I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

I figured I had no use for that 3.5" bay that I might as well put a ssd in there... I could try some velcro now that you mention it. I haven't got my case yet but can you take out that HDD rack on the A05N? I'm trying to make things less cluttered.

You sure can. I still use the 3.5" hard drives, so I'm keeping it for now, but you can take it out, it's just held in by screws. It would clear up a lot of room if you took it out.

I don't think that you can stick it in the external 3.5" bay like you can on some cases (and still keep the drive cover), I tried once, but it didn't work.

You sure can. I still use the 3.5" hard drives, so I'm keeping it for now, but you can take it out, it's just held in by screws. It would clear up a lot of room if you took it out.

I don't think that you can stick it in the external 3.5" bay like you can on some cases (and still keep the drive cover), I tried once, but it didn't work.

Hmm... dang I guess that adaptor wouldn't fit then.

Yeah, one can't put it all the way in, it's gonna "stick out" some on the back (like in my old A05B picture below), but it should fit. I mean, 3.5" HDD fits (with bay cover on), so should the 3.5"-to-2.5" adapter as its external dimensions (with potential exception for shorter length) and screw-holes are those of a 3.5" HDD.

IMG_9782.jpg

Yeah, one can't put it all the way in, it's gonna "stick out" some on the back (like in my old A05B picture below), but it should fit. I mean, 3.5" HDD fits (with bay cover on), so should the 3.5"-to-2.5" adapter as its external dimensions (with potential exception for shorter length) and screw-holes are those of a 3.5" HDD.

IMG_9782.jpg

You got it packed in there. Is that like 5 HD's? :eek: Nice cable management btw.

Yes, it's a bit nose-heavy, but I like RAID10 (the lower 4 drives) with its 400+ MB/sec buffered reads ;)

Awesome performance!

And only thing I can think of is to be careful in the video card department if you are going to mount it in the external bay.

Dammit all, so NCIX is politely requesting I find alternatives to both the HX850W and the Sapphire 5970 as they're not in stock. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking of going Crossfire 5870s, but I need a PSU that would take the two of them. And if I'm getting two video cards, in this case, I might need another cooling solution... any suggestions?

I would be very wary of putting two video cards in here. Definitely put some fans up top.

That being said, the 5870s don't draw a huge amount of power, about the same as GTX260s I think, and I powered my two GTX260s in SLI with my Silverstone Strider 700W PSU with no problems for a while until one crapped out and I decided SLI wasn't worth the hassle in heat. (As in heating up the rest of my room)

I've decided to go with an HX750 and two XFX 5870s... I have the vent for the top, so I should get a fan for it, right? How do I mount it?

I've decided to go with an HX750 and two XFX 5870s... I have the vent for the top, so I should get a fan for it, right? How do I mount it?

If you get a fan, it's 140mm blowhole. The fan might hit the top 5870 unless you get custom cooling. The blowhole is close to the middle of the lid, depending on where you mount your top 5870, they may not fit together. A single 5870 is hot enough in this case. I need the new lid but newegg is out of stock.

That's a pretty cool mod, but yea... 3.6 seemed pretty much the common ceiling for Q6600's... I don't think I ever heard of a 4.0ghz q6600 but I'm sure they have existed.

I did 3.0ghz on air with stock volts and I just left mine like that for it's entire life.

Air coolers are pretty damn good now adays though, you really don't see as much of a change in temps...

I'm gonna have to cool down the video card then, it runs pretty hot and they fail more frequently than CPU's. Its a 5870... probably worth more than anything else in the case!

That can't be right, MooCow. Look at all the crazy stuff you're putting in there to cool the case and its components, and you're saying your 5870 still fails on you due to overheating? Something's got to technically be faltering.

I'm putting two 5870s in this bad boy withOUT water cooling so if you're having issues then I'm screwed.

That can't be right, MooCow. Look at all the crazy stuff you're putting in there to cool the case and its components, and you're saying your 5870 still fails on you due to overheating? Something's got to technically be faltering.

I'm putting two 5870s in this bad boy withOUT water cooling so if you're having issues then I'm screwed.

I think he's saying videocards fail more frequently than CPUs in general.

Whoo! Gotta clean up that cabling! Haha jk.

That water cooling setup looks a lot less hassle than mine, and I should have gone that route instead. Oh well, what's done is done. I just can't water cool my GPU adequately lol.

Okay, NCIX is starting to drive me nuts at the moment.

