I Fixed My 2405 Cursor Lag!

sativa

Limp Gawd
Okay so here's the story:

I am running a dual display setup with a 17" ViewSonic as my primary (1280x1024) and my Dell 2405 as secondary (1920x1200). I have an Athlon 3200+ and a 6800NU @ 16pipes. Driver version: XtremeG 77.77

I installed the monitor and had NO problems w/ mouse lag for a long time. But one night I performed some drunken tweaking of my system and the next day I had the mysterious cursor lag on my 2405 but not my 17" LCD sitting right next to it. So after several hours of "WTF" , I gave up. I've had the lag on the monitor now for about a month. Today I finally got fed up and attempted to fix the problem. I went through every freaking setting there is in the Nvidia drivers with no luck. Went through every mouse setting there is with no luck. I uninstalled / reinstalled various mouse drivers and video drivers with no luck. Well I finally hit paydirt!

When right clicking my desktop I have an option called "NVKeystone"...

I right-clicked it on my primary display (the ViewSonic) and hit "Activate"

Well it lagged the crap outta my ViewSonic. I went to change a song in Winamp (which was running on my 2405) and I noticed that my cursor lag was gone! So I went back to the ViewSonic and hit "Adjust..".. I selected "Reset - Clears All Settings" and then hit "OK."

Well this solution sucked because now my ViewSonic was ridiculously lagged. So I de-activated NVKeystone by right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Activate" again.. Well it instantly cleared the lag on my ViewSonic and the lag on my 2405 was STILL gone!!

I have no idea why this worked, and i have no idea if it will work for you. Give it a shot and let us know how it works.

come on guys i know this is a huge problem among 2405 owners.. no replies?

i know many people who would love to fix their cursor lag problem.

I fixed my cursor lag by upping the refresh rate from 60Hz to 100Hz.
It feels faster and responsive

lil^mac said:

How the hell did you set the refresh rate to 100?

lil^mac said:

Don't know how you did it but you might damage your monitor. The 2405 is designed to run at 60Hz with the native resolution.

well he's not doing it via dvi... a single DVI port on consumer graphics cards barely has enough bandwidth to run 1920x1200x60 Hz..

BTW when i restarted the lag was back.. but i did the 'fix' again and it went back to no lag... I'm trying to figure out how to make it permanent.

Are the only people having issues with cursor lag using NVidia graphics cards?

It seems that way from the limited posts I've read where people actually stated their specs.

spotpuff said:
Are the only people having issues with cursor lag using NVidia graphics cards?

It seems that way from the limited posts I've read where people actually stated their specs.

seems like it.. although some people have claimed to have it with xboxes via composite video... but that is probably due to something else.

sorry havent been on here for a while.

As for the option, I am using an ATi Radeon 9600XT, go into display properties, and into the "Monitor" tab and under "Screen Refresh Rate" select 100Hz.

For those who are concerned about screwing up the monitor at this setting, I dont give a dam. Why? Because I am getting a replacement, hehehe. So far its been 1 week or more at 100Hz and so far no signs of damage as far as i know.

Give it a try, what have you got to lose?
=)

I have nvidia, no lag here. i really don't know what ppl get so worked up about, it's a prolly just a defect in some particular LCDs, just get a replacement :rolleyes: As for refresh rate, yeah, 2405 won't handle more than 60hz at full res, only if you reduce res to less than 1920x1200. Oh, and even if you try to override and set refresh to100hz, 2405 will either go into suspend saying "i can't support this refresh"; or it's won't do jack, check through the monitor setup button, that's where the true refresh is shown, and it will never be more than 60hz. :D

How about you try disabling some of the pipes you unlocked?

And why the hell do you have the Dell as a secondary? :p

wow people are stupid.

the pipes were unlocked FIRST. i explained that the lag only appeared after some software tweaking... so its OBVIOUSLY not a hardware defect. :rolleyes:

dell is a secondary because i use it to watch tv while me and my fiance are in bed.. so if i want to switch it from TV -> computer to watch some saved videos, or if i need to do work while she is watching tv, its much easier.

sativa said:
wow people are stupid.

the pipes were unlocked FIRST. i explained that the lag only appeared after some software tweaking... so its OBVIOUSLY not a hardware defect. :rolleyes:

Well, most ppl have monitor lag out of the box, so don't generalize from your case. Is it really necessary to be so offensive, anyways? :mad:

Ok seriously, I dont' have this 'Lag" effect that everyone keeps throwing a fit about, either that or Im failing to see exactly whats "lagging"

sativa said:
wow people are stupid.

dell is a secondary because i use it to watch tv while me and my fiance are in bed.. so if i want to switch it from TV -> computer to watch some saved videos, or if i need to do work while she is watching tv, its much easier.

Well maybe your 'software' tweaking is interfering with the fact of unlocked pipes.

Or you could y'know, use system restore. :roll:

Nuzzles said:
Well maybe your 'software' tweaking is interfering with the fact of unlocked pipes.

Or you could y'know, use system restore. :roll:

i have system restore turned off. uses too many resources :p

Sorry for posting my fix to the cursor lag problem (there have been 3 threads that are >2 pages on the issue).. didn't realize it would get all the geek's panties in a bunch.

Back