I just dont understand...

mobusta1

2[H]4U
Untitled_14.jpg

e8400 at 2gightz?

I just built this board with a gigabyte p43-ds3l. I'm new to overclocking so I read the thread on this forum on how to do it. The changed the cpu frequency to 400x9x to get me 3.6gigtz. It kept bsoding and wouldnt' let me go into windows and if it did it would crash. Than I pulled out the battery and made the bio back to normal. It still kept bsoding for some strange reason. I tried to resinstall windows through safe mode (Loggin into safe mode always worked) and about halfway through it bsoded again wtf? After trying to start the comp a few times it is finally allowing me to use windows. But I dont understand why my clock is so low? The multipler and frequency are set to stock so wtf?

None of the values on cpuz match up with the bios values. Not even the vcores.

Edit: in safe mode when i run cpuz it shows up at 3gightz..i dont get wtf is going on.... but it wont show the multiplier and a lot of other values.

you really dont need to worry about that, when your computer needs the extra horse power it will go back to 3.00 it just downclocks when its not stressed to save energy. Nothing wrong with you Rig

Hmm ya that makes sense. But I'm still having the problem of not being able to load windows. Only the safe mode works. I get a black screen after the first windows load screen after the bios test.

is it just like a black screen for like 2-3 minutes and then the PC Resets? Because thats the problem i have. But that was because i had a faulty VGA card.

It's something similar to that. I reinstalled vista and that worked fine. No hang ups or anything. I started to install the drivers and as soon as I started to install the driver for my 4870 I got a BSOD. And it kept freezing up so I had to restart.

Any help?

The simple answer is, your overclock isn't stable. Disable C1E and EIST/speedstep. Tell us what vcore you are using as well.

Also what temps?

hes not overclocking.

what vista are you using? when i formatted and installed vista 64, i tried to install my Xfi's drivers (Sound Card) and i got a blue screen, windows quit loading after that (it would just hang). i solved it by going in safe mode and restoring my windows to BEFORE installed the drivers and it worked like a charm. Try that. If you are not so lucky you might need to re-install vista again. If you do need to format and re-install, install the VGA drivers first.

hes not overclocking.

what vista are you using? when i formatted and installed vista 64, i tried to install my Xfi's drivers (Sound Card) and i got a blue screen, windows quit loading after that (it would just hang). i solved it by going in safe mode and restoring my windows to BEFORE installed the drivers and it worked like a charm. Try that. If you are not so lucky you might need to re-install vista again. If you do need to format and re-install, install the VGA drivers first.
That's what I would do. Simply do a fresh install of Vista and see if that cures it. Sometimes the install goes fubar and you have to do that anyways.

I DID do a second install of fresh. Formatted and than install. Everything ran fine. Than I started to install all of the drivers. FIrst the MB drivers like lan/chipset. No problems whatsoever. Than I installed the 4870 drivers from the cd AND the hotfix drivers and I got BSOD after BSOD hang up after hangup.

I am using Vista Ultimate SP1 x64

I've been at this for almost 6-7 hrs now.... I have no clue as to what to do :(

EIST definitely. Make sure your mobo isn't undervolting. My Biostar does this. Might not hurt to set it .25 above default. Also, make sure ram is memtested stable, and another thing to try is up ram voltage to 2.2v. Another thing is - who says your cpu can do 3.6? Does it do this at stock clocks?

Seems like ater you installed the 4870 you get the issues here a fix maybe Im using the 8.7 beta drivers, without the hotfix and my 4870 is running great!. Try those, I've had no issues thus far. I've pretty much ran my card through the ringer these past couple of days and havent had a single crash or lock up, even with a moderate overclock of 775/1000 on stock cooling at 48% fan speed.

Like it was said, make sure memory is good with memtest.

Also, that the video drivers are recent or updated.

Worse come to worse, if its not a software related problem (OS/drivers), it could be a problem with either the mobo, ram etc. that may require an rma.

i wouldn't be worrying too much about the fact that its at 2Ghz, as earlier stated, that's just SpeedStep/C1E setting you to a 6x multiplier as opposed to 9x.

Back