HTPC with Directv

MaSsAcRe

Weaksauce
Ok, so I have a few questions about an upcoming HTPC build. Any help would be much appreciated.

I currently have Directv (4 receivers one of which is a DVR) and I'd like to build an HTPC so that I can basically have another DVR. Now, I'm not even sure if this is possible, but would I technically be able to record the current channels I get if I have a TV Tuner Card?

If this is possible, do I just connect a S-Video cable from the receiver to the TV Tuner Card? I'm thinking I have to plug in the antenna also, but would it be considered analog or digital? Considering I have an oldschool rooftop antenna, I think it would be analog. If I want to record shows in digital quality, do I have to connect the satellite cable instead? This whole TV Tuner Card business confuses me. :confused:

Man, I'm confused too after that. OK, if you want to only record DirecTV then you need an analog tuner with an S-video input. Run an S-video cable from the DirecTV receiver to the input on the tuner card, as well as an audio cable (a lot of tuners have a 3.5mm plug instead of the actual white and red RCA connectors). This whole method is considered "analog".

If you want to use your rooftop antenna to pick up digital channels then you need to get a card that has a digital (or sometimes referred to as ATSC) tuner. There are even "combo" cards that can do both digital and analog. So if you had a combo card, you could actually record from both DirecTV and antenna at the same time (or watch one, record the other).

Any clearer?

Ok yes, this makes more sense now. Based on what you described to me, I'm gonna go with the first option.

You say I need an analog tuner for this but aren't all analog signals going out in June? Could I get a digital tuner and accomplish the same goal of recording DirecTV but in digital ? Also, if I had 2 digital tuners with a Y S-video cable could I watch and record record the DirecTV?

You cant "Tune" the directv signal - you can capture the video from it after the directv tuner box has converted it to an analog video format. S-Video would be the cheapest, but you could get the hauppauge hd-pvr and use that with component video to get HD.

The reason the analog tuners were mentioned is they generally come with support for capturing svideo/composite(not component) standard def analog video. For capturing the directv from svideo you don't even need the tuner part and could just use a card that captured svideo, but such cards arent generally available anymore.

Digital tuners only tune the digital rf signal on antenna (and sometimes digital cable). Directv uses a completely different (and encrypted) modulation scheme that there aren't pc tuners for.(they were making one, but it got cancelled apparently). Digital tuners do not include equivalent HD Capture inputs.

So from what you're saying, an analog tuner card would allow me to record my shows in SD. The question now is, how would that SD content look on a HDTV? The hauppauge hd-pvr is a nice option, but it's out of my budget range.

I don't think I would need this since the DirecTV receiver would still be intact, but if i added a second analog tuner, would I be able to watch and record my shows through windows media center?

I record DirecTV by S-Video into my Hauppage HVR-1600 tuner card. It doesn't look a LOT different than the picture from the DirecTV receiver its self on my 50" rear projection HD set. It looks a little worse on my son's 37" LCD. You might want to get a combo tuner card (capable of both analog and digital) in case you ever want to use the digital part to receive over the air digital channels. Not to throw to much at you, but there are also "hybrid" cards. This means they can do analog or digital; they just can't tune both at the same time. Either of these type of cards may be more beneificial in the long run than if you just get an analog only. But make sure that you get a card that is known for it's good analog quality. From what I hear the ATI 550 tuners are among the best as well as the newer ATI 650. The 650's can also do digital; the 550's are analog only. Digest all this, and if you need ask additional questions.

I didn't understand your last sentence about adding a 2nd tuner.

Thanks for your response htpc_user. I will most certainly look into those cards you mentioned.

About the second tuner, I was basically asking whether or not I would be able to watch a show AND record one at the same time off of one tuner card or if I would need to add an additional card?

No, I think for your purposes (DirecTV only) you'd need 2 cards, if you're talking about from 2 different receivers. Like I mentioned, with a combo card you could watch and record, but then you're talking about analog and digital Over the Air. If you're talking about 2 analog sources then you'd need 2 cards.

Awesome, all my questions have been answered. Thank you for your time ambientZ and in particular, htpc_user. Much appreciated. :)

Back