I don't understand reviews sometimes: Razer Piranha

Citizen86

Supreme [H]ardness
Over at TechPowerUp!, they just reviewed the Razer Piranha gaming headset. Now, I'm no expert in headsets, I just bought my Koss Sb-45's and love them, and they were only $30. Now this headset from Razer is $80, the reviewer says they are uncomfortable for extended periods of time, are crap for music, only have adequate sound, directional isn't the greatest... etc etc etc. Not all too many great things to say about it, but then proceeds to give it an 8/10, lists all these lame things that are good about it (Volume control, etc etc), and gives it a "recommended". WTF?!?!?!

I really wish [H] would get into some of these types of reviews, maybe hire Spaceman, because I just gave a quick read to this review and was expecting maybe a 6/10 just from what he was saying. *sigh*

Koss made the first(i think) commercially available stereo headphones. People think they suck ( and some models do) but they got it right with that headset. I regret that I tipped some of my teamates off to them b/c I can't sneak up on any of them now lol.

Razer sucks. They are pretty much the Bose of Gaming. All marketing and no meat for their audio. Mice are ok but come on guys pretty weak efforts in the sound dept.

All in the marketing an nothing in quality, just like a car with 5K$ mods on the body and 0$ on the engine :rolleyes:

It may be possible that some of these sites are getting these samples for free. They may not want to paint the product in a negative light (and therefore negate any future chance of getting anymore free samples). Not saying TechPowerUp! does it, but just in general.

It's costly to do audio component reviews the right way. To review headsets/headphones correctly, you'd need, at the very least, a Neumann KU100 or similar and a decent audio analyzer (and the right mentality and experience for the subjective portion).

I'm not sure Kyle is really interested in this area anyway...or maybe he is and has yet to find just the 'right' man for the job. Wouldn't be bad idea to express some interest however.

I'm the furthest thing from an audio expert...

I own the piranha's. I think they are pretty good. I would say they are worth $80.00. I do use them every day now. Best HEADSET sound quality wise I have owned. (Couple pair of Koss)

Music sounds ok. Games sound good. Mic is crystal clear according to people on vent and BF2142.

Not sure what the review means with the directional. They work super in that regard. I use them with BF2142 daily, and never miss a beat.

My biggest issue with headsets has always been the sound quality in the headphones. IMO Razer has did a decent enough job sound quality wise. I did need to use the EQ a bit. (I use the EQ on everything) But I got them sounding pretty damn good.

I have my HD555's ready to go, when I want to listen to some tunes. But I am primarily using my Razer's I would say 90% of the time now.

They are very comfortable. I have forgotten a couple times that I had them on. I like them.

I do own the mouse, keyboard and headset. (Christmas gifts) I am extremely happy with them all. No complaints. But I do agree...they are a bit over priced. I personally would have never purchased a product of Razer's, IF I didn't receive them for Christmas. But I would try out their new products now that I have owned them for a couple months.

I have given up on most review sites. They have me scratching my head most times. I just try/buy usually now.

No. Just out of pure convenience I find myself using the Razer's more.

Whew! Ok good then you are not tone deaf. Get a mic for the 555s and ebay those razers.

Better yet. Ebay the Razer and try the Koss SB45 for a 1/3 of the price.

Whew! Ok good then you are not tone deaf. Get a mic for the 555s and ebay those razers.

Better yet. Ebay the Razer and try the Koss SB45 for a 1/3 of the price.

lol, preacher. :p

Anyways, I know I used this one review as an example, but strid3r was getting where I was going with this post. I don't understand how I can read through a review, have him say "it's uncomfortable for any extended period of time"... they're freakin headphones!! You almost ALWAYS use them for extended periods of time. I find this very important. I don't care if it's actually crystal that is coming through the headphones if I'm going to have a headache in an hour.

My point is that more and more often reviewers are just handing out awards for such mediocre items, it's getting pretty ridiculous. I understand that they get things for free, but come on, if you have only 50% of your review saying good things about it and the other half complaining about it, then STILL give an 8/10, how am I supposed to trust ANYTHING you said?

This is why I come to the [H], they'll say it like it is. Case in point: the 2900XT sucked. Only [H] and a very few other sites said so. They got absolutely flamed for it. But who turned out right? I don't want to be duped to give my money out for a mediocre product. MAKE YOUR CONCLUSIONS MATCH WITH THE REST OF YOUR REVIEWS PLEASE!

Back