor doesn't have any uniformity correction.

NEC monitors do suffer from the same uniformity issues, but the more expensive models have a feature called ColorComp that's designed to digitally correct uniformity issues. EIZO also does uniformity correction at the factory. The HP DreamColor doesn't have any uniformity correction.

Thx for the clarification, makes me wonder why someone would even consider to buy a HP DreamColor..

I wanted to follow up regarding my replacement monitor. It still was too bright and actually had backlight bleed in the top center so I ended up returning it for a refund. The display itself was beautiful and I hate that I had to give it back, but the brightness was just too high for my eyes.

How is the blackness of the zr24w? I heard it's mediocre but that doesn't say me anything.

When you watch a movie, is it disturbing?

I wanted to follow up regarding my replacement monitor. It still was too bright and actually had backlight bleed in the top center so I ended up returning it for a refund. The display itself was beautiful and I hate that I had to give it back, but the brightness was just too high for my eyes.
Too bright? Turn down the brightness then? I'm sure if you turn up the brightness to 0 while being in '6500K - sRGB' color preset you will get UNDER 120 cd/m2 in luminance.
Actually if you are in 6500K-sRGB mode you should achieve 120 cd/m2 with a brightness setting of around 6.

How is the blackness of the zr24w? I heard it's mediocre but that doesn't say me anything.

For me the blacks looks good, they really look black (my black luminance is 0,32 cd/m2, using 100 contrast doesn't help it at all)
But the white glow is annoying in dark scenes..

A picture of it? that sounds really nasty.
Not what I would expect from a 4000SEK monitor...

The black depth at default settings is mediocre (=pure black looks like *very* dark gray) while the color accuracy actually is very good out of the box (which is not common).
You need to calibrate to vastly improve the black depth. I can achieve a black depth of 0.17 cd/m2 which is considered to be good/great.

I don't have this problem with my 2 displays..

It is nasty :p
imo it is the mother of all problems with these monitors, tinting, backlightbleed, tearing, high inputlag, etc etc is nothing compared to white glow. I can even see the glow while i'm writing this message (black on the sides of the message field).

...mostly if you are quite close to the monitor that is.
I'm not close to the monitor..

It is nasty :p
imo it is the mother of all problems with these monitors, tinting, backlightbleed, tearing, high inputlag, etc etc is nothing compared to white glow. I can even see the glow while i'm writing this message (black on the sides of the message field).

I'm not close to the monitor..

Then I am misunderstanding the glow with something else? The glow that happens to blacks where they turn purple from angle?

Then I am misunderstanding the glow with something else? The glow that happens to blacks where they turn purple from angle?
Well the glow is much bigger when you look from an angle. The "glow" isn't purple, it's white.

Well the glow is much bigger when you look from an angle. The "glow" isn't purple, it's white.

i dont know if you have a bad panel or what, but im sitting about 2 1/2 feet away from my monitor and see no white glow at all. if i sit about a foot away, i start to see it around hte edges. from there inwards, it gets much much worse.

i dont know if you have a bad panel or what, but im sitting about 2 1/2 feet away from my monitor and see no white glow at all. if i sit about a foot away, i start to see it around hte edges. from there inwards, it gets much much worse.

Same here, i start to see a slight glow from a foot away, increasing if i move closer.
But that's way too close to be sitting to a 24" screen anyway so i don't see the problem...

That depends in IPS panel. Mostly commonly its white, but IIRC some IPS types have slightly bluish/purple glow than white.

I posted several pages back, but got no response. Does anyone know the warranty on the Smart Buy branded HP version of the ZR24w? I tried searching the HP website but couldn't locate anything other information on some proliant servers.

My zr24w arrived 36 hours after my initial order from Overstock. My initial impressions are good, but calibration has been tricky. I decided to buy the zr24w after reading tftcentral's updated review. It seemed as if, while initially the black levels might be the one detriment to the panel, they were able to achieve quite a good black level and contrast ratio after setting contrast to 100 and recalibrating.

This is the first time I've calibrated any of my monitors (I have a Dell 2007wfp). I'm using the ColorVision Spyder2Pro. I initially tried calibrating the zr24w at its default contrast of 80, aiming for 120 cd/m^2, 6500K, gamma of 2.2

zr24wcalibrationat80c.png

black point= 0.46 cd/m^2
contrast = 80
brightness = 2
RGB sliders:
R238
G176
B200

Colors looked good, but I wanted to get a lower black level if possible, so I set contrast to 100 and recalibrated. Initially, everything seemed totally off, with a pinkish-brown cast on the grays, even when Dab (whatever that means) approached zero. However, after lowering the RGB values further, colors once again looked good and I was able to once again achieve 0.12 Dab.

zr24wcalibrationat100c.png

black point= 0.43 cd/m^2
contrast = 100
brightness = 0
RGB sliders:
R141
G93
B115

Needless to say, 0.43 cd/m^2 and therefore a contrast level of only 279:1 is pretty disappointing when compared with tftcentral's 0.18 and 667:1. Even their tests at 80 contrast were significantly better. Is there anything more I can do about this? As I said, I'm new to all this calibration business and still fairly ignorant.

