huh

Tony123

Weaksauce
Ok im a total NNNNEEEEWWWWBBBB.
i know how to overclock with coolbits
but plz tell me what the hell is flashing. on some other forum site a guy made me believe that flashing only labels your card as a better one to impress freinds(then whats with the risk talk) im sure that theres more to it than that. is it just another way of overclocking? plz tell me

ty for reading

damn i better hurry and flash my video card so it will be labeled something different... i mean.. who ever thought that the only differences in higher end video cards was more than just the names.. so i guess when i flash it, it will be exactly the same just with new name.. YAYAYAYYAY

Do you know what a BIOS flash is? That's what they're talking about. The BIOS is a little software program that contains all the basic hardware settings for your video card. Flashing it, is overwriting it with a new one (often one that isn't meant for it). It is risky because if it gets interrupted mid flash, you have a dead card. And if you flash it with a BIOS that is too incompatible, you can kill your card, or at least have no display. It will make your card show up as whatever model BIOS you used, but personally I don't find the risk worth the ½ inch you gain on your e-penis. :p

Tony123 said:
Ok im a total NNNNEEEEWWWWBBBB.
i know how to overclock with coolbits
but plz tell me what the hell is flashing. on some other forum site a guy made me believe that flashing only labels your card as a better one to impress freinds(then whats with the risk talk) im sure that theres more to it than that. is it just another way of overclocking? plz tell me

ty for reading

Nvrmind the flaming monkeys above. Flashing your card is the process in which you overwrite your videocard's (or any hardware you flash's) bios chip with a new one. The bios is stored on a different kind of chip that in simple terms retains information stored on it with out power. It is like ram that acts like a hard disk. Most complex hardware requires this bios chip and to store a bios to tell it fundemental things about how to operate. Bios itself stands for basic input output system and is responsible for telling your hardware how to interpret the messages it is sent and how to process instructions in the most basic way. Now knowing this you can understand how flashing you bios is risky, for without the bios properly installed you will have no way of communicating with your hardware device, and when that happens your device is effectively DEAD.
So how might you kill your device by flashing you may now be asking yourself. Well say you are in the middle of flashing your bios chip and the power goes out. Uh-oh. Say goodbye to your graphic card. What if the bios flash doesn't work and pauses half way? Uh-oh. What about if you flash the wrong bios onto your chip? Uh-oh. So the point is, if you are risking killing your equipment for any reason it should be a good one, ie giving it a better bios with more functionality or stability. GOOD! Not flashing your bios so you can look cool to your friends, whom incidentially are too stupid to know what the card looks like or behaves like and will believe you when you say you have something bling when you dont. BAD!

Back