hx520 vs. vx550

tc17

Limp Gawd
I was debating between these two power supplies.

Does the HX520 have 54a on the 12v line (for a total), even though its less watts than the VX550?

Also, what is the "8-pin EPS12V" connector used for that comes with the HX520?

There isn't a huge difference in price between the two, but one review claimed the ripple on the vx550 was even better. Although its rated at 41a on the 12v line.

I also read that the cables on the hx520 are stiff, and someone broke their drives sata power connection because of it. I'm not sure which psu I will get.

Does the HX520 have 54a on the 12v line (for a total), even though its less watts than the VX550?

No you cannot add the rails that way, per the label it is rated for a maximum of 480W taken off the 12V rails which is 40A . It depends on what is loaded on each rail. You can pull 18A out of one rail, 18A out of another rail but that third rail could only provide an additional 4A .

Also, what is the "8-pin EPS12V" connector used for that comes with the HX520?

Motherboard power, some boards have a 4pin aux 12V power for the cpu other (most quad core rated boards and high end boards) have an 8pin aux 12V power for the cpu. Long story, dont worry about it. It comes with both and you are covered.

There isn't a huge difference in price between the two, but one review claimed the ripple on the vx550 was even better. Although its rated at 41a on the 12v line.

The 550 is rated 492W on the 12V rails which is 41A. Ripple has nothing to do with output power but is an indication of the quality of the filtering and general design quality.

Both units are compently reviewed here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/reviews.php?catID=1
In all reviews I have seen the ripple is under the ATX spec, comfortably under.

I also read that the cables on the hx520 are stiff, and someone broke their drives sata power connection because of it.
It is good quality wire with heavy insulation. If you try and design something idiot proof, God will create a better idiot.

It is simple, both are very good and backed with excellent warranty and good support (why you would need support on a power supply /shrug but it is there) if you need/want the modular cables get the 520, if not get the 550. Basically you cannot go wrong and if you need more power go with the 750W.

Disclaimer: I recently bought a VX550 and love it.

Both are great from what I have seen, just if you need or dont need modular is the question.

I have both the 520 and 620 and never found the cables to be "stiff". I've used all the cables in one way or another and never had a problem, this includes the 8 sata drives I have in one computer, no broken connections. I say take your time connecting everything and you'll be fine.

My brother has the 520. And it's freakin' amazing. The cables aren't stiff at all. No problem installing it at all.

Thanks for all the replies here, they were very helpful.

It is good quality wire with heavy insulation. If you try and design something idiot proof, God will create a better idiot.
LMAO :D I almost fell out of my chair. Thanks for the positive replies here guys. We are proud of our PSU line and appreciate the kind words.

You can break the plastic on the Sata cable, I know, because I managed it, but that is because I was downright clumsy....:D
I tried to connect two drives that were slightly further apart than the connectors on the cable, and the strain snapped a bit of the plastic casing off.
Nothing to do with Corsair (my beloved HX620 over a year old) or the flexicables, just the numpty trying to be clever :eek:

I think God managed to create that better idiot...

I picked up a Corsair 520 this summer for a new build. Sweet power supply, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's totally quiet, comes with a nice case for all the modular cables, looks great, glowing reviews - what else can you ask for?

Whats been going on with the prices? I remember these being less than $100 but have they been going up?

Whats been going on with the prices? I remember these being less than $100 but have they been going up?
I decided to just go with the vx550w because it was cheaper. From what I read all their supplies are very good.

I got mine from buy.com for $84, not counting the $15 rebate. They are out of stock right now. But clubit.com also has the 520w for $90 after rebate. The rebates seem to be fairly often for some stores. Zipzoomfly usually has a rebate, but didn't see one the last time I checked.

The typical MSRP for these is $99 for the VX550 and $119 for the HX520, a $20 premium for modular cables primarily, since that's the biggest difference between the two products.

Stores are free to set whatever prices they want, though, and we rotate mail-in rebates and other special offers to various retailers depending on a variety of factors. Buy.com, Newegg, ZipZoomFly, ClubIT, etc, these guys all get a variety of different rebate offers occasionally, so the price one day can change significantly.

I know of one retailer that changes prices in real time based on demand. If the product starts selling more than X amount per day, they raise the price a set % or something. Inventory control I guess. :D

Received 550VX from zzf. Paid $89 + free shipping. Will do the rebate. It's a quality PSU.

Back