I just bought a Wii - tell me the must have accessories/games.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Hey - Question.

I just bought a Wii.

What games/accessories are must haves? What is a good price to get extra controllers etc?

I'm not understanding why I saw a USB Wi-FI device made for the Wii at wal-mart. My Wii seems to have Wifi built in?

How are the virtual console games? Do I need any extra hardware to play them?

I have the Xbox 360, PS3, and now the Wii. The xbox 360 stuff I'm 100% familiar with, I've had that console since launch day. I bought a PS3 six months ago and more or less familiar with it, but no good games so it's a waste console anyway. The wii I know nothing about because I didn't plan on getting it ---- but eh... What the heck, I never had any of the nintendo's. I'd like to play some of the VC games. I was trying to set it up on my projector too, but the sensor bar cord is too short. :mad:

IMHO the must haves are:

Wii Play (extra remote and for a measly 10 bucks extra, a minigame compilation)
Zelda
Excite Truck
GH3
Super Mario Galaxy next week!!!
Super Paper Mario (loads of fun)
Metroid Prime 3 (Best console FPS controls *ever*. If I could have CoD4 graphics with a Wiimote, I'd be sated for life :))

Hey - Question.

I just bought a Wii.

What games/accessories are must haves? What is a good price to get extra controllers etc?

I'm not understanding why I saw a USB Wi-FI device made for the Wii at wal-mart. My Wii seems to have Wifi built in?

How are the virtual console games? Do I need any extra hardware to play them?

I have the Xbox 360, PS3, and now the Wii. The xbox 360 stuff I'm 100% familiar with, I've had that console since launch day. I bought a PS3 six months ago and more or less familiar with it, but no good games so it's a waste console anyway. The wii I know nothing about because I didn't plan on getting it ---- but eh... What the heck, I never had any of the nintendo's. I'd like to play some of the VC games. I was trying to set it up on my projector too, but the sensor bar cord is too short. :mad:

Must have accessories:

Wii-Motes
Nunchuck controllers to go with them
Classic Controller for Virtual Console. Not necessary, but makes things a lot easier if you don't all ready have Gamecube controllers lying around. You will not be able to play N64 or SNES games without Classic or Gamecube controllers. Maybe NeoGeo too.
Component Video Cable! Don't forget to set your Wii to 480p (EDTV)

Extra controllers are pretty fixed price from what I've seen, 30 for a wiimote and 20 for a nunchuck or Classic addon. Both the nunchuck (you get one of these and 1 wiimote with the system) and the Classic plug right into the Wiimote.

Must Have Games-

I'm going to assume you're more hardcore and don't just want something like Wii Sports...

1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Fantastic game. Legend of Zelda games pretty much created the console Adventure genre. Combat is real time, but there are RPG elements like a great story, powering up your weapons etc.
2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Adventure-style FPS. The best controlling First person game on any system at the moment, bar none. Great story, first person action... its...well, its Metroid!
3. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. If you didn't play the gamecube game, you've been missing out! This is cheap at only 20-30, and a fantastic survival horror game. Its a remake of an old Gamecube/PS2 title, but the graphics and gameplay are enhanced.
4. Trauma Center - A surgery simulator! Quite fun, nice story. May not be your thing, and its certainly not like real surgery, but its enjoyable and controls well.
5. Super Mario Galaxy - When it comes out, it will be probably one of the best platformers out there. Mario did it first, and tends to do it best for pure platform action goodness.

There are dongles for ethernet for the Wii, but WiFi? That's built in, and does a good job. You don't need an additional WiFi dongle.

Virtual Console games are fun. Remember, they are for older games so they may be more simplistic, but its a great way to catch up on games you missed out on. There are currently NES, SNES, N64 Nintendo systems, but they also have games for the SegaGenesis, the NEC TurboGrafx16, and the NeoGeo! They download to your hard drive and you can play them whenever you like from the "dashboard" on the Wii. Games costs between $5-10 or so.

Games:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
RE4: Wii Edition
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Wario Smooth Moves
Super Mario Galaxy!!!

Accessories

Extra Wii-Mote
2 Nunchucks
Classic Controller
Free Wii-Mote Jackets!!!

The wii-mote jacket that came on my wii-mote is clear rubber, but it seems to cover the outer-rim of the infrared sending device on the wii-mote. Is that a problem? Seems odd to me that the rubber jacket would be allowed to infringe on the sending unit.

You need to get Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition.

It's definitely worth it.

One accessory I bought my son for his was a Wii mote dock and rechargeable batteries. The Wii motes sit on the dock when not in use and charge the batteries. I was afraid he would lose the damn things, but as it turns out, it was a great investment overall.

The Wifi Adapter is for your PC, in case you don't have a router. It sets up internet sharing for the Wii to access, and you can use it for a DS too.

Besides the typical Mario Galaxy recommendation, I will put in a vote for Excite Truck. I still have a blast playing it with friends, and it allows you to use your own music in game from mp3's on an SD card.

how much onboard storage is there on the Wii?

It has something like 2200 blocks,

I put a 32MB SD card in there, and it only had 210 blocks.

So i'm guessing the Wii has 384MB? or something of flash storage? Or how exactly is the Wii holding the downloadable content etc?

how much onboard storage is there on the Wii?

It has something like 2200 blocks,

I put a 32MB SD card in there, and it only had 210 blocks.

So i'm guessing the Wii has 384MB? or something of flash storage? Or how exactly is the Wii holding the downloadable content etc?

It has 512mb of flash storage inside. I own nine Wii games + Wii Sports... don't ask me what ones are must-haves, :p! I can tell you that the component cables are a must, though... get them here:

Black color: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3490&seq=1&format=2
White color: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2

Here's my list of well-reviewed Wii games I have found, EXCLUDING any cross-platform titles such as Guitar Hero 3 or Marvel: UA which would add even more to the list:

Super Mario Galaxy
Sonic & Mario At the Olympic Games
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
MySims
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure ($40)
Mercury Meltdown Revoltion ($20)
Super Paper Mario
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Elebits
Super Swing Golf
Mario Strikers: Charged
SSX Blur
Wii Sports (free, with console)
Rayman: Raving Rabbits
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
Wii Play ($10 more with a controller)
Wario Ware Smooth Moves
Excite Truck
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Virtual Console games (downloadables, $5-10)

There's a lot... and more coming soon like Super Smash Brothers Brawl as well :eek:!

Back