HTPC - new build/suggestions.

Ladicius

Limp Gawd
I recently upgraded my old PC to a HTPC and the specs are below in my signature.

My father wants a new server and I am thinking about giving him that computer and building myself a new computer, which will mainly be used for a HTPC for the next 6 to 8 months and then a gaming comp after that, since I don't have HDTV where I go to school.

Right now I have the comp below using a Vbox DTA-150 for HDTV reception, along with BeyondTV for my software. It looks great but I want a little more out of it.

I plan on buying an e6300 with a ds3 motherboard, yet I am still uncertain about the ram and video card. I hear a lot of good things about the 7900gs (will be a gaming machine for the next year after the 8 months is up). Is it a good option for HDTV as well? I searched through the nvidia site and found that it supports all the items that purevideo utilizes, which is good, but I still wonder if it will be able to handle the 3d accelerated mode and use hardware decoding as well, instead of the stock overlay setting. Any reccomendations on other cards? or card manufacturers along that same chip?

As for Ram, I am a hardcore Corsair fan, it has never failed me and will probably stick with the same brand when I buy new, yet it is quite expensive. My question is there a huge difference between pc4200 and pc5300 when it comes to HTPC use, or overclocking? Just trying to decide if the extra 20 bucks is really worth it or not. Or if you have other, cheaper, and reliable ram for suggestions, please offer them up :D.

Ladicius said:
I recently upgraded my old PC to a HTPC and the specs are below in my signature.

My father wants a new server and I am thinking about giving him that computer and building myself a new computer, which will mainly be used for a HTPC for the next 6 to 8 months and then a gaming comp after that, since I don't have HDTV where I go to school.

Right now I have the comp below using a Vbox DTA-150 for HDTV reception, along with BeyondTV for my software. It looks great but I want a little more out of it.

I plan on buying an e6300 with a ds3 motherboard, yet I am still uncertain about the ram and video card. I hear a lot of good things about the 7900gs (will be a gaming machine for the next year after the 8 months is up). Is it a good option for HDTV as well? I searched through the nvidia site and found that it supports all the items that purevideo utilizes, which is good, but I still wonder if it will be able to handle the 3d accelerated mode and use hardware decoding as well, instead of the stock overlay setting. Any reccomendations on other cards? or card manufacturers along that same chip?

As for Ram, I am a hardcore Corsair fan, it has never failed me and will probably stick with the same brand when I buy new, yet it is quite expensive. My question is there a huge difference between pc4200 and pc5300 when it comes to HTPC use, or overclocking? Just trying to decide if the extra 20 bucks is really worth it or not. Or if you have other, cheaper, and reliable ram for suggestions, please offer them up :D.
The 7900gs is a good mid-range video card for either HTPC or gaming use. The x1950 pro or x1900gt are good options as well.

Either way, I would recommend getting an HDCP compliant card, no matter what, in order to allow the possibility of HD content in the future.

For example, the evga 7900 gs ko is HDCP compliant, newer x1900gt are compliant, and I believe all 1950 pro's are compliant.

It has been suggested often that faster ram does not always bring faster performance. And when overclocking, a RAM divider can be used. However, for $20, I'd go with faster RAM if I were you.

zero_vertical said:
i wouldn't reccomend ATI cards for HTPCs. the drivers stink compared to nvidia. i'd stick with the initial reccomendation on the 7900gs. great card. runs very cool. hdcp compliant. and of course, nvidias superior drivers.

zv
I haven't had any driver issues with the 3 ATi cards I've owned

And not all 7900gs are HDCP compliant

I know that purevideo is pure pwnsauce, so I will probably stick with an Nvidia card, but that x1900gt is a real eye catcher.

Would it be smarter to wait for a g80 type video card? I know that I could easily spend 180 bucks on an HDCP compliant video card and was looking more into the $180 range with rebates and google checkouts and spending a cool $130 overall. I figure that when the HDCP movement starts it's full swing, HD-DVD and Blu-ray players for the PC will be a lot cheaper and most all the video cards out will be HDCP compliant, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad thing to wait for a year or so.

Thanks for the tips and recommendations more are welcomed!

jebo_4jc said:
I haven't had any driver issues with the 3 ATi cards I've owned
That all depends; are you using DVI/HDMI out to the TV and if your TV happens to be one of the many that seems to tick off the ATI drivers?

I have to agree with the guy above, either get something like a 7300GS (basically something disposable but still decent) or wait until first/second quarter 2007 for when the G80 based midrange and low range cards are released with the hope that NV or some manufactures have the foresight to include HDCP support with them.

Back