I dont want to use itunes... any other options?

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
I dont wanna use it to transfer music to teh ipod, what can I use? Any alternatives?

You're stuck with using iTunes in OS X I think. You could try manually copying music into the iPod's hidden folders but I dunno if that works.

Torquemada XP said:
Urrrr, I be dumb, please disregard post. :)

The monthly quota for asshats has already been fullfilled, sorry, your the runner up though.

Seriously though, I dont want to use the bloated itunes crap, is there ANY other option?

Tengis said:
The monthly quota for asshats has already been fullfilled, sorry, your the runner up though.

Seriously though, I dont want to use the bloated itunes crap, is there ANY other option?
Buy an iRiver or Rio or Creative MP3 player? If the software is so bloated, don't use it for more than transfering music.

I think there was an open-source piece of software for Linux to work with the iPod if you really want another option.

Since this is the apple forum I'm guessing you're running OS X but you haven't confirmed this, nor have you told us your specific version and some 3rd party software can run on some versions and not others so we wouldn't even be able to help you out anyway.

Windows XP... I dont like apple in the slightest actually, just figured this was the appropriate place. And for the record, my ipod was free, yay. I wouldve bought an iriver myself.

BIZZAM there ya go... straight from the donkey's mouth

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2286

Windows Software Compendium
Originally posted by Kurt (c.c.r.) from the old Forums:

I wanted to try and collect all the info about the various iPod apps in one spot.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please do. However, please only post replies that add to the information here or add new programs. Also try to stick to the format. Let's keep discussion of the pros and cons of these programs in other threads and keep this one just for the compilation and cataloging of programs.

Quite a few for syncing and tons of other crap...

Guess ya should have posted this in the Mobile Computing forum... This place is a lil hostile durring certain times of the month

Tengis said:

Sorry, I wasn't denigrating you. I'd posted a link to EphPod, but then edited it because it's for Windows. I figured you wanted something for Mac.

Tengis said:
my ipod was free
Gimme one?
Tengis said:
I wouldve bought an iriver myself.
Really? I've done research on them and half of their players only play 96, 128, and 192kbps audio correctly and the others it distorts. They've also had bad shipments on some of their players.

I think the iPod is nice but have a Rio Karma myself.

ephpod is what i used untill itunes came out for windows... there is also a plugin for winamp to work with an ipod.... why you would not want to use itunes it beyond me but its your life :)

Torquemada XP said:
Sorry, I wasn't denigrating you. I'd posted a link to EphPod, but then edited it because it's for Windows. I figured you wanted something for Mac.

Cool, no worries.

Ya, Im running teh Windows l33t edition.

Whats so "bloated" about iTunes? It does everything it needs to do.... :rolleyes:

Perhaps its a Windows thing... You just wouldn't understand. We like choice in our software... and hardware.

sieb said:
Whats so "bloated" about iTunes? It does everything it needs to do.... :rolleyes:

Well the problem most people has is it uses 20+MB while in operation. Which is more than explorer. Which is a bad thing.

There is a plug-in to winamp to transfer files to it. If you use winamp you might want to look that up.

I use iTunes and it works just fine, but the GUI is lacking in speed. I run it on both a 4000+ with 2 GB of RAM and a 7800 GTX card AND on a dual 2.0 Power Mac G5 with 4 GB of RAM and an X850XT, and the interface's responsiveness is just slow. Of course, dragging a window on ANY Mac is a point of frustration to me (if they'd only give you a Windows-like option of hiding window contents as you resize), but ya know.

I wish I could use Windows Media Player. All my music is organized so nicely in WMP. I can't stand itunes :(

iTunes will only mess up your music organization if your ID3 tags are messed up.. Granted I spent a few days redoing my tags, now everything is managed for me, its great. I use both windows and mac (and linux servers), I prefer iTunes on both windows and mac. If your gripping over 20 megs of ram, get more ram, its cheap.. Don't bash a great app over a few megs of ram..

Whats with the 20megs of Ram thing?

I love iTunes, could not imangine using anything else.

Now iPhoto is a different story, would be nice if I could put Picasa on the mac, and walk away from iPhoto.

sieb said:
iTunes will only mess up your music organization if your ID3 tags are messed up.. Granted I spent a few days redoing my tags, now everything is managed for me, its great. I use both windows and mac (and linux servers), I prefer iTunes on both windows and mac. If your gripping over 20 megs of ram, get more ram, its cheap.. Don't bash a great app over a few megs of ram..
so I can import all my playlists? and is the itunes library organized automatically by artist/album ect? Cause right now I just have a library with every song in it. There is no sub categories in the library for artist/album.

ChingChang said:
so I can import all my playlists? and is the itunes library organized automatically by artist/album ect? Cause right now I just have a library with every song in it. There is no sub categories in the library for artist/album.

Import playlists? Not from WMP. iTunes builds its own database based on the ID3 tags of the songs. Then you create Smartlists if you want certain collections of songs. Otherwise since its databased, you can skim through your collection based on artist, genre, or album (click the Browse button). Any new songs you add, it will import them and keep it all organized automatically (if you let it). I have 27+gigs of music it has organized on my network server by Artist/band, and I don't have to worry about organizing it at all.

Now iPhoto is a different story, would be nice if I could put Picasa on the mac, and walk away from iPhoto.

Oh man.. that would be so sweet.. I can't stand iPhoto compared to Picasa...

I'll have to check out that smartlist thing. I just hate having to switch over to iTunes

^^^ You dont *have* to do anything. And you better spend the time going through your MP3's ID tags unless you want your Liberachi mixed with your Billy Joel

Assuming playlists from iTunes are exported to iPod, then yes, I would have to switch to iTunes. My playlist is huge. I get a new CD, and add the entire CD to my "everything" playlist, which is always playing and shuffling. So if I hear a song I don't like on that new CD, I remove it from the playlist after hearing it. I don't like doing the same thing over again.

But I think I might just get one of those stations that you can plug speakers into, and organize the playlist on my iPod instead of on my computer. My dad connected some big TV surround sound speakers to it, and it sounds very nice.

edit: syncstation I think it's called

Assuming playlists from iTunes are exported to iPod, then yes, I would have to switch to iTunes.
I'm sure EphPod or whatever can manage iPod playlists, so that's probably not an issue, anyway... iTunes doesn't transfer playlists to the iPod, as far as I know, but you can create new ones on the iPod, both smart and regular ones. You can also create playlists on the iPod, without the use of a computer. Just click and hold the middle button while a song, album, artist, genre, etc, is selected, and the song, or the songs in that album etc, will be added to an on-the-go playlist. It's really quite convinient. Doing what you want wouldn't be too hard on an iPod with or without iTunes etc. Just play the entire library on random, and add all the songs you do not wish to hear to an on-the-go playlist and remove all those songs entirely from the iPod once you get to a computer. That's a fairly convinient way of doing it.

Now if only they'd add party shuffle to the iPod...

Well, I'm using foobar right now. Tho it's soooo neat when it's setup...well...it's never really setup as I'm always tweaking it here and there. Thank goodness for this nice gui uplift courtesty of columns ui and gifted editing folk (read: definitely not me!).

The foo_pod plugin works great, but I'm thinkin' about tryin' winamp again. Any happy Ipod shuffler's out there on winamp?

Here's a pic of my foobar/foo_pod...

foo_pod.jpg

Back