HPT1820A or RAIDCore BC4852?

The Real Zardoz

Weaksauce
Howdy all,

As per topic, I'm trying to decide between RAID controllers and I want to know whether the AU$120 difference between the HPT and the RAIDcore is worth it.

The HPT supports NCQ but I don't believe the RAIDcore does.

I'll be hooking up some Maxtor Maxline II drives to it (but I may be selling these and replacing them with the Seagate 7200.8 drives). I'm looking at RAID 5 across a five 250GB disk array. The controller will be plugged into a 32bit PCI slot in my nforce4-based 2500+.

So, what should I do? Online array expansion that the raidcore does is kinda nifty, so I can migrate my data from my existing RAID 0 250GB array and then exapand the new array to include the existing drives as well as the new one.

Suggestions?

The Highpoint doesn't have a hardware RAID 5 engine, so your processor will be doing the xor calculations. This means your system will be slower with it.

==>Lazn

the raidcore doesn't either.

look at a 3ware card if you want to spend that much. $300 for a 4way, iirc, but you get what you paid for.

Get the Raidcore. Make sure u get the Broadcom version. Ability to combine 4 controllers is sweet. Multiple raid levels over the same drives. Waiting to see the prices on Seagate 7200.8 300GB and 400GB to decide which one to go for.

Back