I just realized my dream video card.

robberbaron

Supreme [H]ardness
We wish all video cards had these levels of diagnostics and user adjustable settings. We like the ability to be able to adjust the core and memory voltages and the fan rotation speed.

This is from the X800XL 512mb review on [H]. It's referring to Abit's vGuru which allows for, well, what is mentioned. Now it seems to be Abit only makes ATi cards which aren't high end right now. But imagine a 7800GT or 7800GTX made by DFI (or Abit, since, they were the first to the playing field with this idea)? Could you imagine the possibilities? Hitting delete during the video card bios screen and having a "full" Award bios to tweak the card with on the DFI. I think that if DFI wanted to, they could create such a beastly card. Right now, all of the G70's are a bunch of faceless reference designs with a few gimmicky "factory overclocks." There are quite a few ATi cards that stand out from the bunch, but the best on the nVidia side is that overpriced eVGA KO. Just thought I'd share what I think is an awesome idea.

I really like my eVga 7800GTX KO edition. It was alittle pricy, however, I already dropped all this on the card, so whats the extra 50$ or whatever :)

But I hear you, DFI or something needs to make Cards too. Since you can tweak the living hell (literly) out of their motherboards, add more volts, etc etc, immagne what you could do with their video cards :)

USMC2Hard4U said:
I really like my eVga 7800GTX KO edition. It was alittle pricy, however, I already dropped all this on the card, so whats the extra 50$ or whatever :)

But I hear you, DFI or something needs to make Cards too. Since you can tweak the living hell (literly) out of their motherboards, add more volts, etc etc, immagne what you could do with their video cards :)

I find its more fun when you do it yourself, like modding to enable more pipes, more voltage etc. It would just be boring to go into a bios and set pipes=16. where is the [H] in that ?

memnoch7 said:
I find its more fun when you do it yourself, like modding to enable more pipes, more voltage etc. It would just be boring to go into a bios and set pipes=16. where is the [H] in that ?

The bios would of course allow vcore and vdimm along with GDDR3 timings and whatnot. Not pipeline count.

Or you could just have your card volt-modded and have much greater control over the vGPU, vMem, and VDDQ :rolleyes:

HiJon89 said:
Or you could just have your card volt-modded and have much greater control over the vGPU, vMem, and VDDQ :rolleyes:

I forgot that soldering things on the board could allow you to chage ram timings. Refresh my memory on how that's so?

Besides, this would take away the work needed for that. If you didnt want a bios for it, then get a card without one and have fun voiding the warranty.

It's like saying lanparty boards are useless when you can just v-mod a PC-Chips board "to get the same effect."

baron, ati cards can change memtimings in windows with ATI tool. and back in the day galaxy made a 6600gt with a dipswitch allowing people to go into bios, up the vcore and vdimm. only thing i can see going wrong is a n00b totally burning out his card and being like "DFI totally fuxxord my computer! 0hh n0es!" theyd hafta upgrade cooling to deal with the extra vcore and extra vdimm.

Back