I FINALLY broke the limit

Rocketpig

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally reached the limit of PS7...

A 2GB image... It won't let me do anything to it now... It's frozen.

*I feel so proud*

You may not be interested, but for a long time I've wondered what the file size limit is on PS... It's 2 gigs.

Well if one considers the fact that every layer is at least 32bpp
(probably closer to 48 or 64 due to additional pixel info) we can
easily calculate the following rough estimate:

3200px x 2400px x 48bpp x 50 layers = approx. 2.1GB :p

So it is no challenge with A4/A3 600dpi images and even just a
dozen or so layers! Not to mention A0 @ 1200dpi! ;)

No, I still haven't updated to PS CS yet.

BTW, the image is a poster that's 36 x 48 at 300ppi with 40+ layers...

It takes five minutes just to save the damned file.

I did that once. I set an image from 72 ppi to 2500... just to see.

Remember, this is on the p4 1.5, not the 2.4. In any event, about 2 hours later, and much THIS ISNT RESPONDING, i had an image that was, well, quite large. Now, talk about waiting, printing that thing was a bitch.

Now, i know there was probably no difference between 400-2500, but i still wanted to see how it looked on my printer :p

Oh, it was about well, quite large... may have been p/cm but i unno :p

for an image this large would another package such as illustrator be more effecient? im not suggesting, just curious.

In AI the raster file would be smaller, but AI doesn't deal with large raster images very well. It takes quite awhile to save them and manipulate them (even worse than PS).

If I really wanted to minimize the size, merging many of the layers or converting the file to a .tif would be the best options.

I'll end up doing both of these before I export it to the printer.

grats to u :), 2 gigz is a hella lot, u must have a good amount of patience to edit that image in bullet time ;).

And I used to be proud when I maxed out 1G of memory. (Acomplished with Jacs 7 with a 1200x1600 background I was making final was about 150mb compressed)

You need to optimize that and post it.

Con grats.

yeah i was bored in ps7 a while ago just messing around i don't actually know how to use it so i just enlarged a picture as much as i could until it froze.

Yeah, maybe its your hardware thats hte problem. Not enough ram, slow processor, slow hard drives.
Scsi helps a lot, when working with large images, because there is only so much ram that you can have. I regularly deal with 500 meg images(yes i realize thats not 2 gig file), but its nice to have scsi to speed things up. You appreciate it very fast. I do deal with multi-gig postscript/pdf files though, 40 pages of complex illustrator files to make a catalgoue, fun :)

I belive this is not a hardware problem. I understand that u are using Windows, sometime ago I have heard that Window's can support only 2 Gb of memory. I might be wrong though, just thougt it worth mentioning

nope. well maybe some old version of windows, but no one in their right mind would run windows 95 to do photoediting

All of the NT kernel OSes (save WinXP64) max out at 4GB of RAM, all of the 9x kernel OSes max out at 512MB.

Try scanning in a Magazine cover @ 9600 PPI, it comes out over 10 GB, Last time i tried I couldn't save it onto the comp with the scanner (HP psc 2210 All-in-one), only because the comp with the scanner has a tiny 14GB Harddrive :)

Erm.. I beleive FAT32 has 2gb file size limits.
NTFS isnt limited at 2gb. Not sure on ext3 and such.

I did some work with images on a G5 at school that were well over 2 GB.

MMMM, 23 in. Cinema Display.

I'm going to break in and steal the two of them one day.

made a mural for my company, 3 meters by 1 meter at 150dpi... file was like 600Mb at one point, poor 3GHz P4 with 1Gb RAM slowed to a craaaaaaawl... But the end result? Priceless! Too bad I don;t have a pic of it with me now....

Back