I have a 2407, an x-fi xtreme music, and a 360... what do I need for sound?

Rogue4mula

Gawd
The subject pretty much says it all...
I have a 2407, an x-fi xtreme music, and a 360 (preimium so I have the component cables)... what else do I need (parts, whatever) for sound (so I can actually play it!)?

Here is a pic of the setup just for kicks:
setup004sa3.jpg

Thanks!

Speakers and a receiver...or if the speakers can handle the signal themselves, just the speakers.

I have 6.1 megaworks THX... but I don't even know what I would connect to the 360 for audio... All I have is the component/composite cables. I don't quite get it. Somebody had mentioned something about optical, but I don't even know where that would go. I got the 360 from my brother, so he may have lost a part or something as well.

The 2407 has picture in picture. I have it plugged into the component while the computer is on DVI.

Is that an official microsoft component cable? If so, it has an optical port on the end that plugs into the 360

Andrmgic said:
Is that an official microsoft component cable? If so, it has an optical port on the end that plugs into the 360

Yep, just go from that to your optical in on your computer and your all set. Alternatively you could get an adapter that goes from RCA to stereo jack and plug that into the line in on your computer. The optical would obviously provide superior sound quality however.

Andrmgic said:
There is a little hole on the end of it that I think is the optical connector, but there is no cable.

What is that weird radio shack thing called?

you just need to run an optical cable from the xbox to the x-fi. You'll need to buy the cable, as the xbox doesn't actually come with one. And it does just plug into the slot on your component cable where it attaches to the xbox.

A short optical cable is about $10. Just get one and plug it into your sound card.

lol you goof. i just have my 360 standing up behind my 2407. i like it that way.

Its a digital signal. The x-box will throw Dolby Digital encoded 5.1 audio down the optical jack into your x-fi which will then decode it and pump it out of the analogue jacks and into your speakers.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i have some questions.

1.) I have a Fatality edition X-Fi, so to hook up the audio from my consoles, i can just run the red/white straight to the L + R Aux in 2 jacks of the face plate right?

2.) If i go out and get a 5.1 PC speaker setup, i need to run the optical from the 360 to the x-fi faceplate (op in) then from the faceplate (op out) to the reciever for the speakers?

3.) Once i do one of the 2 above, the ribbon cable from the faceplate to the card is all i need right? i dont even know what other connections are on the back of the faceplate.

4.) I could also use some surround sound for C&C3... and suggestions on low profile speakers that could fit under a dell 2407?

thanks

If you bought a 5.1 system like the Logitech Z-5500, they have an optical in. So you could just plug an optical cord from the 360 to the Logitech's. You wouldn't have to run it through the computer at all.

If you bought a 5.1 system like the Logitech Z-5500, they have an optical in. So you could just plug an optical cord from the 360 to the Logitech's. You wouldn't have to run it through the computer at all.

That's what I am doing! My GC and PS2 share the Red and White RCA ports on my X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS though.

4.) I could also use some surround sound for C&C3... and suggestions on low profile speakers that could fit under a dell 2407?

thanks

the z-5500 speakers will fit under the 2407 or they should. the center speaker fits under my 2005fpw.

Well...I prefer to have better sound in games on the XBOX. I mostly have been playing COD 2 and COD 3 lately and being able to tell if someone is on your right or the left is nice to have. So, I use the X2 TurtleBeach XBOX 360 Wireless Headphones.
They sell for like 70 to 99 bux at different stores. I actually got a set offa Ebay that was faulty. But the only fault was that the earphone speakers were reversed. Plugged red into white and white into red and everything is normal now. The headphones sound great and I really enjoy using them. Your X-FI might produce better sound 'n all...but even if I had an X-FI I would still want to use headphones for gaming. I understand that not everyone feels the same way though....

I've ordered a pair of 5.1 headphones from Tigerdirect. Unfortunately, they are USB, so I don't think they will be of any use on the XBOX 360 unless there is some sort of adapter which I doubt... But yeah, 5.1 is preferred...

The 5.1 headphones suck. I got the LTB Mentor USB headphones. Sound is muffled most of the time. In game it's OK, but not great. This headphones are terrible for music. Also, no place to adjust bass/treble levels in windows or otherwise. These would probably be ok if they had their own software to push them. But...I wouldn't buy these. Definetly not the best 5.1 headphones around town. I bought these specifically because the reviewers stated that they had great bass response. Well these people are either deaf or they are doing something that I'm not.

Back