HT Enabled = Unstable?

HongKongPolice

Limp Gawd
Helping a friend setup a system, IS7 + P4 2.4C. Problem is that whenever HT is enabled in BIOS, WinXP won't even install. With it disabled, everything works fine...

Running stock settings for everything, even tried increasing VCore, Vdimm, and Vagp with no avail. What could be wrong, the CPU or Mobo? I've updated the mobo to the latest BIOS - 18.

Please help.
Thanks

try installing it without HT enabled, then when installed turn it back on and see what happens. not sure tho.

i had this same problem. turned out to be a bad cpu. call intel for an rma.

Hmm, could the motherboard be at fault?

Sorry to sound n00b, but how do I contact Intel for RMA for an OEM chip, in Toronto Canada?

Thanks guys

Originally posted by HongKongPolice
Hmm, could the motherboard be at fault?

Sorry to sound n00b, but how do I contact Intel for RMA for an OEM chip, in Toronto Canada?

Thanks guys

If its brand new contact the reseller.

Intel has offices all around the world. The boxed processors have a three year warranty on them as well.

Again if its real new take it to the reseller.

Nope, it was bought online, and didn't come with retail box. Has anyone RMA'd a cpu directly with Intel? Do they require a reciept 'n everything? I'm hoping that Intel would RMA cpus without a reciept since the batch code would indicate when and where it was made...

It doesn't matter if it was bought online or not, still a store/reseller.
Assuming you actually bought it within the last 30 days, just return it to the reseller, whether it's OEM or retail.

Originally posted by MrMike
It doesn't matter if it was bought online or not, still a store/reseller.
Assuming you actually bought it within the last 30 days, just return it to the reseller, whether it's OEM or retail.

No, it was bought online from hardforums, it's used. The seller is being a bitch 'n won't refund.

Try turning your memory down.
I.e. if it's DDR 400 set it to DDR 333

Just an idea, had a few bad mobo's that did weird stuff until i turned the memory down.

I put in another 2.4C and it runs fine, so it IS the CPU's fault.. Does Intel RMA retail CPUs without a reciept or retail packaging?

Thanks

Back