HTC's in ur phonez, stealin ur dataz

quakefiend420

Limp Gawd
And you thought that Apple tracking location data was bad...

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...evices-well-there-is-more-and-it-isnt-pretty/

I know the dev who found this factory installed malware, and he has more releases planned to force them to do something to stop it. He gave them the chance to come clean, they didn't...they said that it could be opted out of...they lied.

This needs to get a lot more attention that it is getting currently, there's a lot more to this than what he's released so far...this will get ugly.

It would be so much better for consumers and the entire Android ecosystem if manufacturers would simply stick to modifying the phones and NOT the OS.

I think that there should be a rule that phones HAVE to ship with vanilla Android, and that manufacturers can offer custom themes and interfaces. This would essentially eliminate nearly all of the fragmentation issues that happen when manufacturers try to differentiate their products through modifications to the Android framework.

(puts on 4 ply copper mesh turbo anti-gov hat)

What companies not!?!

Does that mean if we root, it would go around this or not? ... it is pretty messed up -

Does that mean if we root, it would go around this or not? ... it is pretty messed up -

I hang out on XDA quite a lot, and from what I've heard from some of the major devs that do Epic 4G development, most services that record data on the phone to transmit to the carrier can be disabled or removed when a kernel is modified. Root in and of itself would do nothing to prevent data collection.

However, any information that passes through your carrier, such as your text messages, destination of your dialed calls, received or transmitted data, coarse location (determined by cell tower triangulation, not GPS) IP address, etc is not something you can prevent them from recording.

I've heard that there has been some talk about the Justice System looking into what has been referred to as "warrant-less searches" of private information by carriers, but I can't see it going very far as you generally sign a contract with the carrier when service is started in which they can easily waive your right to privacy of information as a term of the contract.

Last edited:
It's not really an installed app you can just remove, it's hard coded into the kernel. When a rom gets cooked up, they remove the code, making sure it doesn't mess with stability.

Back