HSF is too big to put a RAM stick in the closest slot--triple interleave??

Ladyhawk

Limp Gawd
No, I'm not removing the heatsink fan (Cooler Master Hyper 212+). That thing was a bear to install. The screws were too big (that's what she said) and the only way I could get the retention bracket to work was by extending one end and leaving the other as-is. None of this was in the manual or on any of the installation videos I could find. So, it stays, god dammit!

I can't find "triple interleave" in my motherboard manual (Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3). I just did a Google Search and now I'm confused. In the past, interleave mode was determined by the motherboard and it was dual channel only. I can't find any reference to triple interleave anywhere. Of course, I could be missing it.

A little help here? Looks like Gigabyte is hard to get in touch with.

Your board supports dual channel memory architecture not triple.

Right on the Gigabyte site it says dual channel architecture. The Russian? site you linked to also says dual channel supported.

I have the UD3H board. These are dual channel boards. I think you need an AMD system for triple.

If you have 2 sticks, use the 2nd and 4th slots (counting from the CPU)

Right on the Gigabyte site it says dual channel architecture. The Russian? site you linked to also says dual channel supported.

Look again. ;)

Memory

Number of Memory Slots

4 x DDR3
Memory Standard

DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz
Maximum Memory Supported

32GB
Dual Channel Supported

Yes
Triple Channel Supported

ECC Supported

SLI-Ready Memory

If you look next to dual channel on that site it says yes. next to triple, it says nothing..

Look again. ;)

Memory

Number of Memory Slots

4 x DDR3
Memory Standard

DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz
Maximum Memory Supported

32GB
Dual Channel Supported

Yes
Triple Channel Supported

ECC Supported

SLI-Ready Memory
Read again, there is no 'yes' under the triple channel supported.

Thanks everyone. I'm a tad miffed.

Question: With the second closest RAM slot, the metallic heat spreader on the G.Skill RAM touches the heatsink. Is this a bad thing? I haven't tried booting it up yet. Still working on putting the necessary parts together.

Also, someone told me NOT to use interleaved anyway. I'm confused. :D

It won't affect anything. Do a minimal install first outside the box to minimize headaches.

As long as it is not holding up the CPU cooler from making contact with the CPU it should be ok.

Next question: Is interleaved the way to go? If it doesn't make that big of a difference, I can just install 3 sticks of RAM and say, "Screw it!"

Next question: Is interleaved the way to go? If it doesn't make that big of a difference, I can just install 3 sticks of RAM and say, "Screw it!"

Unless you are benchmarking, dual channel, triple channel or, none, makes very little difference.

Read again, there is no 'yes' under the triple channel supported.

I think everyone's in agreement this is a dual-channel-only board. Even if there's no "yes" under triple channel, it does say "Triple Channel Supported" which is misleading, but hey, it's a Russian site. ;)

It seems that any memory with taller heatsinks will hit the 212+, i have it in the asrock z68 board i have and all i did was slide the CPU fan up some on the heatsink and was fine lol

Why go by something other than the manufacturer site.
4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
* Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

Anyway.. there are 2 reason I opt for the lowest profile RAM sinks.. 1 is that I like minimalistic look better and they are pointless in the first place and 2 is that it is known to get in the way of aftermarket hsf.

If the ramsink is touching the fan, see if you can move the fan up a bit or move the fan in a pull configuration on the other side of the heatsink. You do not want the RAM putting pressure on the fan which means you are bending the ram in its slot.

It seems that any memory with taller heatsinks will hit the 212+, i have it in the asrock z68 board i have and all i did was slide the CPU fan up some on the heatsink and was fine lol

I've got an Intel DP67BG w/ Hyper 212+, and if my RAM had heatsinks, the first slot would not fit unless I had the fan set up to pull through the HSF.

The site is Bulgarian and it's just not formatted in the best way. If you read closely though it's obvious it does not mention Triple either. They also list AGP slot and there is no Yes to the right of that.

Anyway you probably mean the fan brackets. Hold the brackets while screwing it in.

How many sticks are you using? If you are using two just use the white channels and problem solved.

Last edited:
If you look next to dual channel on that site it says yes. next to triple, it says nothing..

Thats because its 4 sticks, if it was 3 or 6 it would be "triple channel memory"
Any RAM that fits in the slot can be dual,triple,quad,etc channel. the memory does not dictate how many channels.

Back