I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Does the A05-FNA vent cover reveal a screen or do you need a add-on part for this opening. I didn't purchase this case during Newegg Lian Li's sale due to this.

Does the A05-FNA vent cover reveal a screen or do you need a add-on part for this opening. I didn't purchase this case during Newegg Lian Li's sale due to this.

Do you mean the top cover? Yes you need to buy that separately.

This is the only blowhole cover that is included:
a05fn-04.jpg

If you want to install a fan you have to buy a fan grill or leave it open. :(

Aah .. airrphoto's question makes more sense now. He was asking if there's a grill to put in place of the cover / plug ... and the answer is 'no' :(

All my components have arived and are now installed :D ... oh well not all I'm still waiting for a noctua NF-P12 to replace the stock corsair cooling fan and some noise dampening material for the front cover.

It takes some thinking when installing stuff in this case compared to my old P182 but even with the more limited alternatives for cable routing I think I did quite a good job :eek:
It might be worth to note that with graphics cards longer than 280mm you have to drill away the HDD Cage. Mine is 292mm so HDDs had to go somewhere else but that's alright I actually think it looks better with them in the top and I wouldn't want to push all the hot air from the graphics-card between them anyway.
MG_0334U-h720.png

MG_0335U-h720.png

This is the mounting-bracket for the front fan, never seen anything like it before. I wonder why they decided to change it from what's on the A05N
MG_0336U-h720.png

nice.. felt like changing to A05FN.. looks so nice.. may i know hows ur gc temp. with and without the fan beside?

Here's my A05N..
IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

nice.. felt like changing to A05FN.. looks so nice.. may i know hows ur gc temp. with and without the fan beside?

To be honest the side fan doesn't seem to make any difference in temps at all. At least not when run as an intake fan, my 470 usually lies around 40°C idle and goes up to 80°C+ during heavy load (read furmark) :eek: Then again that's mostly my own fault as I run all my fans on 7V to reduce noise :eek:

BTW love your heat-sink makes the A05 look so tiny ! :

i installed one upper fan like this,just to increase the flow at the case,i found these aluminum covers from my previous pc80 lian li,so i believe is good idea to use this section for fan..

i installed one upper fan like this,just to increase the flow at the case,i found these aluminum covers from my previous pc80 lian li,so i believe is good idea to use this section for fan..

Great thinking! I went ahead and did about the same thing but I don't own a PC80 to steal front cover mesh from so instead I cut of the original front cover bays and stuck them to the front using a soundproofing mat, it really helped to bring down my critical HDD temperatures. Idle went from about 50°C to a much more reasonably 25-30°C!... I think it's safe to say that there might be heat pocket up there :eek:

MG_0337U-w720-h720.png

this is my next step,or i will change case,the problems began when i installed the second 6970
i think the hardware that i used is too much for this little tiny thing,but believe me the case is awesome! for that size is very roomy..but when i play Battlefield 3,after 10 minutes gaming,the 2x6970 screaming like a hell..
anyway that case is not for xfire or sli,but with one card operation was fine,even with 5970 everything was alright..

Last edited:
@gbak -- you don't have a top blowhole, do you? If not, it's totally explainable why at least your upper 6970 (which is almost up against the "roof" of the case) is struggling. T-LM14B-2 might help ...

nop,i dont have,and yeap you are right,that is the problem.but now i have rampage ii extreme,and i use the last one pci,due to no space,so the second card,cannot breath its almost close,less than 1 cm to the top cover.
tommorow i will receive rampage III extreme,maybe its better for this mobo,because you have more pci's
and the second vga will be not so close to the roof.
finally i think is a good idea this upper panel,i didn't know that you can buy it separately.
to be honest i dont want to change this case,because i like it,if i manage to minimize the noise and the temps of the gpu's,i will keep it for sure.
when i gaming i'm like this,the upper panel lifted about 2 cm,and the side panel removed,otherwise the gpu'z are screaming..

@thanx cyberkost

I thinking about building the woman a desktop, thinking this case may be a good start.

