HTPC in a Vase?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Engadget managed to snag pictures of system on display at Computex that would look right at home in your living room. Head on over and check out all the pictures, I grabbed these to whet your appetite.

It looks like it'd be in grandma's house but that is seriously amazing.

Pretty cool, but why not go for a slot loading optical drive?

The placard mentions the SFF having an Atom processor and Nvidia ION graphics running Blu-ray. I wonder how well it performs watching 1080p movies.

Pretty cool, but why not go for a slot loading optical drive?

The vase would have to have a slot missing for that to work. The tray based drive would allow it to look completely intact.

The placard mentions the SFF having an Atom processor and Nvidia ION graphics running Blu-ray. I wonder how well it performs watching 1080p movies.

Anandtech did a great write up on the ION platform with the Atom 330 recently. Here's the link.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3562

Overall the ION with an Atom 330 can easily play the part of an HTPC for some people.

I may have to investigate the ION and 330 again as I'm looking into building an HTPC right now. Something smaller and even lower cost would be very nice.

That is awesome....we are finally getting away from the computer = box with a thousand cords come out of it mentality with pc's.

That is awesome....we are finally getting away from the computer = box with a thousand cords come out of it mentality with pc's.

We have been there for a while, most people just don't see it. Build a desktop PC w/ Bluetooth and Wireless G/N and a monitor with speakers and HDMI and you are pretty much there.

However, what is cheap is why we still see th box with a thousand cords.

Engadget managed to snag pictures of system on display at Computex that would look right at home in your living room. Head on over and check out all the pictures, I grabbed these to whet your appetite.

I might want a different type of vase, but that's really an awesome case. You could sit it on a table and nobody would know it was a computer.

I'm super impressed. I wonder what the ASP is.

I might want a different type of vase, but that's really an awesome case. You could sit it on a table and nobody would know it was a computer.

I'm super impressed. I wonder what the ASP is.

Yeah. If it were a black or other solid dark color vase(dark navy or burgundy would work well) it would look better.

Right now, as I mentioned above, that vase looks like something my grandma would have.

We have been there for a while, most people just don't see it. Build a desktop PC w/ Bluetooth and Wireless G/N and a monitor with speakers and HDMI and you are pretty much there.

However, what is cheap is why we still see th box with a thousand cords.

Well, small form factor computing is becoming more and more common and cheaper, too. Asus is coming out with the keyboard PC with wireless HDMI and a touch screen built into the keyboard for what ... $600?? Amazing. Now with Ion, very capable of playing blu ray and MKV videos (flash is still trouble but they're working on it, too) are soon going to fit every budget and space constraint. People can fasten them on the back of the TV, or easily conceal the system in a wall right behind a flat panel wall-mounted screen. The possibilities are endless. And Ion won't be the last. I expect Intel to follow with jack-shi....errr..crap integrated video that will be 10x faster than current Atom chipsets, which means still 10% as fast as Ion, and we'll see AMD follow with some good stuff, too. The 780g really brought some serious budget performance to the HTPC. I built one myself that looks like a nice home theater receiver.

Now we can make our computers look like vases. If we can build one into a vase we can easily build one into a TV stand or whatever furniture or household object we want.

That would seriously get WAF approval. My mom would also like something like that.

Back