I have $3,000. I need a gaming machine.

Bonksnp

Supreme [H]ardness
I need the whole kitten kabootle. LCD, speakers, mouse, yadda yadda.

I want at least:

- 250-300 gig o HDD space
- 2 gig o RAM
- an AMD FX proc
- a SLI mobo
- dual nvidia video cards

GO! :eek:

3000 is a lot u could save $1000 easily and get near equal performance. Its not worth the extra $1000 for a marginal increase

So $2000 is optimal for a gaming machine? Including mouse. monitor everything?

I just want to get some ideas......I have a pretty good idea of what Im looking for, just wondering what other people think

Athlon FX = not worth it
SLI = not as cost effective as a single card

If you do need to fill up your budget, SLI does give you the highest FPS right now. But at the very least, wait for Conroe.

My money is on conroe as well. And yes $2000 is plenty enough for a complete rig.

If you have $3000 to spend, spend $3000. You can always build a nice raid array... gold plated heatsinks... uhh.... diamond incrusted gpu cores..? I take that back, don't spend $3000 on a computer. $2000 is plently.

If he is asking for an FX, I would expect the $3k to available and burning a hole in his pocket. Between the FX and a high quality screen, mouse, keyboard, and speakers, he can easily burn more than half of his budget. A pair of 7900GTs and hes down to $6-700 available for mobo, memory, case, PSU, HDD, optical, etc. Don't forget $200 for XP...

Hes not looking for a tower, hes looking for a complete system, big difference.

3k is ample for a complete system, I'd use the whole budget.

I'd also wait a bit for Conroe to rear its head so you could gauge your options a bit better, but you could knock out everything but the CPU/Mobo, parts-wise.

Have you considered ordering an OEM PC? Companies like Velocity Micro and Maingear make excellent gaming-rigs. Might be something to investigate if you don't want to/aren't comfortable with building (you didn't say in your post, so...)

C2D E6600 - ~$320
C2D motherboard - ~$180
OCZ Gold 2x1GB DDR2-667 4-4-4-8 EL - $187, free shipping, $40 mail-in rebate
Sapphire X1900XT 512MB - $381, free shipping
Western Digital WD1500ADFD Raptor 150GB - $259, free shipping
Samsung Spinpoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II - $84, free shipping
Pioneer DVR-111D - $36 + $5 shipping
OCZ OCZ600GXSSLI GameXStream 600W - $116 + $12 shipping
Antec SLK3000B - $29 + ~$20 shipping
Viewsonic VX2025WM 20" 8-bit LCD - $339, free shipping
Logitech G15 keyboard - $69, free shipping (currently OOS)
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 - $265, free shipping
Corepad Magna mouse pad - $29 + ~$7 shipping

Logitech G5 laser mouse - $45, free shipping
or
Logitech G7 cordless laser mouse - $65, free shipping

Total - $2383/2403 including shipping, plus tax if applicable, before $40 MIR

You can certainly spend more on the case if you like; I'm just fond of the SLK3000B because it's cheap and can be very quiet.

^wow same build I was imagining for myself, 454Casull, except for I would probably prefer a Lian Li 7B Plus II, a 500GB Seagate HDD and that ~$700 NEC 20.1" WS LCD. :D
The Viewsonic is more budget friendly though haha. Do you guys think that Core 2 Duo will be that price when it first comes out? I remember when Newegg first had the X2 3800+ (which was supposed to be around the $300 range at that time) but they were selling them for $400+ :confused: My OC'd Opteron 146 should last me until C2D drops in price and there are more mobos for it.

I would do what everyone else is saying and wait for C2D. Even if you don't want to buy Intel, prices on AM2 will probably drop to compete w/ C2D later this summer. You can also get an X-fi and some extras like round cables + silent fans if you want to spend all of your budget. $3k seems like a lot but its a good investment.

come on dude... at least post what you're thinking of buying so we can take you seriously and give tips..

I'm just gonna copy paste casull's post everytime a thread like this comes up :rolleyes:

are you wanting to build this yourself? or get a prebuilt system.. if you're wanting to spend that much it might be worth it to just get a prebuilt.. but who knows..

Back