I don't think any one can help...but just in case.

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
I was using Smoothwall with an old Linksys router. My Linksys Router died last night so I purchased a new Netgear 8 port switch to replace it. For the life of me I can not get my computers to recognize the network. I have connectivity lights on the switch but my PC's show no network and can not browse the network or get out onto the internet. Since I am using Smoothwall to hand out the IP's I thought it would be as easy as using a switch now to connect my home network.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have disabled DHCP in smoothwall and had your linksys router do those chores.

I'm not at home right now but I'm pretty sure I do have DHCP enabled in Smoothwall. This has been a real pain. I wonder if the switch is bad.

Always start from layer 1 and work yourself up.

1. You've got link lights... that's a good start. (No? check physical connections)
2. Set a static IP/subnet mask without a gateway, see if you can ping each other or at least see ARP table entries. (No? Check IP/mask.. check switch to make sure they're in the same vlan)
3. Add the gateway, see if you can ping it. (No? Check gateway.. maybe it blocks pings. There should still be an ARP entry though)
4. Ping a well known internet host (like 4.2.2.2) (No? Make sure gateway is getting an external address)
5. Do an nslookup on google.com or something (No? Check host and gateway DNS configuration)
6. Try other web applications (No? Check proxy settings)

In a nutshell, a VLAN is a way for a switch to virtually "connect" ports to each other. This allows broadcasts to be sent from a host and received on multiple ports. When you have multiple VLANs, you need a router to have traffic pass between them, or a switch capable of VLAN routing. By default, every switch that I know of will put all ports in a single VLAN. If the switch doesn't support VLANs, then everything will always remain in the same VLAN as well. I would assume that your netgear switch wouldn't support VLANs, so you can probably disregard this check.

Are you stuck at step 2?

Back