I got MMS today!

vage

2[H]4U
I used the trick a while ago to get the functionality of MMS to work on my iPhone, but was never able to actually send or receive because the network around me still didn't support it. I had been trying every day since then to see if they enabled it early in my area, and today, 2 days ahead of schedule, I am able to send and receive MMS messages.

Last edited:
I used the trick a while ago to get the functionality of MMS to work on my iPhone, but was never able to actually send or receive because the network around me still didn't support it. I had been trying every day since then to see if they enabled it early in my area, and today, 2 days ahead of schedule, I am able to send and receive MMS messages.

Yeah, getting my first MMS was pretty exciting too when it happened 3 years ago

All this iPhone hate. Lol. It's one feature they screwed up on. Everything else is awesome! Soon the phone will be complete and I can name it Beezlebub. Lol

This is truly a watershed year for the mobile industry! Copy and paste AND MMS!

What will they think of next, a keyboard? We can only hope!

Last edited:
The iPhone blows every other phone out of the water MMS or not. Its getting that feature now so you c ant even say it doesn't have that now. iPhone is da best!

The iPhone blows every other phone out of the water MMS or not. Its getting that feature now so you c ant even say it doesn't have that now. iPhone is da best!

Nice try, but I own a Touch Pro 2. But by all means, don't let me rain on your parade. Enjoy your toy. Just don't confuse it with a smartphone.

A compelling argument. It would be difficult to present my rebuttal in such a educated and classy manner as you have. Well played sir.

I almost want to facepalm at this thread, but then I take a look at the Macrumors iPhone forum and this seems like profoundly intelligent dialogue comparatively.

Anyway, yah, I own an iPhone, and I'm excited to be able to send MMS messages back to my girlfriend on her free-with-contract AT&T phone, from which she's been sending me MMS messages (to my email) for over a year now. :p I never bothered to use a hacked IPCC though, and I have the family texting plan, so I probably could have gotten MMS a month or two ago if I were really inclined enough. Apparently I wasn't.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, if the iPhone isn't a smartphone, what more would it need to qualify?

Holy shit you guys are intense. Does it matter? If you don't like the iPhone, don't use it.

Maybe because most people with an iphone strut around like they are badass with a device that is equally matched if not inferior in many ways to many other devices that have been on the market for years already. The iphone is "look how cool I am" first, actually useful second. Like most apple products. :D I mean can anyone list what the iphone does that many other phones on the market can't do or havent been doing already for years? Other then access proprietary apple stuff? My old apache 6700 was easily a better device and its four years old.

EDIT: Okay I came off harsh, I think it's a decent device. It's just nowhere near as good as its portrayed and I'm tired of people trying to get me to tell them how cool they are.

OldPueblo, I'd have to disagree. I used to make fun of the iPhone when I worked for Sprint, focus on the MMS and cut and paste debacles, the landscape keyboard, etc etc. The thing is, when I left Sprint, I picked up a 3GS, and the phone works GREAT. My email is spot on, the browser is by far the best out there, the glass screen is wonderful, and it works. The problem is that AT&T can go screw, and I'll be leaving AT&T to go back to Sprint ASAP.

I'll definitely miss not having to use a case with the phone, I keep it in my pocket right now, and it's scratch free. Can't do that with a plastic screen.

OldPueblo, I'd have to disagree. I used to make fun of the iPhone when I worked for Sprint, focus on the MMS and cut and paste debacles, the landscape keyboard, etc etc. The thing is, when I left Sprint, I picked up a 3GS, and the phone works GREAT. My email is spot on, the browser is by far the best out there, the glass screen is wonderful, and it works. The problem is that AT&T can go screw, and I'll be leaving AT&T to go back to Sprint ASAP.

I'll definitely miss not having to use a case with the phone, I keep it in my pocket right now, and it's scratch free. Can't do that with a plastic screen.

My 6700 four years ago had flawless e-mail, browsing without issue, and a screen that years later works just as good as before. And it could do a lot more than the iphone as well as allow me to install custom ROMs. It's not about which device is better in every way, it's people that own iphones tout it as God's gift to mankind when the truth is it's just a decent device in a sea of decent devices.

The whole glass screen thing is so overhyped. On its own, glass is not a great engineering material. Sure it doesn't scratch readily, but it loves to crack. Try dropping your iphone about 5 feet and see what happens. My plastic screen phone wont have a problem.