I also sit about 2 1/2 feet away.
I have had 2 ZR24w's and both have had exactly the same glow.

Anyone notice the screen very slow to return to its display when a UAC triggers in Windows? Why is it so much slower than all other monitors?

dL

I just tried putting a blank screensaver and turned off the lights and finally noticed the lower left glow. It's not that significant and only noticeable in a completely dark room in a completely dark image and if I look for it. Also the black level is pretty poor, however, only in that setting.

For my general needs, I think it's a very decent monitor, but I would like to improve it but I've never calibrated before. Do you guys think I should just leave it or get it calibrated? If so, which calibration hardware should I choose? Spyder 3 Pro? Or would Spyder 3 Express do? What exactly does calibration do? Does it literally modify my monitors colour or does it tell me what settings I should change on my monitor to give me the best colour? Or does it modify the colours via software/OS?

dL

For my general needs, I think it's a very decent monitor, but I would like to improve it but I've never calibrated before. Do you guys think I should just leave it or get it calibrated? If so, which calibration hardware should I choose? Spyder 3 Pro? Or would Spyder 3 Express do? What exactly does calibration do? Does it literally modify my monitors colour or does it tell me what settings I should change on my monitor to give me the best colour? Or does it modify the colours via software/OS?

dL
I don't think you need to calibrate this monitor, it's very well calibrated from factory. When i calibrated my 2 ZR24w's (one got exchanged) i basically didn't notice any difference at all after calibration, with the spyder 3 software you can switch the calibration on and off with a simple button, and when i switched the calibration on and off the difference was veeeery small, only noticeable if you look really really close.

If you buy a colorimeter just because of ZR24w you are just throwing away your cash, i regret i bought the Spyder 3 Elite.
Actually i think i will turn off the calibration and use the default 6500K - sRGB preset, the whites seem a bit nicer to me when uncalibrated.

Same here, i start to see a slight glow from a foot away, increasing if i move closer.
But that's way too close to be sitting to a 24" screen anyway so i don't see the problem...
No you don't see the problem because you haven't seen my monitor..

I agree with you Blackbird. I just tried some settings from you guys and I find the default 6500K looks the best. I'll just stick with what I've been using since I am happy with it already.

The only thing I am not happy is: Anyone notice the screen very slow to return to its display when a UAC triggers in Windows? Why is it so much slower than all other monitors?"

Care to answer that for me Blackbird?

dL

The only thing I am not happy is: Anyone notice the screen very slow to return to its display when a UAC triggers in Windows? Why is it so much slower than all other monitors?"

dL
I don't have UAC activated, i don't know why it is so much slower.
I recommend you to turn off UAC, it's completely unnecessery imo, it's only annoying.

Well in general the ZR24w switching display mode, or when it turns off and on again it takes a significantly longer time than my previous Dell 2007wfp. When my computer turns off, the display would have to run a signal scan for all 3 output types before turning itself to sleep. Did I have a defective unit or is this normal?

dL

Well in general the ZR24w switching display mode, or when it turns off and on again it takes a significantly longer time than my previous Dell 2007wfp. When my computer turns off, the display would have to run a signal scan for all 3 output types before turning itself to sleep. Did I have a defective unit or is this normal?

dL
I don't think that is normal, mine isn't like that.
But that doesn't seem like a huge problem.

Getting mine delivered today.. will post some feedback once I've had a chance to get it up and running.

me = excited...

I agree with you Blackbird. I just tried some settings from you guys and I find the default 6500K looks the best. I'll just stick with what I've been using since I am happy with it already.

dL

Its because your computer is too slow to handle the higher resolution of the new monitor.

Old monitor 20" 1680x1050
New 24" 1920x1200

LOL problem solved. Did a factory reset on the ZR24w and it's super fast again now.

Weird.

dL

Last edited:
I just got mine yesterday from hp.com. It has one dead pixel (dark), but its not in the middle and they won't take it back for just 1 so I guess I will keep it.

Seems like blacks can go down to 0,18cd/m2.
Currently waging between this one and NEC multisync ea231wmi, this one is a lot bigger and has higher resolution. The NEC have a bit better blacks standard and since i do not own a calibrator I can't get it to go that low on the zr24w.

Hard choice.

Back