I killed my Antec True 380SP - whoops!

coz

[H]ard|Gawd
I trashed my PSU today, I was running the following...........

P4 3.2C Northwood @ 3.75GHz 1.60v
1GB DDR400
6800GT @ Stock
3 x 7200rpm SATA HDDs
DVD-R Drive
Waterchill control unit (inc. 2 x 120mm fans)
120mm case fan
plus some other bits

Prime95 wasn't loading the CPU 100% (damned HT) so I decided to run the RTHDRIBL 3D program at the same time. That would load both the CPU and GPU to be a really good stress test. Almost as soon as I started the two tests and the Northy and 6800GT started sucking down the juice like a couple of electro-junkies.............POW!! Instantly I lose the video signal and the PC powers off, no warning, no nothing! It refuses to startup again, a test of the PSU reveals it's dead. The Prime95 test I was running was the new power-demanding torture test. It looks like I simply demanded far more than the PSU's 380W could provide. I've now installed my old Enermax 650W PSU in it's place, that ought to be able to cope!! Everything is working fine again now, things could have been MUCH worse though. PSU death is like Russian roulette for your PC, looks like I got away with it this time.

So, before I try that again, does it sound to you guys like a simple case of overloading the PSU and not something else I should avoid? I think I'll stick to stress testing with the 3D demo on it's own from now on...lol. ;)

Well, just doing some quick mental math on that supply and those components, i'd say you drew waaaaaaaaaaaay too much +12v. Yeah, definitly sounds like that to me. One question, however: Why were you running the True380 if you had an Enermax 660 lying around ?! ;)

Vertigo Acid said:
Well, just doing some quick mental math on that supply and those components, i'd say you drew waaaaaaaaaaaay too much +12v. Yeah, definitly sounds like that to me. One question, however: Why were you running the True380 if you had an Enermax 660 lying around ?!
I was simply too lazy to change the PSU when I put this new rig together. The 650-watter was sitting in my old Vapochill PC awaiting sale so I left it there. That bit of laziness cost me a PSU. :)

Uhm.... okay. NOT getting the Sonata now... considering I'm going to eventually switch to a64 and a 6800GT rofl...

guilTy said:
lol, did you blow a capacitor?
I didn't really hear anything go at the time and didn't see or smell any magic 'make-it-wurk-gud' smoke so I assume it was the fuse.

lol, "make-it-wurk-gud" thats funny, i know a couple of people like that being i live in Alabama. kinda creepy with a sort of "deliverence" theme

coz said:
I didn't really hear anything go at the time and didn't see or smell any magic 'make-it-wurk-gud' smoke so I assume it was the fuse.
And hopefully the overcurrent protection kicking in ;)

Vertigo Acid said:
And hopefully the overcurrent protection kicking in
Yeah, the Coz-protection circuit did a reeeeal good that time. :( :)

Vertigo Acid said:
Well, just doing some quick mental math on that supply and those components, i'd say you drew waaaaaaaaaaaay too much +12v. Yeah, definitly sounds like that to me.
No kidding. Especially with three HDDs, a power-hungry videocard and so many fans, it's a miracle this PSU survived this long.

Just be glad this system has a Northwood P4 and not a Prescott. You might just have taken out the entire neighbourhood's grid that way :eek:

Elledan said:
No kidding. Especially with three HDDs, a power-hungry videocard and so many fans, it's a miracle this PSU survived this long.
Yeah, I really forgot how much juice the 6800GT needs. I'd overclocked and stress tested with the 380W up to 3.84GHz on my 3.2C and never had a problem. That was with the 9700 Pro tho, stick the 6800GT in the mix and it killed the poor little guy stone dead. That 380W Antec PSU kicked ass too, I loved it's fan-only molex connectors for low-voltage, silent fan goodness!! I had to do a 7-volt mod to achieve the same result with my new PSU.

So, all you 6800GT/U owners, make sure you've got a beefy (480W+) PSU if you're running a power-hungry CPU and a bunch of other stuff too. If you know 'watts' good for you, arf-arf-arf. :)

Back