I can't overclock at all...

d34dly

2[H]4U
My specs are in my sig...

When I first started to overclock I was reaching 3.4 stable. But I knocked it down to 3.2 just to be sure.

Now after having my system almost a year I can't overclock at all. If I push my system even a little it won't POST.

I am using a Gigabyte 3D Cooler on the CPU, a Vantec copper ice berg on the NB, and I even bought some new PC4000 to see if my RAM was holding me back. I still have the pc3200, and it doesn't help any at all. My temps aren't high either.

Any ideas?

did you have it overclocked that much the entire time? also do you know what temps you were gettign on it?

I never touched the CPU voltage. I bumped the mem voltage to 2.75 but that's it.

My temps never reached above 45C. NEVER!

I watch the onboard temps, and the temps off my musketeer temp probe. Both read correctly.

You're saying you put the old ram back in and still nothing? Not clear on that. Just curious since the ram was the only thing you changed, and now you can't get back to where you were. Did something happen to the ram slot do you suppose? Worth a shot. And I'm guessing that you've already moved the ram around in every configuration possible to test that out.

GL

I couldn't overclock with my original RAM. So I bought new RAM and that didn't help. So I don't think it is the RAM.

maybe something went wrong with your processor. do you have any others to see if you can overclock a little on?

I know pc4000 likes 2.8volts to be rock solid but it should run at 2.75 without problems,so your correct there. I dont feel its your ram either. Wheres your vcore voltage? sounds like the processor being a little older might want some more juice....[H]ell even young processors like more juice... Can you lock your agp bus 33/66mhz, make sure your ram timings are right or even try opening them up a bit, tight ram timings will choke a overclock anyday...

Have you benn stress testing with Prime95 or somthing like that during each step in the overclock? Are you overclocking from bios or from eithin Windows? Don't overclock from bios becuase all kinds of corruption can happen.

Relo@d said:
I know pc4000 likes 2.8volts to be rock solid but it should run at 2.75 without problems,so your correct there. I dont feel its your ram either. Wheres your vcore voltage? sounds like the processor being a little older might want some more juice....[H]ell even young processors like more juice... Can you lock your agp bus 33/66mhz, make sure your ram timings are right or even try opening them up a bit, tight ram timings will choke a overclock anyday...

RAM volts are at 2.75v. AGP is locked.

I have been hesitant to touch the CPU volts for fear of frying it.

I have loosened the RAM timings.

I can barely pull 3.0ghz

Do agree with that gentleman about PC4000 I run the same myself, the Geil in my case. It does indeed like 2.8v but works well for me @ your setting also when I clock a little lower. I also share your view about increasing vcore for the proceesor. Though I can reach 4000mhz easily, I gotta push my vcore far beyond a 10 or 15% increase to do so, for what? I can get a nice clock @default vcore and enjoy the thing for awhile. So I'm with you there. Since: how is it a good overclock if it breaks?

That would leave your new video card, 6800GT. You couldn't have had that last year when you were "successfully" overclocking.
The video card experts can jump in here , and I hope they do, but I understand that thing requires alot of juice. Possible that it's sucking away what it needs from your Proc. That is possible! Lots of componets now are pulling off that 12v line....and we are all learning this together, but have a look at this

http://takaman.jp/D/index.html?english

That link is thanks to the gentleman over in the power supply forum where the rest of us got it. There's something to these new power requirements. Maybe it's worth looking at. If you have not touched your vcore, and you've fine cooling as you do....then?

Wow nice post.

So you think it's alright to bump my vCORE? I don't wanna burn anything up.

Whatever a; "rule of thumb" is ( because it's usually someone else's thumb) ; a 10% increase with the careful cooling you have should be fine. 15% if you're doing ok. Remember that heat can't hurt the P4, they'll run for years in horrible conditions! But vcore increases can and DO kill them. ;)

" Don't overclock from bios becuase all kinds of corruption can happen."-funbun

yeah if your agp and pci are whacked out and not locked
wth? i have never heard in my life someone saying not to OC in the bios...
lol, maybe i have been doing it wrong these past 3 years but all the oc'ing i do is from the bios(except video card)
if i have been doing it wrong for all this time, maybe my computer has been VERY forgiving, and i still use fat32(so fragmentation and corruption would, in theory, be much worse) but PLEASE correct me if i am wrong, if i am, i will (in a most humble manner) retract this statement and apologise only to learn from your great vision

guilTy said:
" Don't overclock from bios becuase all kinds of corruption can happen."-funbun

yeah if your agp and pci are whacked out and not locked
wth? i have never heard in my life someone saying not to OC in the bios...
lol, maybe i have been doing it wrong these past 3 years but all the oc'ing i do is from the bios(except video card)
if i have been doing it wrong for all this time, maybe my computer has been VERY forgiving, and i still use fat32(so fragmentation would, in theory, be much worse) but PLEASE correct me if i am wrong, if i am, i will (in a most humble manner) retract this statement and apologise only to learn from your great vision

Thank you for saying what I wanted too! Bios is the only way to fly! :p Windows overclocking is, "overclocking on training wheels!" Don't mean to be insulting, it's just the truth!

lol, sry papa i JUST beat you to it, as in a matter of minutes, IF THAT....

you know the saying,, "great minds think alike"

Aw, I didn't want to rip the guy when I read that, but you my son are a man of courage!

if your unsure about the vcore, just don't go above 1.625 and you shouldn't s have any issues, but do keep a eye on the temp when under load... I'd open up the ram times a bit to start and then work on tweaking them in, just to see if things are going to work.

I was wondering about the "don't overclock from bios" :confused:
But, I have used eaytuner from gigabyte and it does work well, but you've got alot more control from bios. ;)

Back