I have read where many posters are calling it an upgrade?

Go4hunter

Weaksauce
I have read that many of you guy's are calling going from a 20.1 inch LCD to the new Dell 20.1 inch wide screen an upgrade.

I just bought a Viewsonic VP201b but after reading some post I wonder if the widescreen would be better?

I'm amazed at the nice look of The LCD version over my Nec 19inch CRT which I loved.

P.S. I got the Viewsonic at Dell so I can return it if the wide screen really is better then the 20.1 models I guess Dell's and Viewsonic's 20.1
models have the same panels in them.

It depends on preference. The widescreen is fun, yeah, but it's not any "better" or "worse" than normal aspect.

I think the panel used in the 2005 is slightly better on contrast and response time than the panel used in the VP201 and the 2001FP, but all three are fine monitors.

Beware of the aweful backlight leakage problem with the Dell 2005FPW
Have a look threw the 2005FPW thread(s)

-

Thaz

If your games or application supports the widescreen resolution, then it looks really beautiful. But I wouldn't say it's necessarily "better" than regular 4:3. I had to pack away my 2005FPW tonight since I need to ship it back to Dell tomorrow, so until my 2405FPW arrives later this week I'm stuck using my old 19" CRT, it looked incredibly small when I first switched back to it but after a few hours I'm used to it again. One thing I really love about CRTs is the fact that you can use any resolutions you wish. That's about the only concern I have on LCDs, since the widescreen resolutions are so massive it's gonna be hard to game in 1-2 years when new games come out, probably will have to upgrade my x800 xt pe soon.
But playing world of warcraft in widescreen on the 2005FPW was heaven, I can only imagine how much better it'll be on the 2405.

It is an upgrade if you talk about time.

It is a newer panel and LG.Philips has improved a series of matters on the widescreen model.
The 16 20" ms S-IPS panel in the VP201b is not a bad panel but it has some problems which include pixelborders, bad coating, not perfect colour rendering.

LG.Philips, however, has to some extend found a better coating in the widescreen model. They have reduced the screendoor phenomenon and the colour rendering is better actually.
But now we have a problem with inhomogeneous backlight.
The colour rendering still isn't perfect if you measure the delta values and the colours aren't as vibrant as seen in other monitors, but it's better than before.

If you don't see the bad coating and the pixelborders on the normal 20" S-IPS it doesn't matter at all and this is just unimportant talk. I do, however. The coating is distracting to me on my own 18" IPS which was manufactured around the same time or maybe a little earlier. And to me it's distracting on the 20" S-IPS panels too.

Back