HTT and how to overclock a64's

apHytHiaTe

2[H]4U
My buddy is buying a new rig. He is getting a newcastle 3400 for the processor, and a DFI lanparty UT motherboard, and a gig of OCZ platinum rev2 3200. My question is how do u use the HTT? im sure that memory will sustain very high clock speeds without htt, but i imagine HTT will make it run even faster. So, how does this crazy stuff work? thx in advance, and sorry if i posted a question someone else posted.

apHytHiaTe said:
My buddy is buying a new rig. He is getting a newcastle 3400 for the processor, and a DFI lanparty UT motherboard, and a gig of OCZ platinum rev2 3200. My question is how do u use the HTT? im sure that memory will sustain very high clock speeds without htt, but i imagine HTT will make it run even faster. So, how does this crazy stuff work? thx in advance, and sorry if i posted a question someone else posted.

Just think of HTT as FSB and you're good to go. Just remember to keep HTT under 1GHz. If you're doing overclocking you'll want to use a 3x or 4x HTT. The xHTT speed has no bearing on the FSB for clocking. You can run 1x300 or 3x300, still the same CPU speed.

Is that 3400 Newcastle a good overclocking proc? I told him to get that one over the clawhammer. So i hope that wasnt bad advice.

if you are overclocking, a 3400 newcastle isn't going to go any farther than a 3000 or a 3200. They all seem to stop right around 2.5ghz.

Fryguy8 said:
if you are overclocking, a 3400 newcastle isn't going to go any farther than a 3000 or a 3200. They all seem to stop right around 2.5ghz.

I have two A64 3400+, and both top out at 2.6 at 1.5v. No matter what voltage I throw at them, they won't stabilize any higher.

like I said, AROUND 2.5 ghz, some top out at 2.45, some will hit 2.6, I haven't seen/heard of any be outside of those extremes.

Back