@gbak Flip your PSU and cut a intake whole under it if there isn't one and I can guarantee that it will help with your case temps! :eek:

I had mine the same way yours is now and flipping it improved the temps of my components especially my graphics card with about 10°C, this is because the fan of the PSU will allow some heat to escape inside your case if it is mounted upwards but if you have it the other way the hot air will be trapped in the PSU and pushed out the front. ;)

Last edited:
This is the only blowhole cover that is included:
a05fn-04.jpg

If you want to install a fan you have to buy a fan grill or leave it open. :(

If anybody is not using their blowhole cover, I want it. In return you can have the original 140mm fan grill from my PC-A17B.

Okay a small update from me living with the PC-A05 FNB for about a month now :D

First of I had some problem with my GTX 470 overheating... and my first solution with using a BS-06 turned out to do nothing more than add noise to the system, my new solution was to Install a heat sink (of retarded size) I hope the supportbar works otherwise my card will probably snap in half! :eek: Yes it's the Thermalright Spitfire and behind it theres a Noctua NF-P14(controlled by the graphics card) this combo has proven both quiet and efficient!
_MG_0261U-r20.png

The backside, my 8pin connection was to short to rout on the backside so an extension cable was needed. I think it was worth noting since my PSU has what I believe to be standard length cables.
And of course the motherboard cutout was off with enough to make it impossible to install the CPU cooler after the motherboard was in place.
_MG_0260U-r20.png

Temporary position of my hard-drives! I got four hard-drive enclosures on its way and will mount two here and two in the bottom of the case hopefully that will help with the horrible noise they make. Especially the bottom one that doesn't have any anti-vibration mounts.
_MG_0263U-r20.png

Better like zip-ties if you ever consider this case even with a Modular or Semi-Modular PSU it adds up to quite a lot. Other thing to note, my PSU is 158mm long and there is no room between it and my sata cables at all; actually had to remove the PSU when it was time to connect my hard drives! :eek:
_MG_0262U-r20.png

But Maalie! Are your fans blowing front to back won't that break the airflow and make your PSU heat up the case?
Well yes maybe but to start with my PSU exhaust air is actually quite cold if you compare it to what my roommates computer spits out (both our computers are facing the same corner) I have also built a wall in the front panel between the power-supply and the intake fan forcing hot air to be pushed outside instead of reentering the case.

Last edited:
Good to see this thread still going. I removed my BS-06 too and the temps haven't really changed at all. Guess it was just a waste of money.

You should add some extra beast air-cooling by getting the VRM cooler Thermalright makes for the GTX 400 series. :D

Good to see this thread still going. I removed my BS-06 too and the temps haven't really changed at all. Guess it was just a waste of money.

You should add some extra beast air-cooling by getting the VRM cooler Thermalright makes for the GTX 400 series. :D
Indeed or the fan from the BS-06 proved to help a lot with videocard temps when mounted in the bottom of a Fractal Design R3 the poor little Zalman VF3000F finally got some fresh air to move around and can now run a GTX470 at reasonably temps with the lowest fan speed.... So yeah still the most expensive fan I have ever bought but at least it came to good use.

What!? well I have to agree now that you point it out, the heat sink to the right of the spitfire heat pipes does not scream overkill like the rest of the cooler and what better way to cover that ugly support than with more metal! :D
Wonder if it will fit my Gigabyte 470 SOC since it's not the reference PCB layout... Oh well guess I'll end up buying it just to see if it fits or not. :eek:

Indeed or the fan from the BS-06 proved to help a lot with videocard temps when mounted in the bottom of a Fractal Design R3 the poor little Zalman VF3000F finally got some fresh air to move around and can now run a GTX470 at reasonably temps with the lowest fan speed.... So yeah still the most expensive fan I have ever bought but at least it came to good use.

What!? well I have to agree now that you point it out, the heat sink to the right of the spitfire heat pipes does not scream overkill like the rest of the cooler and what better way to cover that ugly support than with more metal! :D
Wonder if it will fit my Gigabyte 470 SOC since it's not the reference PCB layout... Oh well guess I'll end up buying it just to see if it fits or not. :eek:

Hmm, if it isn't reference I'm afraid it won't fit. :( As far as I know they're only designed for the reference card. However, if you do go ahead and buy it anyway, I recommend against using the thermal strip that comes with it and just use a tiny dab of paste on each VRM for even better temperatures.

