HTPC freezes upon resume from remote

DragonQ

Limp Gawd
Hi,

My HTPC is being very annoying right now. When I turn it on (resume) using my IR remote, the power LED turns on and the fans and HDD spin up. When it works, the red LED on the IR receiver turns off after a few seconds, the keyboard's Num Lock LED lights up and the monitor shows the desktop. However, ~50% of the time, the red LED on the IR receiver stays on and nothing else happens - no video output, no recognition of the keyboard. I have to hard-reset to fix it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this only happens if I resume the HTPC via the IR remote. I haven't noticed this happening when waking the HTPC via the keyboard or "magic packet" over ethernet. It's a cheap IR remote so maybe it's just a bit rubbish but I haven't found an equivalent yet (in terms of the buttons and mouse trackpad).

I can't see anything in the Windows logs but I'm not entirely sure what to look for. Can anyone give me some advice as to what to look for here? Or maybe some software I can run to track what happens upon resume?

Specs:
MSI H67MA-E35 (latest BIOS & chipset drivers)
Intel Celeron G530
4 GB 1066 MHz RAM (CMV4GX3M2A1333C9)
nVidia GT 430 (Asus passive - 90-C1CQD0-L0UAN0YZ)
BlackGold BGT3600 (tuner)
Antec EA-380D Green
Samsung BD-ROM (SH-B123L/BSBP)
MCE IR Remote

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I see. How can I find out which IR receiver will work? The remote is meant to be "MCE compatible" but I don't know if that guarantees it'll work with any old MCE IR receiver. I don't remember my Hama remote having an RC6 logo. :(

Back