i have no where to plug in my psu fan! what should i do?

gamekid

Gawd
ok i got the msi neo4 sli platinum and i have 3 case fans and a vantec tornado on my xp-90 all plugged in to the mobo. but i have no where to plug in the fan thing from the psu! i see cases with a bunch of fans in them and i am wondering where do u guys plug in all those fans? where should i plug mine in?

I am not understanding....are you wanting to plug your PSU's fan connector onto your mobo? Pics? Please?

no pics because i dont have a digital camera.

you know those little 3 prong cords that come with a fan that u connect to the motherboard? well, one of those is comming out of my psu and i dont have any plugs left on the mobo. so where do i plug it in? or i dont have to plug it anywhere?

and tiny, thz for your help with this and my other question :)

KieutNinjah said:
pluggin in the tornado in the motherboard is not a good thing

y not?

-------
and also.......everyfan has 2 power things comming out of them.......they are opposite of eachother as in, one looks like a cord from the psu plugs into it but the other looks like the cord from the psu.........what do i do? do i plug them both in?

a vantec tornado draws at least 25 watts on startup and the fan header on a motherboard is only good for 6 watts at most

if the plug coming form the power supply only has one wire (a yellow one) then you don't need to plug it in. If it has all 3 wire then if it is not plugged in that might mean that the power supply is being passivly cooled and that might work for awile but as soon as you try to do something the power supply will overheat.

if all the fans you bought have the 4 pin pass-though connector you can "daisy-chain" them to hook up as may as you what.

I am thinking that his PSU has a cord for the fan because it may have thermal or fan speed sensing on it. I don't think the PSU's cooling fan would require it to be plugged in anywhere outside of the PSU housing.

Could you tell us the make and model of the PSU you have?

Ther Tornadoes do indeed take a chunk of power to start up so I would hook your Tornado up to the left over connecter that you have.

As far as having lots of fans in a case. I have 7 in one of my systems and I did what jeclone is talking about and used these to 'daisy-chain' some of mine, but I specifically bought those because I was building a system for a friend and he wanted a Delta on top of his HS. (if you follow the link...make sure to read sean's review of the adapters)

Running your Tornado through your motherboard, CAN fry your motherboard.

One thing at a time, lets try and figure out what your wire is coming from the PSU.

Do you still have the manual? It should say in there what it is and what it is used for.

Is the wire you are talking about the far lower-right one in this picture?

If so, I looked in their knowlegebase and found the following:
A4: 1. FM & FMA Series: The power supply has a 3 pin housing as Fan Monitor Connector (FMC), with two wires attached, which M/B uses to monitor the speed (RPM) of the 8cm power fan. Please refer to the M/B user guide in order to check if M/B contains power fan connector (could be printed on M/B as "PWR_FAN" or "PWR FAN") as a standard feature or not.

Note: If M/B has no such terminal for FMC or FMC is not connected to M/B, 8cm fan shall be working normally but no RPM reading is available.
2. FC & FCA series: The power supply has a 3 pin housing as Fan Monitor Connector (FMC), with three wires attached, which M/B uses to:
‧Monitor the speed (RPM) of 8cm fan
‧Stop 8cm fan as system switches to sleeping mode (S1 mode as defined in ACPI)
Power up cooling fan attached to this connector as System power on or wake-up
Please refer to the user guide of M/B you use in order to check if M/B contains power fan connector (could be printed on M/B as "PWR_FAN" or "PWR FAN") as its standard feature or not.

Note: Due to circuit design of FC power supply, the electricity to power up 8cm fan comes from M/B not from power supply itself. If M/B does not offer such terminal for FMC or FMC is not connected to M/B:
‧The 8cm fan shall not spin even after system powers on.
‧No RPM reading is available

Does your manual say anything like that?

EDIT FOR UPDATE****
I found the manual online and it says about the wire the following:
4. Plug in the 2-pin fan rpm signal connector to PWR_Fan or any of the fan connectors on the main board. If choose not to connector this 2-pin fan rpm signal connector, power supply shall work normally.
So the wire is just used for monitoring the PSU fan from the BIOS. Which means your PSU fan may be able to be throttled down automatically I believe, but if you don't use it...don't worry, the fan will run just fine at a steady RPM.

But DO get that Tornado off your motherboard connector and onto a molex connection.

gamekid said:
no pics because i dont have a digital camera.

you know those little 3 prong cords that come with a fan that u connect to the motherboard? well, one of those is comming out of my psu and i dont have any plugs left on the mobo. so where do i plug it in? or i dont have to plug it anywhere?

and tiny, thz for your help with this and my other question :)

my antec psu has one of those too, you dont need to hook it up and the only purpose of it is to use your motherboard to monitor the temp of your psu and its fan speed

tiny, that is the right cord and #1 seems to be right. my psu didnt come with a manual :confused: . its a new psu though.

------

since i unplugged the vantec tornado one i have a free one for the psu. thx a lot jeclone for warning me

-------

so i now have 2 questions:
1)do i still have to plug my fans into the psu?