They're now saying that a 750w won't run crossfire 5870s. The problem at this point is really finding a PSU that's 850+ and would actually fit.

Would the Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w work?

Okay, NCIX is starting to drive me nuts at the moment.

They're now saying that a 750w won't run crossfire 5870s. The problem at this point is really finding a PSU that's 850+ and would actually fit.

Would the Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w work?

That's why I just buy the parts and build them myself. NCIX is dragging your chain to get you to spend more money. Computer stores are great at ripping people off and their techs often don't know anything but how to use a screwdriver. It's like taking your car to an auto mechanic and letting the guy tell you that you need to buy this and that but it's all lies. Why are you getting NCIX to build it? Are you in Canada? I only buy from NCIX because I know I can price match them to hell with shopbot.ca

The only requirements from ATI for crossfire are:
ATI said:
ATI officially recommends a 600 watt power supply with 40 amps on the 12 volt rail(s) for a system with two 5870's in Crossfire mode

The HX750 has a Single +12V rail design providing up to 62A!

Last edited:
Okay well I'm having two different conversations with NCIX. Apparently going personally through e-mail instead of their ticket system is a lot better. God damn, I just want this machine already!

Any rumors or news of a version that'll come with a black anodized interior? I see some of their larger cases are starting to have that option. I don't have one yet. Waiting for a decent special price. I need a smallish full ATX case for my second computer.

Steve

That would be nice, but in their upcoming product catalog, there wasn't much/any change in their PC-A05N offering from what I could tell.

if they started to come with black anodized interior then i'd have to buy one and cut out a window... omg it would be so sexy!

Wow, I bought this case after reading this thread two or three years ago! Nice to see it's still going strong! I've been very happy with my A05B

Well I ordered one. Bit on the Amazon $40 credit on first order when applying for their card. Shipping was a little high but still made it about $73 shipped in the end. Now to see if I can find a local anodizer :)

It'll be nice having a Lian-Li case again. My last one was an older PC-60

Steve

$164 shipped for the A05N and the top cover from Performance PCS.
Do you think that is excessive?
Also, what use is there for the old top cover? Shrimp grilling?? :p

Also, to go with the top cover, you have to go with black, as I am
assuming they are not likely to ever offer the brushed top?

The top, when it was available at newegg, was like $29 (quite reasonable, if you ask me), the case itself is $100 + $15 shipping, which is a bit excessive (again, imo) given that is was available for $75 back in Nov'09 and $90 shipped was a regular price for significant periods of time in the past ... so, yes, $164 seems to be a bit steep ... I think you might get it cheaper from newegg if you wait, but it seems to me retailers have figured out by now that this is a popular case and the "popularity premium" is here to stay.

Extra top cover could be used for experiments ... e.g., 2x120 rad?

... so, yes, $164 seems to be a bit steep ...
No problem, but if $164 shipped is too much to pay for the case and the top,
then I am back to deciding what would be a better value in a case for $164 or less,
and that discussion has no place in this thread.

However, please PM me if you have any advice in that regard.

Thanks!

No problem, but if $164 shipped is too much to pay for the case and the top,
then I am back to deciding what would be a better value in a case for $164 or less,
and that discussion has no place in this thread.

However, please PM me if you have any advice in that regard.

Thanks!

When I bought the case it was $89 + $20 shipping. Now the case is $99 + $15 shipping from Newegg so the price difference is only $5 more overall.

I would just buy the case for $105 and call it a day. Use the $60 you save to mod the stock cover yourself to have twin 120mm blowholes.

Just got my A05N! Loving the case, just a shame it lacks the same 'quality' feel my v600 had :(

Planning to get the T-60F top panel soon and trying my hand at cable braiding. Also need to get a pci-e sound card so I can move my 285 further down...

1filtered.jpg

2filtered.jpg

img3008filtered.jpg

capiscilin, you can mount your PSU upside down if you want, that's why there is a shelf for it underneath. That way it draws cool air from the bottom of the case insead of fighting the front exhaust fan for air.

What's with the elastic band on the Ultra-120? No fan clips?

Im going to try mounting the PSU upside down, thanks. Im also looking at getting the BS-03 (side intake) as well as the top panel exhaust.

I somehow managed to snap the metal clips for the TRUE, hence the elastic band. Dont ask how, Im not sure myself. Eventually Im planning to go for water, so its only temorary... I just hope it doesnt fall off mid way through a round on bc2 or something :eek:

Back