I Havent Named It Yet

mrmodman

Limp Gawd
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Every system deserves a name, if you feel it does. I name every system I build based on its purpose or appearance or just the name that kept rolling around in my head when it was being built.

Naming it is about it being a reflection of the work and skill that went into building it. A pre-made system from Dell or something...I wouldn't name that. Their systems (by they I mean almost all OEM manufacturers) are assembly line produced, built for quantity with nothing to set it apart from the one built before it and after it.

You name it to give it a soul, a personality. The XJ45-RSQ (or whatever) is boring and sterile. Its a serial number, not a name.

And even slapping a few lights in a pre-modded case is modding to a degree. Everyone has to start somewhere and for some people thats all they need to make that PC theirs and no one elses.

Naming a system is a personal thing. Its something only the person who built it can really decide because they're the one who's going to use it and they're the one who breathed life into a bunch of inanimate objects.

IMO i think naming a computer is gay. Unless the name has something to do with the mod or the project is uber nice.

I'm tired of seeing thread titles like 'PrOjEcT UltimateDeathStarKillMachine' and all I see is a premod w/ some lights.

Stuff light this isn't "modding" to me, it's more or less making it look better. You have skill and artistry in the sense you want everything you buy to put in it, flows and works well together. But you didn't start from scratch. This is not to invalidate what somone does to their case though.

I need to read my posts before posting them. Light means Like in how I write apparently.

it looks like the inside was painted red though...

Let's ask... what's in that machine? and what have you modded on it? :)

Well, if you want to get technical, every computer get s a name, at least windows ones. I have 2 computers named blue, irony. You should name them something that reminds you of them, just in case you are trying to connect to them from a ways away.
You don't want to be like, "I have all my movies of Billy-Ray, but it's off right now. Can you go turn it on?"
"Which one is Billy-Ray?"
"Shit, I don't remember"

I like the boughtinastore suggestion, but remember....
product_image.gif

That incluldes fan.boys against premods

Biohazzard works to

BTW: try typing in fan.boy without the period. It surprises me that of all things, that is bleeped out

dayGlowe said:
Every system deserves a name, if you feel it does. I name every system I build based on its purpose or appearance or just the name that kept rolling around in my head when it was being built.

And even slapping a few lights in a pre-modded case is modding to a degree. Everyone has to start somewhere and for some people thats all they need to make that PC theirs and no one elses.
I totally agree. Yes, this guy has built a machine around mostly off-the-shelf parts, but he did build a PC out of them with his own two hands. So he is already doing better than a factory-built PC. As to those of you who are [H]8N, remember back to when you first started out. This is a hobby and everyone who dabbles has as much of a right to post on the [H]. I do think maybe it's time to create a new category in "Case Modding" called "Extreme Case Mods" though! This way those of us who create huge projects can be separated from the rest of the more average mods.
As for naming rigs, have you ever seen Mashie, Russ Caslis, Qtip42, or any of the other high-end modders make an unnamed rig? Beginners want to be a part of the scene, too. So they strive to emulate or at least try to format their mod like they have seen in places like this. [/rant] :D

FlatLine84 said:
Who said anything about being against premods?
I like premods to some degree. It allows those of us who don't have the time or inspiration to do wild things have something special too. I'm all for the advent of better looking pc's. Just as long as it's not tacky :)

Exactly, I mean I think it's really cool these options are out there, all my case contains is LED fans, and cathode, and a pre-modded window. I guess what I was trying to say is it's becoming such common place, the coolness is wearing off for me. That's why mods like the guy who modded a comp into a Marantz receiver really impress me, and make me want to do more.

!ut t! get !!ck !! t!pic, I usu!lly !!me my c!mputers s!mthi!g me!!i!gful. !s !! ex!mple, !t w!rk we h!ve ! Greek Myth!l!gy !!mi!g c!!ve!ti!!, !!d wh!t the c!mputer d! h!ve much t! d! with the structure !f the Greek g!ds, !ur PDC's !!me is Zeus, !ur firew!lls !re Hyp!!s !!d !the!!, etc...

is it odd that the letters that were left out are bobaonoanaoonannaanaoaaoonanonnonanaooaooooonaoaanoanAns?

all those a's and o's and n's seem to mean something...

is it odd that one can still read it?

I didn't even type it that way, there was a post about this occuring, right after I posted my post about it... :)

no the whole in the top of my case wasent there wen i got it and i added all the fans u see and cable sleeved it isnt much but i didnt wanan do 2much and mess shizit up

So, Modman, what you're saying is that you did as much modding to the case as you felt comfortable doing with your current set of skills? If so, good.

You have to start somewhere and no one has ever started doing anything and did it better than anyone else on their first try. I've done more than my fair share of mods in the past that were not overly complicated or difficult but taught me alot and thats the real point at the end of the day.

Anyone can make a over-the-top extreme mod on their first try......if they get professional modders to make pieces for them.

Modding is not entirely about the final product. Modding is about the "wrench time" put into it. All the hard work and thought and skills a person employs into a project is what gives it a soul, gives it passion. So long as whatever you decide to do you do at the best of your ability is what the essence of modding is all about.

daragon said:
Well, if you want to get technical, every computer get s a name, at least windows ones. I have 2 computers named blue, irony. You should name them something that reminds you of them, just in case you are trying to connect to them from a ways away.
You don't want to be like, "I have all my movies of Billy-Ray, but it's off right now. Can you go turn it on?"
"Which one is Billy-Ray?"
"Shit, I don't remember"

I like the boughtinastore suggestion, but remember....
product_image.gif

That incluldes fan.boys against premods

Biohazzard works to

BTW: try typing in fan.boy without the period. It surprises me that of all things, that is bleeped out

god also hates ppl who try to come up with badass sounding names for their computers... how about... toxic biohazzard bone crusher nightstalking vampire?

Back