I just got an iBook G3 and a whole bunch of accessories

TehLUEser

Limp Gawd
So yea, my teacher gave me this blue G3 ibook with 96 (??) megs of RAM a 300mhz processor and a 3 gig hard drive with OS 9. 0. 4 installed. Also she just gave me all these accessories that include the charger, an external iomega CD-RW, one of those older imac keyboards and a mouse, another keyboard, 2 USB hubs (one BELKIN and the other entegra) and an external floppy drive.

While all this seems pretty good, I don't normally use apple products and I was wondering what I should do with this stuff. Keep it or sell it? Does anyone know how much this would be worth? And is anyone intrested? This is a pic of all the stuff

my.php

p.s There is a a very small chunk missing from the side, but it seems to be working fine. It also has Microsoft word, powerpoint and excel installed.

The computer is sadly pretty much useless for anything other than word processing and internet. Relative to pcs, 300mhz is pretty damn slow now, 96mbs of ram is miniscule along with a 3 gig hard drive.

If you really wanted to get into macs, you could grab a bigger hard drive, some more ram and a mac os x operating system, but honestly it might be cheaper to grab something off of ebay. You could keep the accessories for another computer

With that being said, I call dibs on it if you're giving it away!

Well the thing is that I know it's damn slow, hell I was sorta surprised when I first booted it up. But the wierd thing is that they sell pretty well on ebay. $100 at least

DeadlyAura said:
96 megs of ram = 128 - 32 megs onboard video = 96 megs or ram. FYI

o rly? well thanks I did'nt know, I just assumed because it said 96 megs when I went to "About this computer"

EDIT: I just checked and it said it has an ATI rage graphics card (I think the minimum is 32megs) but under "video memory" it has 4 megs of SD RAM. Also if I were to sell it, should I say it has 128 or 96 megs of RAM?

DeadlyAura said:
96 megs of ram = 128 - 32 megs onboard video = 96 megs or ram. FYI
Don't be so quick about that, it's more like 64+32MB of sodimm RAM and then 4MB of VRAM...If it's anything like the original iMac (both have similar logic boards and things like that). My reasoning for this is that the ibooks always have dedicated VRAM.

buzzard34 said:
Don't be so quick about that, it's more like 64+32MB of sodimm RAM and then 4MB of VRAM...If it's anything like the original iMac (both have similar logic boards and things like that). My reasoning for this is that the ibooks always have dedicated VRAM.

Looks about right here is a good link for finding information on old macs

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/stats/ibook.html

As far as what to do about it, linux may be a good option. Its going to be quite a slow machine I mean it looks to be allmost 7 years old not going to be quick. Also as has been suggested you can run osx on it. I ran the beta to osx on a machine older and slower then this and it worked reasionably well.

Anyway at least I hope this link helps you figure out whats in that clamshell.

CFlux said:
Looks about right here is a good link for finding information on old macs

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/stats/ibook.html

Thanks CFlux, thats exactly whats in this baby. I guess they just put two sticks of RAM in there and gave me 96 megs. Well thats useful to know if I'm going to sell this beast. Do you guys think the accessories that came with the the clamshell add a bit more (or a lot more) to the overall value?

"Coughhh" Virtual Photo Frame! Best. Mod. Ever. and it runs os X fast enough to use the picture screensaver :).

sooo after two days can anyone give me an estimate on how much this stuff is worth? (don't tell me nothing or maybe $10 because an old ibook goes for pretty high on ebay)

The old way of determining resale value was to subtract $100 from the original price for every month since it was purchased new. As the math approaches zero, it levels out at its value as a collectable, or a small lingering value based on its intrinsic usefulness.

If I were in the market for a machine like it, I might pay you $200 if it were in perfect working order with all it's accessories.

Arcygenical said:
"Coughhh" Virtual Photo Frame! Best. Mod. Ever. and it runs os X fast enough to use the picture screensaver :).
As a matter of fact we did this at my old workplace with an orange ibook, except we had it still running OS9 with powerpoint displaying the pictures :p

early mac laptops had embedded ram on the logic boards. So it's likely that in your case, you have 32mb embedded on the logic board and a 64mb add-in card. I found this out after my 3400c laptop's ram card kept popping out of it's socket but the thing still booted, with 16mb ram remaining. Put the card back in and it hopped back to 48mb.

Quite ingenious for that time... shitty socket engineering didn't prevent you from booting (albeit without extensions) if your ram card shook out of the mobo.

buzzard34 said:

Well, I didn't know that. Thanks for letteng me know. I know that on a PC with onboard video, that is how it works. I figured it was the same for a Mac.

DeadlyAura said:
Well, I didn't know that. Thanks for letteng me know. I know that on a PC with onboard video, that is how it works. I figured it was the same for a Mac.

Thats accualy ony true for some pc video setups. For most on board video its up to the board manufacture to decide how and where an intergrated video card gets its ram, either from main memory or from dedicated onboard memory. Though the later happens much less frequently anymore.

Back