I give up...

RadCliffeX

2[H]4U
I've been trying to fix my machine for about 6 days now...with no avail. The first problems started with Civilization IV, the machine just froze. So I rebooted it, but it wouldn't boot. So I swapped the memory around, turns out it wouldn't let me boot into windows in Dual channel mode (first had me thinking my memory went bad). I swapped out the memory, the problem still occurred. I put my memory back in and ran memtest86 for 24hrs in dual channel - 0 errors. After that it let me boot into windows in dual channel mode (wtf?). So i ran Prime95 on the cpu to see if that was the problem (nope - zero errors).

So I started to think it was the video card. I tried running 3dmark to stress test the video card, and it crashed before even starting. Swapped out the video card, and it still crashes! Tried the onboard and it still crashes.

I don't have any money to purchase any new parts for this machine (no job = no money).

System specs:
Foxconn Matx 6150K8MA mobo
AMD Athlon64 3700+
Sapphire ATI X1950Pro Pcie
GSkill PC4000 2Gig (2x1G sticks)
Maxtor 200Gig IDE HDD
Coolmax 400Watt Modular PSU
Aspire Qpack
Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

All hardware is at stock speed.

I'm going nuts, and I'm starting to have Civ withdrawals.

whats the cpu & system temps like?

not sure if that PSU is enough with that graphics card in that system. but none of these answers why the dual channel wont run tho

This setup has been running since November. The PSU has worked fine playing Civ IV, CSS, Oblivion, and many other games. So I don't see why it would all of a sudden just not be able to power the video card.

All my system temps are all normal, ~30C idel, low 40's load.

I was messing with it a few minutes ago, and I started watching a video, and it crashed again...AGAIN!

I can't afford a replacement motherboard or PSU right now. Heck I wouldnt even be able to afford to send it in for RMA.

if you have a second PSU, connect a bunch of stuff to that one.. for the other psu that may be screwing up, connect it to JUST the video card and mobo

see how it runs

does your psu have 30a on 12v? if i remember correctly x1950pro psu requires 30a
gl though

I'm going to have to speculate that it is a power supply problem, as well. It is actually pretty much like that when a PSU dies; it starts acting flaky and then one day just keels over completely. Can you RMA your power supply? That might be the best option if you are broke, though you will still probably have to pay shipping. It's possible if you explain your issue, though, they might ship you one for free. You won't know until you ask.

hmm, that powersupply is way out of warranty. and the only replacement i have is the original Qpack PSU (that suprisingly still works). guess ill swap em out and test it to see if that is the problem. I'll report back if it fixes it or not.

Ok i replaced the PSU. Now i cant boot while in dual channel mode, and it still wont load games....

Damnit, I really dont wanna fuck with Foxconns RMA service, having dealt with leadteks RMA service which was a total nightmare. I ended up buying a new video card after two months of waiting for a replacement.

My computer acted almost the same as yours, built it a year ago and it kept having problems and random crashes. First I though it was the memory so I tried different slots and eventually bought new ram. Problems popped up again so I tried a new power supply, then video card problems popped up so I replaced that. Around a month ago I started getting very frequent crashes and a ticking noise at start up so I though HDD failure and got a new drive. Right when I went to switch drives the computer just stopped booting and gave me a faulty CPU error so I picked up a new processor and when that fixed nothing I RMAed the motherboard. I basically have changed everything in the system which sucks but on monday when the motherboard gets back I will hopefully be up and running again...

30amp??? a 8800gtx only needs 26a

that powersupply works fine for the X1950, its worked fine since november. So i really dont see how it wouldnt be able to power it now after running rock solid for 3 months. It has a dedicated PCIe power cable. So I would assume it can power a single video card, a cpu, and a hard drive.

Have you done any over clocking to your board, card, ram at all? I know in the past when ive messed with stuff like that and my pc went crazy i had to reset the cmos. i know it maybe dumb but could give it a shot.

YOu should manually set your voltages in the mobo, sometimes ram needs 2.8v to work properly, and the default 2.6v is not enough. especially if it undervolts with a shitty PSU. (not saying yours is)

And yes its possible for a PSU to lose power and die over time, just like anything else. It could also be a driver issue or grounding issue, though i doubt its a grounding issue.

I would try reinstaling windows to see if that helps. thats always a poss.

if you have a second PSU, connect a bunch of stuff to that one.. for the other psu that may be screwing up, connect it to JUST the video card and mobo

see how it runs

NEVER EVER DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the PSU isn't connected to the same motherboard the component is connected to, it's not grounded properly. YOU WILL FRY THAT COMPONENT. Especially videocards. HDDs and Drives may be okay but not cards that actually plug into a slot.

I noticed you are using win xp 64 version, have you tried updating all your drivers?
everything is pointing to one of your drivers being corrupted, so before you spend any more money, do this:
Download all new drivers, chipset, video, the whole nine yards. Upgrade your motherboard to the lastest bios.(read the instructions and make sure you understand them before doing so)
Do a clean windows install, install drivers, and your problems should be solved.
also make sure you have up to date virus protection software.
hope this helps

Back