htpc/server hybrid

Brando457

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently use my computer as an all-in-one type unit. It acts as my gaming pc, storage unit, and htpc.

I would like to build a file server/htpc hybrid type of computer that I could have connected strictly to my 60" lcd. The computer would be used to play movies from it on to the tv through my receiver/lcd. In addition I would like to store all my media on it with the ability to have redundant backup as well.

The plan would be to build a separate box and then have it strictly for storage/video playback only. I would rip/download the media to my current main box and once I have the labeling correct transfer it to the file server/htpc for safe keeping/final storage and playback.

What kind of software/hardware would I need to accomplish the above? Is it do-able?

Last edited:
I did this for a while until I separated out the front end (nettop with openelec).
I still don't have any redundancy server side.
As for your question. If you are comfortable using Linux. I would just use a common Linux Distro (ie. Debian, Ubuntu or Linux Mint). Install XBMC. And setup anything else you need.
I generally use very low end parts. The server is still using an AMD E-350. When I had XBMC on it. if I had to decompress large volumes video playback would stutter as CPU usage would spike.

My specs are in my sig.

edit: I'd like to point out. The experience gets much better once you separate out the front end. Since an interface / app like XBMC will receive continuous updates. And the back end gets to be set and forget. I don't think the server has been updated in over a 1.5 yrs now, and any interaction is through ssh, ftp, or Webmin. Laugh.

Last edited:
Back