HTPC/Graphics/Photo Editing Station Recommendations?

shocksyde

2[H]4U
I've been out of the rig-building game for a few years now and am way behind on the current "good" components. I need a computer that can run as an HTPC and also do graphics work.

I'm in need a SFF computer that can run/has:

- A dual analog tuner (have dual tuner PCI hauppauge MCE500 already)
- An HD OTA tuner (have USB one)
- Adobe Photoshop / Lightroom, Quark
- Windows XP MCE or Vista MCE (which one should I go with?)
- Wireless internet (intergrated or not, doesn't matter)
- Sound (integrated is okay if it isn't crap)
- A small case able to be placed on the desk (Desktop mATX preferred)
- 1 SATA2 OS HD (100GB) and 1 SATA2 data HD (500GB)
- 2 500GB external HDs (used for backup and extra space if needed)

I do not game at all, so a beefy graphics card is not necessary. I am not concerned with 5.1 surround sound, but I won't complain if it's included. The display used as both a TV and monitor is a Dell 2407. I do also have a 17" LCD that I may use as a secondary monitor when the TV function is being used. I don't really have a set budget, but obviously the cheaper, the better.

Thanks a bunch to anyone who chimes in!

Here's my preliminary component list:

LITE-ON combo drive
Lian Li V350B
(2) Seagate 7200.10 500GB SATA2 HDs
Wireless Adapter
Coolmax "EZ WIRE" 400W Modular Power Supply
GeIL 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800
Asus P5E-VM Mobo
Intel E6750 2.66GHZ
Hauppauge 500MCE Dual Analog Tuner (have)
Hauppauge USB HD Tuner (have)

Drop that Coolmax PSU. Poor choice. Never skimp on the power supply. If you need a modular PSU, I recommend these two:
Corsair 520HX 520W PSU - $106
Corsair 620HX 620W PSU - $139

Also, the E6750 is technically an out of date CPU ever since the release of the E8400. The E8400 is suppose to be the same price as the E6750, however due to hig demand, early release and low supply, the prices of the E8400 remain quite high. It'll reach E6750 prices in a month or so.

In case you're wondering, the E8400 is faster than the E6750, overclocks significantly higher and uses less power doing so. So it's a good CPU, better than the E6750 in every way except for price.

If you're not inclined to wait a month or willing to pay the $230+ for the E8400, go with the E6750.

Thanks for the tips!

Here's my updated list:

LITE-ON DVD/CD Burner
Lian Li V350B
Seagate 7200.10 500GB SATA2 HD
Wireless Adapter
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W Modular Power Supply
GeIL 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800
Asus P5E-VM Mobo
Intel E6750 2.66GHZ (E8400 if I can find it)
Hauppauge 500MCE Dual Analog Tuner (have)
Hauppauge USB HD Tuner (have)

Alright, so this list is very close to being finalized. I researched each component to make sure it plays nice with 64-bit Vista, and upped the RAM to 8GB.

LITE-ON DVD/CD SATA Burner
Lian Li V350B
(1 or 2) Seagate 7200.10 500GB SATA2 HD
Vista 64 compatible Wireless Adapter
(2) GeIL 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 (Total of 8GB)
Asus P5E-VM Mobo
Intel E8400 (Where is it available? AHHHHH!)
AVerMedia ATSC/NTSC Dual Tuner
Logitech Wireless KB/M Combo
D-Link PCI Wireless Adapter
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

If anyone knows where I can get an E8400, let me know! That seems to be the only thing holding me back. I went to Microcenter today and they were out. This other customer was trying to convince me that I should just get the Q6600 ($199). Should I? Would there be any difference in regards to my computing needs (HTPC, graphics, photo editing)?

If anyone knows where I can get an E8400, let me know! That seems to be the only thing holding me back. I went to Microcenter today and they were out. This other customer was trying to convince me that I should just get the Q6600 ($199). Should I? Would there be any difference in regards to my computing needs (HTPC, graphics, photo editing)?

For $200? Hell YES! That's one of the best deals yet for the Q6600. I thought Microcenter stopped that promotion a week ago. Run back and get that CPU ASAP!

And yes it'll help with your HTPC, graphics and photo editing needs. The two extra cores will make multi-tasking much easier.

If you don't want to pay $100 for a 500W PSU, consider the Mushkin HP550. Modular, not too bad quality, $80 or so.

Or you could pay for a non modular supply and stuff the extra cables into drive bays.

Well, I decided to not wait for the E8400 to become available, so I went to Microcenter and picked up a Q6600 and Corsair 520W Modular PSU for just under $300 after taxes. The PSU was on clearance for $83. Kickass.

Side note: Microcenter is a dangerous, dangerous place.

So the updated UPDATED list is:

Lian Li V350B
(1 or 2) Seagate 7200.10 500GB SATA2 HD
Vista 64 compatible Wireless Adapter
Asus P5E-VM Mobo
Intel Q6600
AVerMedia ATSC/NTSC Dual Tuner

I'm probably going to order the remaining parts from Newegg tonight. Weee!

Parts ordered!

I'm going to see if the on-board graphics are sufficient before I order a video card. I really don't game at all, so I'm thinking it won't be necessary. We'll see, though.

Why in the world you bought Corsair PSU and for $83 bucks. Good GOD man, you should have bought EarthWatt 480 PSU 80% Efficency or 380 Watts one super quite, excellent, and green for under $50 any day. I bought it for $5 from newegg from HOT DEALS.

Q6600 is very good choice, Excellent Decision, if you are into Video Editing, or Encoding.

I wanted a modular PSU. That takes Earthwatts off the list.

I chose the Corsair because it was recommended to me and got good reviews on newegg. I don't think it was a bad decision.

As for the Q6600, it was my second choice. I'm still going to use an E8400 if I can find it within the next week. I won't be too disappointed if I can't find one, though.

Why in the world you bought Corsair PSU and for $83 bucks. Good GOD man, you should have bought EarthWatt 480 PSU 80% Efficency or 380 Watts one super quite, excellent, and green for under $50 any day. I bought it for $5 from newegg from HOT DEALS..

For $83, that's a good price for the Corsair 520HX considering it normally retails for $100+. The Corsair 520HX is of superior quality to either Earthwatts PSUs, is modular and is pretty close to 80+ efficient. Yes they do share the same manufacturer, Seasonic, but the Earthwatts are low to mid quality Seasonic builds while Corsairs are high-end Seasonic builds. In addition, the Corsair offers significantly more power than either Earthwatts so the OP doesn't have to worry about getting a new PSU if he gets a new video card, more hard drives, etc.

So it was a good choice.

Ok, the system is built! Vista runs suuuuuuuper fast. I haven't experienced any lag in media center. I can't wait to try gaming on this thing. (Yeah, I know I said I wouldn't game, but I've had a change of heart). I wish I had pics for you guys but I'm in the middle of a move and that'll have to wait til the weekend.

Final parts list:

Lian Li V350B
Seagate 7200.11 500GB SATA2 HD (OS/Storage)
WD 750GB GP SATA HD (Strictly Storage)
Asus P5E-VM Mobo
Intel Q6600 (2.4GHz for now, had it up to 3.2GHz for a day)
Scythe Mini Ninja (Not satisfied with the Intel retail HSF)
eVGA 9600GT SSC 512MB (I decided I'd give PC gaming another go-around)
AVerMedia Combo ATSC/NTSC Dual Tuner (2)

And a side note: Quark 7 works with Vista 64!

This system is gonna be my best buddy for quite a while, I hope.

Great to hear!

Post some pics as soon as you can!

You're still a wanker for not picking up one of those 520HXs for me.

... Good buy, all around.

Back