huh?

FingerSlut

Gawd
I spent all day building this computer. The case is a thermaltake v5000, and i painstakingly hooked up all the fans to the "hardcano". The mobo is the abit AN7, with a amd mobile 2500+. Ram is 2x512 corsair xms. Video is 9800 pro. HD is seagate sata 7200 rpm 160 gb. And i dont remember what brand the dvd burner is, but it was moderately priced. The hsf is the volcano 12 "extreme".

Anyway, i kept the cpu underclocked for windows install. I installed all of the windows updates. Installed MS flight sim 2004 and Farcry. I then overclocked modestly and worked my way up to 205x10. Everything ran great. For some reason i cleared the cmos, unhooked everything, moved it across the room to hook up to my bigger monitor to check out the games. No post. 3 beeps and then 2 shorter beeps every time. It gave me a code on the bottom, but it doesnt correspond to anything in the mobo manual. I switched memory positions. Checked the seating of the video card. Checked to make sure the hsf was in the cpu power on the mobo. Then i completely torn the computer down and rebuilt it again. Didnt catch any errors but noticed the cpu now has what seems to be black marks in every hole on the top. I dont remember if it was like that. Also, on top of the shiny cpu part, looks like a square trace of the microprossessor. Didnt remember that either. IS the cpu gone, or should i try psu or mobo swapping?

Please don't use implied swearing like WTF, WTH, OMFG, etc. in thread titles.

The Rules

(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

I'm a little confused here, so I guess the thread title sums it up for me. You installed Windows with it underclocked? And you cleared the CMOS to move the PC across a room?

yeah, i guess i wanted to start fresh or something, its been a long day, i dont remember why. It was underclocked because i didnt set the cpu up in bios yet, since it was a mobile, it came in at 800 mhz.

I think the problem came with the move itself. The heatsink may have origionally been on enough to make full contact but not actually 100% on. By moving the computer it could have loosened up enough to not make good contact and allow the CPU to burn itself up. I've you've got another AXP rig around you could swap out CPU's and see what happens, chances are with black marks on it, its toast. If you've got some pics you could post those and it might be easier for others to tell.

Well its not the cpu, i put it in my computer, and shes great. I have a regular barton, and this o/cs more and runs cooler in my xpc.

So its down to psu and motherboard. anyone have any ideas?

I've had weird no post situations before with Nforce2 motherboards becuase that clear CMOS jumper doesn't always work to reset the overclock settings in the NVRAM on the nforce chipset. There hopefully is a safe mode jumper on your motherboard which will force the board to try to post in a safe (100mhz FSB) mode thus allowing you to get into the bios and load failsafe defaults. Save, Exit, Shutdown, put the safe mode jumper into the normal setting position, power up and begin setting up your bios again.
I realize you've got an ABIT AN7, but Nvidia purposefully had this safe mode jumper on all the original reference designs. Some manufacturers used it and some didn't. Unfortunately the problem is very difficult to fix without this jumper. If you don't have one, I've heard people say you can get it to boot sometimes by powering down the computer unplugging the PSU from the motherboard, and taking out the CMOS Battery leaving it out for a few hours and putting it back in and resetting the CMOS or something like that. You can probably find more detailed better explanations about this last ditch troubleshooting method, but I've never done it myself as my MSI Nforce2 motherboards all had the safe mode jumpers.
Good luck
---John

Back