Hyper 212 and ram

fightingfi

2[H]4U
ok im getting my new badass stuff i5 2500k and stuff on tuesday and was wondering how much of the motherbaord can i touch while installing my hyper 212 heatsink fan and should i have any issues. Also should i install my first stick of ram in dimm 1 before my heatsink? I'll be using all 4 dimms by the way. Tankies in Advanced :D

ok im getting my new badass stuff i5 2500k and stuff on tuesday and was wondering how much of the motherbaord can i touch while installing my hyper 212 heatsink fan and should i have any issues.

Try to avoid touching any chips or components on the front. The back is generally fine to touch but I always try to keep as minimal contact with the board as needed. Generally when doing this I grab the board by the edges flip it over and sit it on top of the antistatic bag while I install the bracket on the back for the heatsink. After this step I flip it back over on to the antistatic bag again only touching the outer edges of the board. After this I install the rest of the bracket and then install the CPU and memory. At this point I have all the standoffs installed in the case in the right place and the io cover installed. then I screw the motherboard to the case usually installing the middle screw in first (not fully tightened) so I can wiggle the board into place. Then I install the motherboard power cables. The I apply the thermal compound ( usually about 1/2 pea size in the center of the CPU) and wiggle the heatsink a bit to distribute the compound around before I tighten the fasteners that hold the heatsink.

Also should i install my first stick of ram in dimm 1 before my heatsink? I'll be using all 4 dimms by the way. Tankies in Advanced

Also should i install my first stick of ram in dimm 1 before my heatsink? I'll be using all 4 dimms by the way. Tankies in Advanced

most likely the fan will be blocking access to the RAM, not the actual heatsink itself...

go check it by placing the 212 near the socket and see whether the ram is exposed

I'd install the heatsink first though... installation can be quite a pain inititally, and i wouldn't want a stick of ram near that area

the fans clip onto the heatsink, so if ram is blocking it somewhat, you can clip the fan to a higher spot of the heatsink

So is anyone gunna answer muh 2nd question or is it epic failed of ignoring teh post weekend...:rolleyes:

sometimes the amd guys have to install the hyper212 with vertical placement due to the mounting hardwares design it is actually sub optimal you want horizontal front to back airflow if at all possible.

I've tried exhausting the air to the top in my old PC using Xigmatek S1283, but the cooling is sub-optimal, cause there are larger areas of the proc that doesn't have contact with the heatsink base. I bought the ACK775 mounting kit and rotate it to the back.

So it depends on coverage of the heatsink base.

If needed, is it possible to install the 212 rotated 180deg and mount the fan in a pull configuration?

If needed, is it possible to install the 212 rotated 180deg and mount the fan in a pull configuration?

I don't see why it wouldn't - as long as you have enough rear clearance. I'm looking at the Hyper-212 also (and, depending on the RAM placement, I'll be doing the same mounting).

I can take a photo tonight but with my setup the fan is almost (maybe barely) touching the RAM ... board is the ASROCK P67 Extreme4 Gen3 with all four RAM slots filled

I have the Intel® Desktop DZ68DB board with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + with a push/pull fan set up. The front fan sits it about 1/2" to 3/4" over the first memory slot. So if the memory that you are looking at has a large heatspreader on the top you may hit. If the memory does not have a heatspreader there is no problem with it.

sometimes the amd guys have to install the hyper212 with vertical placement due to the mounting hardwares design it is actually sub optimal you want horizontal front to back airflow if at all possible.

Yeah I built a PII htpc a couple weeks ago (with Hyper 212), and the orientation is different than my 920 system. It was a snug fit with just 2 ram sticks ... glad I didn't have to use ram slot #1 near the cpu. They are closer than Intel motherboard layouts, if I understand correctly.

You'd think they could make a cooler for each orientation, and warp the radiator about 1/2" in the needed direction to free up room at the ram slots ...

It'll be close in almost all cases but I've always been able to make it work. Otherwise just get under water!

Back