I Just got a cool deal !!!

weasel2htm

Limp Gawd
At a garage sale I just scored an older Cisco router for $25 with most of the documentation. She said she's contact me when she tracked down the cables. if she does I offer her $40 for the other two. I also got an HP 10BT hub 16 port for $5.00. I hope to post pics soon.

What model of router did you get?

I've had some friends get some "great deals" on Cisco routers, only to find out that all the have is serial interfaces or CSU/DSU. Effectively making them useless to the average person.

Brian Taylor

BrianTaylor said:
I've had some friends get some "great deals" on Cisco routers, only to find out that all the have is serial interfaces or CSU/DSU. Effectively making them useless to the average person.
Yep.
There should be the model family on the front, and the actual model # on the back somewhere. Once we know that we can tell you how good/bad of a deal you got.

Oops! I thought I posted that. It's a CPA 2501 it's an older one it's white in color.

Dual serial external interfaces. Hate to say it, but if you're a home user its pretty much worthless to you. Also, it comes stock with 2MB flash/8MB RAM, which means it wont run much for IOS's either.

Brian Taylor

You could probably get more than $25 on ebay, so even if you can't use it you may still come out with a deal.

does she still have the other two?

i will buy them for $40 :)

well the worst part of those cisco's is the price and the IOS, I think tis too limiting,not very intuitive, and can easily have a gui for those who want it in case they are stuck with a bad KB to type it in like a small laptop or soemtthing, plus it takes too long to configure lots of stuff. also is too linux feeling and linux and me dont get along. been to hell with linux and back. and whats worse is a 2500 series from 3 years ago still over 2000 dollars on cdw!!!

the hardware is fine if you get a mid level, but really, most average busienesses Ive seen run 3com and thier fine with it. Im more of a 3com person have more experince with them.

Meh, you may not be able to route with it on your home network, but you can always hook up the console port and at least play around with it a learn some stuff.

$25 is pretty cheap for a learning tool.

Yeah, I had a Cisco 2514 and I tried learning a little bit on it, but it was hard as hell. But, with 2 serials and 2 transceivers, I was able to get dual Ethernet and it COULD'VE served as my cable/dsl router, but I just never got that far :(

I sold it...

Now, I use the Linksys 4-port router (wired; not wireless). But, I love my 3Com gear:

SuperStack 3000
Super Stack II 3300
Dual Speed Hub 500

Love 'em! 24 ports and kickin'!!!

I had a couple of those Dual speed hubs...used them for my lan parties before I got switches

he can still do router on a stick =P. no fun to get working but it is possible and a learn exp to say the least.

Back