Huge price drop for i7-960 and i7-970 CPUs

The i7-950, which is currently the value CPU in the i7-9xx line, will be phased out of production as of this month. The i7-960, which had been priced in the $500-ish range, will be taking over the i7-950's spot at the $250-$300 price point. The hexa-core i7-970 will then take over the $500 price point that's being vacated by the quad-core i7-960. These changes are due to the introduction of a new i7-990x at the $1,000-ish price point.

So tempted on trying to hit a big OC (near 5Ghz) with a 970 and ride it out for a couple of years.

My D0 920 is soooo good though. Almost wish it wasn't. Not really, but it would be nice to think of doing one of these in 6 months and say I got at least one upgrade cpu out of 1366. Getting tired of one cpu per motherboard.

Anyway, bad news for the 2 or 3 people trying to get 5 bills or so out of their 970's on FS/FT.

I'm going to wait for when Microcenter starts to discount these. Hopefully they will in the next month or so

that's pretty sweet. Proof that they can and will have 6 and 8 core ivy bridge parts in the sub-$500 price point upon release methinks. Well 6 core at least. That's almost worth skipping sandy for if you didn't already build a system with sandy parts.

Back