HTPC remote for W7 WMC

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
Is there a standard that people follow? I am not looking for a keyboard and mouse or anything like that, I am looking for a straight up WMC compatible remote that will work with W7. I know Microsoft used to sell them and had them right up on their website but all of the links that point to their product pages no longer work and they dont have them listed anymore on their devices page.

What's the one that everyone recommends for ease of use, price, and design?

Is there a standard that people follow? I am not looking for a keyboard and mouse or anything like that, I am looking for a straight up WMC compatible remote that will work with W7. I know Microsoft used to sell them and had them right up on their website but all of the links that point to their product pages no longer work and they dont have them listed anymore on their devices page.

What's the one that everyone recommends for ease of use, price, and design?

i use my iPhone 4 as the htpc remote through an app called hipporemote. if you have an iPhone, this works really well. plus the app is $5 vs an expensive wmc remote.

Xbox360 remote works too... you just need to find an IR receiver.

You can still get Microsoft, Dell, or unbranded MCE remotes (with or without receivers) on ebay for fairly cheap. The Rosewill remotes on Newegg periodically go on sale as well, so you should find something simple and cheap for your needs.

Or if you want to splurge, and get a remote to control your TV, receiver, computer, and other components, go for a Logitech Harmony series.

c00965319.jpg
No complaints.

You can get a genuine Microsoft (Dell rebranded) remote off ebay for 10-20 bucks. Make sure it includes the IR dongle. Works well and I replaced the remote with a Harmony One but still use the dongle. The most popular version should look like this: MCE Remote but there are some other versions as well.

Some of the knockoffs don't actually send the same IR commands as a genuine remote. They send keyboard shortcuts that don't always function correctly and will probably not play as nice with universal remotes if you ever decide to go that route.

I used to have a Gyration media center remote with the built-in mouse pointer (which works very well incidentally). The "down" arrow button eventually stopped working, and I replaced it with a cheapo Emprex 3009URF, which is nowhere near as flashy but does the job just fine if you don't need the air mouse functionality.

I much prefer RF remotes over IR as they don't need a line-of-sight to work well, although they can sometimes interfere with other wireless stuff if that's a concern.

slight hijack:
Any place to source cheap USB IR dongles for cases that didn't come with?

Back