2) (this is a new one) on the 1394 cable, 7 little tiny separate plugs are coming out from it, do i have to plug the main 1394 cable in and all the little tiny things? because the tiny things are really hard to get on since they are so small.

compslckr said:
my antec psu has one of those too, you dont need to hook it up and the only purpose of it is to use your motherboard to monitor the temp of your psu and its fan speed

aw shucks. You beat me to it. Good job

but I secretly hate you now!
:p

gamekid said:
tiny, that is the right cord and #1 seems to be right. my psu didnt come with a manual :confused: . its a new psu though.

------

since i unplugged the vantec tornado one i have a free one for the psu. thx a lot jeclone for warning me

-------

so i now have 2 questions:
1)do i still have to plug my fans into the psu?

2) (this is a new one) on the 1394 cable, 7 little tiny separate plugs are coming out from it, do i have to plug the main 1394 cable in and all the little tiny things? because the tiny things are really hard to get on since they are so small.

1. Just the Tornado, all others can be safely run from the mobo headers.

2. What your talking about looks similar to this right?

You will have to plug the '7 little tiny things' into your motherboard if you want to use your 1394 ports (do they lead to the front or to a back PCI plate?)
I would say refer to your manual for your motherboard for the placement, but the '7 little tiny things' should be labeled, as should the area around the motherboard where they go. They are small so it may be hard to read. What I do with mine is get them all lined up correctly and hold them tight in my fingers (so it looks like one solid connector) and then use a small amount of tape to hold them in place (kind-of) and then just slide them in with a little wiggling to get them on.

But remember that when you do this, make sure the power is off and you have them connected in the right way, as a mobo short is possible if not.

BTW that is not my picture, I found it on the net.

yeah but they only fit on one pin and i already put my mobo in my case (tray is not removable :mad: ), it will be hard for me to put them on but i'll manage, i found were it says to plug them in before but i didnt know if i had too. they lead to the front of the case.

and i almost forgot, there is this other wire comming from a small black button on the back of the case that says "INT Short Open", i have no idea where this goes, i will search through my mobo manual but i dont think i will find anything.....doesnt look like theres a place for it though

[edit] ok, the mobo doesn't have some of the plugs in the manual.

the cable has:TPA+, TPA-, TPB+, TPB-, VG, VP, and SHIELD
the mobo manual has:TPA+, TPA-, TPB+, TPB-, 2 grounds, and 2 cable powers....

i think VG is a ground and VP is the power but what slot do i put them in?

What case do you have, 'cause I have no idea about that button you are talking about.

i have a silverstone tj06....i found nothing on their webiste on any of this.....

Are you talking about the internal plug to wire up the front USB connector? Is the "VP" white in color? If that's the case, they're generally just reserved wires and sometimes don't need to be connected.

the VP is white!

lol i was just about to say i was gona leave them alone because the mobo says its optional and i dont think i use it anyway............

anyway.........back to my other question, do i need to plug the psu into all the case fans even if they are plugged into the mobo?

and the"INT short open " plug.......its just hooked up to a button in the back of the case, i dont think i need it, so that stays unplugged too. :)

Tiny said:
1. Just the Tornado, all others can be safely run from the mobo headers.
From above. :p ;)

Get that Tornado off the motherboard header, I googled some things last night and many people have had their system fried because of the Tornado's power draw at start-up

thanks for all the help. just to let you know, i bult my computer and everything is working fine but the headphones....but thats another post ;)

gamekid said:
anyway.........back to my other question, do i need to plug the psu into all the case fans even if they are plugged into the mobo?
No, the PSU fan speed indicator is only there so you can monitor PSU fan speed and temp through your motherboard mfg's utility, assuming they have on. Some of those utility programs also allow you to control the fan speed in the PSU.

If you never plugged that in at all you would never know it, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the other fans.

oc

wow, this is great information. i would have never thought plugging in my HSF to the mobo header would cause any problem.

on a related note, can someone tell me...

1. The difference between a 3-pin and 4-pin fan tail.

2. What the different fan plug pins are used for (color and role).

... answered my own questions... see below ...

Thanks!

well it is amazing what google and 10 minutes can do...

i think i have answered my own previous quesiton, here is how i understand it. please let me know if i am incorrect...

Fans either support RPM monitoring or they don't. If they do then one of the three pins coming out of the fan relays RPM information.

There are 2 types of fan tails/connectors/plugs, 3-pin and 4-pin.

The 3-pin connector is plugged into the mobo fan header. If your fan supports RPM monitoring then plugging your fan into your mobo header will allow you to monitor your fan from the BIOS/OS. If your fan does not support RPM monitoring then plugging the 3-pin connector into your mobo header will only power the fan, nothing more.

The 4-pin connector is basically a molex plug. It allows you to power your fan via your PSU. This plug however will not allow you to monitor your fan (because the fan isn't connected to the mobo in any way). HOWEVER, there are adapters you can purchase like this that convert the standard 3-pin fan plug into a molex plug (that is plugged into the PSU) and an RPM monitoring plug (that is plugged into the mobo).

Back