Hyper-V Legacy Network

Vashypooh

2[H]4U
Anyone ever experienced an issue with Hyper-V trying to load in with a legacy network adapter? The VM will not launch and gives nothing really useful for an error, just says it wont start.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS" Guid="{6066F867-7CA1-4418-85FD-36E3F9C0600C}" />
<EventID>14070</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-03-13T22:09:12.007812500Z" />
<EventRecordID>186</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="3156" ThreadID="4196" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin</Channel>
<Computer>7Cav-Montalban</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <UserData>
- <VmlEventLog xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Virtualization/Events">
<Parameter0>Server 2003</Parameter0>
<Parameter1>29B1C134-0602-4EFA-8299-B02CA16185E5</Parameter1>
</VmlEventLog>
</UserData>
</Event>

yea, if I remove the legacy network card it immediately boots. It should still be associated with an existing network.

Are any other virtual machines communicating through the same virtual network? They running fine?

If you add a synthetic ethernet port (a normal adapter, nonlegacy) with the same network, does it also refuse to boot?

Are any other virtual machines communicating through the same virtual network? They running fine?

If you add a synthetic ethernet port (a normal adapter, nonlegacy) with the same network, does it also refuse to boot?

No, this is a fresh install this is the first VM. Normal adapter it will boot but need legacy drivers to get internet access to bring in the integration tools

That is wierd. I've never encountered this before, but then again I've never needed to use a legacy ethernet port. Be interesting to see if other VMs have issues with the network.

One thing to note is that the integration tools are delivered by an ISO via the ATA CDROM adapter, so you should be able to get them on there without the network connection.

Tools require server 2k3 to have sp2 installed. Compiling tools for unix requires installing dev tools from repo.

Tools require server 2k3 to have sp2 installed.

You don't have SP2 integrated...? If not, still can be made available to the guest as an ISO.

Compiling tools for unix requires installing dev tools from repo.

So it's a *NIX guest? I don't think whatever OS it's running changes anything re it not booting as Hyper-V should have no awareness of the guest OS at that stage.

Could you build another VM with a normal (synthetic) ethernet adapter and see what happens? I'm curious to see if something isn't wrong with the virtual network itself. Perhaps even configure it to be an internal only network to ensure the NIC that the network is bound to is functioning correctly and not causing some strangeness.

Ill test those out, the machine has been having some crashing issues we are trying to figure out first.

*nix cannot have internet access until the tools are compiled into the kernel and to get the internet you need legacy

Back