Hydor L-30 water pump is loud.

swoop56

Limp Gawd
I have a hydor L-30 water pump as part of my water cooling setup and it is loud. I can hear it vibrate and rattle when outside of the case. When I put it inside the case, the vibration is amplified and it vibrates my whole case making it louder. When I bought the pump the specs specificly read. Quiet operation. Are all water pumps this way? Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just the Hydor L-30?

The reason I went with watercooling was to have a quiet computer, I do get coolor temps but there's no decrease in noise. The fans are silent. But the pump is still as loud as if I had normal noisy fan cooling.

Would a Zalman reserator solve my noise problems? Can it handle the heat of my CPU and GPU?

Did you use Eheim rubber feet to mount it? Also some cases are going to be noisy no matter what you do.

have you bled all of the air out of your system already? does putting a folded up towel under the pump quiet things down enough? what case are you using?

You, sir, need a new impeller!

I have had the same problem with two Hydor L30 pumps, and after asking around, it seems the impeller (the part that spins and moves the water) wears down and begins to rattle in the pump housing. I'm not the only person who's had this problem, so I think it may be a design flaw and not a defective part. Contact Hydor from a replacement impeller, or check your local aquarium equipment dealer for new parts. Big Al's does it in Canada.

Back