Hyper-V (Core) Networking Issues?

Silent.Sin

Gawd
tl;dr
1) Can't boot my Hyper-V core server with networking support
2) Stuck at either "Applying Computer Settings" or "Welcome" depending on if I have the ethernet cord plugged in or not
3) How the hell do I troubleshoot this beast?
4) Give up and just reinstall Hyper-V and reattach the vhds?

We are in the process of moving offices and today we moved all of our servers over. One of the servers is a Hyper-V 2008 R2 Server and I've been having some major headaches getting it to boot back up.

No modifications were done to the network and we're using the exact same hardware and topology to run it as we were in the old location. Every other server we have booted fine and I can access them just like old times. However, this Hyper-V server just does not want to complete its boot process. AD is working just fine everywhere else, as is DNS, DHCP, etc.

I think I've narrowed it down to a networking issue but like I said I have no idea why, there have been no changes to the network.

1) If I boot up with the network cable plugged in to the Hyper-V server it gets stuck at the "Applying Computer Settings" screen and will sit there forever, never getting to a login.
2) If I boot up without the network cable plugged in I get to a login screen, login with a local account, then it gets stuck at "Welcome"
3) If I boot into Safe Mode (no network support) I get all the way in with a local account to a command prompt, but that doesn't do me much good since if I run sconfig there is no network adapater attached so I can't change settings. Safe mode with network support gets stuck at the usual spots.

I've googled and found a bunch of results for being stuck on either the Applying Computer Settings or Welcome screens and most of the responses refer to hotfixes that may or may not be applicable to me. I'm not even sure how I would go about installing those from Safe mode or a Repair console.

I'm still pretty new to the Hyper-V environment. What's the best way to troubleshoot or find some sort of event log that would give me a clue as to wtf is going on? It seems to me like it's having issues contacting a login authority or establishing a network connection but I don't understand why that would completely prevent me from getting at least to a console, especially with a local account.

Rolling back to a backup image is not likely going to fix the issue as the network settings have remained the same since I built it. Server was running fine before the move, did a clean shutdown before moving, and I checked all hardware connections twice over once I got there to make sure nothing came loose in the move. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Are you running network teaming on the Hyper-V host?

Are you running network teaming on the Hyper-V host?

Nope this is a single NIC configuration, should have mentioned that. I'm using 1 Intel Pro/1000 MT.

I just tried reseating the NIC in a different PCI slot to see what happened. I actually got it to login with a local account and got to the sconfig but it doesn't "see" the NIC so something is definitely weird...Gonna try a brand new card and see what happens. Never seen a NIC go bad but I guess there's always a first time.

UPDATE: New NIC in the old spot results in the same problem as before so it doesn't seem hardware related after all. Device management issue? Now I'm even more confused...

Last edited:
Somehow got this thing working but it was one of those horrible scenarios where you really don't know what got the ball rolling...

After seating/reseating the NICs I was able to get to the sconfig if I left the network cable unplugged (before that would result in the box hanging at Welcome...). Once I got in there I was able to run devcon for device management since server core has no built in device management console that I have been able to find. This is part of the Windows Driver Kit, instructions on how to use it here: http://www.element84.com/loading-nic-drivers-in-hyper-v-core.html.

After fiddling with devcon I could get my Intel NIC working and the server could get to the network and the internet, however there still seemed to be domain conflicts. I simply renamed the computer, added the new computer name to the AD (would give login failures otherwise), and then named the computer back to what it started off with.

Everything seems to be going well enough now...crisis averted. I still have absolutely no idea what set all this off tho, guess I just won't unplug this machine ever again.

Core can be a nightmare to trouble shoot at times. Well done getting it sorted.

Back