i cant get my cd burner to work and im confused

wayne

2[H]4U
i have a cd writer... i bought it like last year and it has been working but recently, with a lotta work from school, i find no time and nothing to burn cds for... so i havnt used it for a while

today wheni want to use it, it simply doesnt work... i used nero to try to make a copy of a cd just for testing purposes and it goes thru the process and in the end, it displays a message saying burn process completed successfully... then i try to read it again from its drive, doesnt work... and then i take out the cd and put it in my dvd drive and it doesnt work either

and now im trying to double click the cd drive icons and it says the following
D:\ is not accessible.
Incorrect function.

whats up with this??
help please!! im trying to back up my comp and i need the cd writer to do so

thanks

If you ran Nero on test, then it would go through the entire process without actually writing anything to the CD, even giving the message that it was completed. Are you absolutely certain Nero is not set for test mode? One think you can check is if the burn-light comes on as you burn it. Also, instead of copying a CD (I'm assuming audio? don't forget some disks have protection), do something simpler, like writing a few folders from the drive to the CD. If this still happens, there are quite a few possibilities as to why this is happening, but see if you can rule this out first.

i ran it again.. not on a test

this time, instead of copying a cd, i chose compile a cd... and i tried to write a file from my computer... so it goes thru the process like it seems normal... i noticed that the led indicator light on the burner does not show that its burning (remained green the whole time)... and also the "Used read buffer" on one of the progress bars does not change from 100%

after burning, i put the cd back into the dvd drive and i click on the icon and its as if the cd wasnt in there and it would say "Please insert a disk into drive E:."

i cannot view what i have burned... how can i fix this?

interesting enough tho (to prove this drive does burn) i used it as a cd-rw the other day to back up a harddrive i hooked up to this comp... i used it by opening the cddrive icon to view the empty cd-rw disk and then dragged the files i wanted and on the left side, i clicked an icon that writes the files to the disk and i guess that means it can write to cd's

You lost me a bit on the last post but here goes.

1. Connect the drive up to another computer and install Nero and see if you can burn a CD.
2. Take that CD and see if you can read it via My Computer, if it reads, you need to uninstall and reinstall Nero on your computer. If not, the drive is bad.

Now if it writes to CDRW, that doesn't mean the drive is good. Writing to CDRW uses a different wavelength and power level for the laser than it does to CDR. I've seen several and even had an old HP CDRW drive that could write to CDRW discs ok but would not physically write to CDR disks at all.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a new CDRW drive ultimately.

oooh, i get it... so your saying that these cd drives can everyonce in a while, lose one or both of their two features which is writing to cd-r's and cd-rw's... interesting, i learn stuff everyday... thanks ;)

what if i use the same system but i plug in another harddrive to install nero on?... i have another harddrive plugged in that i swap back and forth with the original drive

wayne said:
i have a cd writer... i bought it like last year and it has been working but recently, with a lotta work from school, i find no time and nothing to burn cds for... so i havnt used it for a while

today wheni want to use it, it simply doesnt work... i used nero to try to make a copy of a cd just for testing purposes and it goes thru the process and in the end, it displays a message saying burn process completed successfully... then i try to read it again from its drive, doesnt work... and then i take out the cd and put it in my dvd drive and it doesnt work either

and now im trying to double click the cd drive icons and it says the following
D:\ is not accessible.
Incorrect function.

whats up with this??
help please!! im trying to back up my comp and i need the cd writer to do so

thanks

sounds like a runtime error... how old is the burner?

starhawk said:
sounds like a runtime error... how old is the burner?
about an year or two... i dont use it that much tho...

edit- and whats a runtime error?

not gonna be a runtime error.

on the really, really old cd burners, if you happened to be running another prog at the same time you were burning a cd, then sometimes it'd lag a little and overwrite some of the data, burning a coaster. at least, that's my understanding.

Back