Hmm, if it isn't reference I'm afraid it won't fit. :( As far as I know they're only designed for the reference card. However, if you do go ahead and buy it anyway, I recommend against using the thermal strip that comes with it and just use a tiny dab of paste on each VRM for even better temperatures.

Actually the GTX470 modell was never released anyway so I have to go with the GTX 480 version "G2"... But looking at pictures of the PCB design I actually feel comfortable it might fit on my card because unlike reference 470 cards all my VRMs are placed in a straight line just like its bigger brother! When it come to Thermal Pads VS Thermal Paste I believe that the only time it's okay to use thermal pads is when there is no other possible way of securing the heat sink! Not that I think the temps of my VRM is that critical, on the stock-cooler(Windforce Rev 2.0) they didn't have a heat-sink at all anyway so it will mostly be an aesthetic fix :eek:

Update: Just got my HDD enclosures, this little box is stating to get heavy :p oh and I also got some brushed aluminum case feet!
Now if only I could decide what colors I want to sleeve my PSU in :eek:
_MG_0311U.png

_MG_0312U.png

_MG_0309U.png

_MG_0310U.png

Last edited:
Actually the GTX470 modell was never released anyway so I have to go with the GTX 480 version "G2"... But looking at pictures of the PCB design I actually feel comfortable it might fit on my card because unlike reference 470 cards all my VRMs are placed in a straight line just like its bigger brother! When it come to Thermal Pads VS Thermal Paste I believe that the only time it's okay to use thermal pads is when there is no other possible way of securing the heat sink! Not that I think the temps of my VRM is that critical, on the stock-cooler(Windforce Rev 2.0) they didn't have a heat-sink at all anyway so it will mostly be an aesthetic fix :eek:

Update: Just got my HDD enclosures, this little box is stating to get heavy :p oh and I also got some brushed aluminum case feet!

What case feet did you get, I'm currently looking at some but those look like they fit real nice.

they are called Lian Li SD-03A and some things to note is that they do not come with any nonslip rubber and a lot longer screws than what was needed to mount them. I think they are primarily intended as risers for lian li cases that already have this type of aluminum feet

This is a little bit of a work in progress...but I took it upon myself to rotate my psu and remount it from the floor of the case, I need to rewire a bit and hide stuff a bit better and the two 3pin cables shown are for my side panel fans that were added to cool down the twin 480's (do a pretty good job mind you).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wow - going to add this case to the short list for my upcoming HTPC build... Impressed with what I see here.

I'd say it's the best commonly available small full-ATX case.

Even though everybody weighs different things differently in their determination of what's best, I'd agree that in most contests which give any tangible way to compactness this case should be a top contender.

Welcome to the club! Moving from the 700D to the A05FN must have been pretty dramatic, I bet you can probably stuff an A05 into a 700D. :p

Anything to report temperature wise?

I cannot report any temps yet. The 700d was full water, and i have to wait for some parts to arrive. The 700d is piss poor for air cooling anyways. I imagine that temps will be better because the airflow is more directed and the Rad is going to externally mounted. Just not on the top if the case. That always looks tacky.

after 3 years with this case, and now moving down to a m-ATX board, I still haven't found a suitable replacement.

I finally got a new case after 4 years with my original A05B, and strangely despite being about 2x the size the Silverstone FT02 doesn't feel any less cramped and I didn't find cable management to be substantially easier or "better". Not sure what to make of that. All I know is my machine is going to be miserable to move around for LAN party purposes now. Kind of regretting the swap.

That is the reason why I moved to an A05NB. I drive a Mazda Miata and a 700D will not fit in the front seat (don't even think about the trunk!) without haveing to remove the seat. Now that was a real PITA!

If I understand correctly, negative airflow is better than postive. If so, that would mean it's better to have more air exhausting than intake? So would a 120x38mm fit in the front of A05NB while 120x25 in the back?

Dying to replace my Antec case that I've used since 2006. :eek:

Back