The whole glass screen thing is so overhyped. On its own, glass is not a great engineering material. Sure it doesn't scratch readily, but it loves to crack. Try dropping your iphone about 5 feet and see what happens. My plastic screen phone wont have a problem.

Haha I've dropped every HTC phone I've owned several times from waist height and the screens keeps on going. :p But I apologize, I de-railed the thread a bit. Carry on all glory to MMS!

Ive dropped mine several times and its fine....

I've had MMS since 3.0. The iPhone is a great phone. There are other great phones as well, but I certainly like mine.

My 6700 four years ago had flawless e-mail, browsing without issue, and a screen that years later works just as good as before. And it could do a lot more than the iphone as well as allow me to install custom ROMs. It's not about which device is better in every way, it's people that own iphones tout it as God's gift to mankind when the truth is it's just a decent device in a sea of decent devices.

OK, and that's great that it worked for you. I had a Touch Pro, a Treo Pro (Palm engineering sample), a 6800, and 4 years worth of blackberries before I got my iPhone, and *for me*, this device works near perfectly. AT&T sucks, but regardless... I'll be swapping back to Sprint shortly for either the Hero or InstinctQ for some good old Android fun, but I'm really going to miss the build quality and materials of the iPhone.

Sorry, one thing... The LCD INSIDE your phone is still glass, so if it's going to crack, it's going to crack. The iPhone's outer screen being glass makes it SLIGHTLY more vulnerable, but trust me, it's not a huge difference. I've seen HTC/Blackberry/etc with plastic screens break their LCD (not the plastic cover obviously) when dropped 5 feet onto carpet, let alone concrete.

Sorry, one thing... The LCD INSIDE your phone is still glass, so if it's going to crack, it's going to crack. The iPhone's outer screen being glass makes it SLIGHTLY more vulnerable, but trust me, it's not a huge difference. I've seen HTC/Blackberry/etc with plastic screens break their LCD (not the plastic cover obviously) when dropped 5 feet onto carpet, let alone concrete.

The LCD is less than 1mm thick, with the glass substrate only a fraction of that. So a plastic layer on top of that can actually afford a good amount of protection. Plus, since LCDs are made using a clean process, its possible that the glass substrates are never weakened by oxidation. Thus, the LCD wouldn't exhibit the same brittleness as the iphones glass cover.

Pete, a ton of phones actually have exposed LCDs, the older Palm phones (755, Centro, ect) come to mind. As for the plastic layer on top, if you're dropping your phone and it either A: hits a weak spot (corner, side, etc), or B: hits directly on the screen, if it was hard enough to crack the LCD, a glass or plastic covering at that point doesn't matter.

Pete, a ton of phones actually have exposed LCDs, the older Palm phones (755, Centro, ect) come to mind. As for the plastic layer on top, if you're dropping your phone and it either A: hits a weak spot (corner, side, etc), or B: hits directly on the screen, if it was hard enough to crack the LCD, a glass or plastic covering at that point doesn't matter.

I appreciate what you are saying, but its not quite that simple. Apple used it because they thought it created a more high-quality "feel." That's fine. However, due to its inherent brittleness and propensity for cracking, its NOT a good structural material by itself. No way around it.

OK, and that's great that it worked for you. I had a Touch Pro, a Treo Pro (Palm engineering sample), a 6800, and 4 years worth of blackberries before I got my iPhone, and *for me*, this device works near perfectly. AT&T sucks, but regardless... I'll be swapping back to Sprint shortly for either the Hero or InstinctQ for some good old Android fun, but I'm really going to miss the build quality and materials of the iPhone.

Works perfectly except for all the things Apple doesn't want to let you do with it. :p

I can't say I care about MMS to be honest, if someone needs a photo from my phone, I usually just email it, then they have it in their inbox too

MMS was just officially released 20-30 minutes ago. Hop into iTunes, update your carrier file, then restart your iPhone. :)

Ive been using MMS for what? the past 4 years? maybe 5?
Its really shameful that it took ATT and Apple this long.

Ive been using MMS for what? the past 4 years? maybe 5?
Its really shameful that it took ATT and Apple this long.

i agree. it hasn't been much of an issue for me since i switched to an iPhone in july....i knew what i was getting myself into since AT&T had already announced that MMS would be available by "late summer".

Is it just my phone or can you guys only send MMS to AT&T customers and not Verizon. I can receive them fine from anyone but they faill to send to some of my friends.

I have been sending and receiving with people on various networks including verizon. Carrier 5.5

Back