HTPC Keyboard/Remote Question

Thanatos.

Gawd
So i just got a new HDTV a Westy 40" and i hooked up my second rig to it as a HTPC and was looking to get a simple wireless keyboard/mouse combo to control it but then i ran into this
The Media Center Remote keyboard has all i need in one package and well i can get it for around $30 but the problem is that it doesn't come with a receiver for it. So my question is this will any IR reciever for a computer work with this or do i need a specific microsoft one for it? If its the latter, can i get just that receiver instead of having to buy this.

The only way I know to get the Microsoft IR receiver/blaster is to buy the remote combo. That being said, it is still cheaper ($30) than getting a USB-UIRT. Most other combos won't save you much money.

Ebay has them for about $30. Man i really want one but im not willing to spend $60 on it (including the remote for the sensor) is there nothing else compatible thats cheaper. I really know nothing of IR recievers.

It depends on your current component configuration, but for long term usability, I'd save up and get the IR receiver. Then you can have a true 'seamless' home theater experience using an all-in-one remote.

Of course 1080i on my HDTV makes text (other than MCE's) unreadable, so I don't use a keyboard. It is nice only having one remote for everything...

The Logitech Harmony remote I am using works well with my Microsoft IR receiver. However, it is just emulating the commands of a MCE remote. I would think as long as the device has the right software, the MS receiver would just pass the info along, so to speak...

Is there anything special about that microsoft IR receiver where it only works with microsoft devices?

No. HiP and Girder should be able to make use of it, just as they do with a USB-UIRT. HiP uses a replacement driver for the receiver. Windows updates (especially if you run MCE) have the annoying habit of overwriting that driver, but it's easily replaced.

I have the MSFT keyboard. I use it with one of those cheap knockoff MCE remotes and IR receivers found on Ebay. I got a set for $15 back in the day. So to answer your question, NO you do not need to buy the Msft IR receiver to use the Msft keyboard.

On that note, let me express how much I hate this keyboard. The mouse on it is HARD to use; one of the hardest ones I've ever used. To use the thumb mouse, you have to actually push it down applying pressure and then move it around. It sounds easy, but it gets frustrating when it doesn't go where you want. Aesthetically, it looks great, but man, functionally, it's HORRIBLE!

personally, i've been using the Gyration keyboard/mouse combo..

the older style found here http://www.itwales.com/999093.htm

the keyboard is very small (laptop size) but works extremely well..

but the big winner is the gyration mouse, for an MCE machine the mouse works great as an air mouse.. Very easy to use, no desk required..

i don't know if you can find them for cheap (i got mine off woot for 40$ for the mouse/keyboard/Receiver combo).. but they are worth it IMHO..

and the newer remote style mouse is probably even better..

-edit

looks like they now have a full size keyboard too http://www.provantage.com/gyration-gc1205fkm~7GYRA12J.htm

I bought the Microsoft Keyboard Remote and I love it. I've been using it for a few months now. The laptop-style nub doesn't work as well as the ones you'd find on a business-class laptop but it works well enough for simple Windows tasks. It's obviously not meant to replace an actual mouse, only to provide mouse functions if you ever need them outside of Media Center.

I had already purchased the actual Microsoft Remote and receiver so I had the receiver, I'm sure you can find a used one on ebay though.

The keyboard's keys are slightly heavier than a laptop's but aren't like a regular keyboard eaither. Another upside is that battery life is great. After 4 months I haven't even thought about replacing the batteries. If you use your HTPC outside of Media Center alot and don't mind having a mouse sitting on your table then I would go with a nice wireless combo but if you like using Media Center with occasional web browsing or windows tasks I think the Microsoft Remote Keyboard would be ideal.

Well i ended up going with the Logitech S510 i got it for $30 from buy.com so ill let you know how it goes once it gets here. The remote keyboard looked nice but this way i can actually game on the tv if i feel like it. Plus im not running MCE on it just XP Pro. Thanks for all the help though.

Back